PDA

View Full Version : what and where is crank key?

YTM200BOY
11-29-2005, 07:22 PM
i have a ytm200ek where is and what is a crank key lol i am a noob i no but honestly where and what is it.... how do i get to it?? :confused:

hotroddal
11-29-2005, 08:03 PM
from the sounds of what your saying I would have to say you have the wrong name for it, i think it is called the flywheel key, anyways, take off the rewind and you should se the flywheel, remove the flywheel and replace the key, dont quote me on this.

Yamahauler
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I think he would be talking about the "woodruff key" or flywheel key, whatever you want to call it.

What are you wanting to take that out for anyway?

holmstrom
11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
someone told him his might be broke. Read his other posts to see whats wrong with his trike.

Tri-ZNate
11-29-2005, 08:28 PM
http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=43841 :rolleyes:

Here is a link if you want it. I think your jumping to conclusions if it is getting spark though.

Yamahauler
11-29-2005, 08:36 PM
i have a ytm200ek where is and what is a crank key lol i am a noob i no but honestly where and what is it.... how do i get to it?? :confused:
It is just a small piece of metal kind of a half moon shape.
It keeps the flywheel from slipping on the crank.
Im almost positive that isnt your problem though.

I would say its your carb.
If you arent 100% sure that your put the carb together right, take it to a bike shop and get them to do it.
Set it all back to factory specs (Assuming the bike is completly stock)

I just skimmed through that other thread and I read you had spark. Is it a nice fat blue spark, or is it kind of an orange color?

Put a few drops of gas down the spark plug hole, put in a good spark plug, then crank it over (make sure your kill switch is on) It should fire.

If it fires, but wont stay running, your carb is likely your problem.

Unclediezel
11-29-2005, 08:46 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/SMYamaha.shtml----find yor diagram, look in Crankshaft or Generator sections---it will make sense when you see the pic.

Its called a woodruff key-----
It keeps the "Timing relationship" between pulse coil and rotor magnets. You can still have a spark---it just happens way too late. (Hence the backfire)---Your pull starter is "Looser" than normal? Thats because your flywheel turns --but your crank doesnt-----Common problem- to break the key-------Ive been here almost 2 months--and Ive talked to 5 different members about broken keys---So ---yea it happens.

Yamahauler
11-29-2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/SMYamaha.shtml----find yor diagram, look in Crankshaft or Generator sections---it will make sense when you see the pic.

Its called a woodruff key-----
It keeps the "Timing relationship" between pulse coil and rotor magnets. You can still have a spark---it just happens way too late. (Hence the backfire)---Your pull starter is "Looser" than normal? Thats because your flywheel turns --but your crank doesnt-----Common problem- to break the key-------Ive been here almost 2 months--and Ive talked to 5 different members about broken keys---So ---yea it happens.

But didnt he say that it was running good before he worked on the carb? Then after putting the new float needle in, I thought he said he couldnt get it running.
Maybe its just a coincidence, that kinda stuff has happened to me quite a bit.

Unclediezel
11-29-2005, 09:01 PM
True---hauler---

But if he cranked on it with a load of gas in the cylinder--the backfire could easily trash the key. The rule here is just as everyone told him---a few drops of fuel in the cylinder and try it--If it starts--its fuel related--if it doesnt --look into ignition --or mechanical---( Compression loss--or Something Broken)

Yamahauler
11-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Well i guess it wouldn't hurt to check it.....if you have the correct puller.

Unclediezel
11-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Idiot proof---- Pop off the timing plug - Line up the "T" and make sure the piston is all the way up--

I walked thru this a few weeks ago with 71Sattellite- a 225dx- Good Compression, good spark, and 3 cans of starting fluid- Still wouldnt start,
When he took it all apart--the key was busted in 4 pieces.
If the key is busted--when you remove the nut--it will usually fall right off without a puller.

Unclediezel
11-29-2005, 09:13 PM
I just re read that--I wasnt calling anyone an Idiot-----Sorry if it came out wrong..

YTM200BOY
11-30-2005, 11:40 AM
ok guys the spark i think was blueish i also noticed that when i took my spark plug out it had gas or oil on the bottom of it what does this mean?? i has good compression and spark maybe it is carb! but all i replaced was the float valve and be4 i did that it would start but would flood :{