PDA

View Full Version : can atc250r forks be revalved?

deathman53
11-26-2005, 06:55 PM
I have a 85 atc250r(well the forks are) and I want to revalve them to have more compression, can it be done????I already have progressive springs and such, I want the forks to have similar compression characteristics as my rear elka shock. my problem is when I do whoops and braking bumps my forks compress but the rear shock doens't compress at the same rate, the forks compress alot faster and its kinda the same when jumping, the rear comes back nice and easy, but the forks spring back.

Billy Golightly
11-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I've had R forks dissasembled and put them back together again...I personally didn't see anyways to change the valving on them unless you re-drill the holes in the dampening rod. Thats fine if you want to make the holes bigger, but if you want to slow it down (Make it smaller) then what do you do? You could weld up the holes and make new ones I guess. I'd for go for a whole new front fork setup myself....Hint Hint :D

deathman53
11-26-2005, 07:15 PM
thanks, but I not really ready to get custom tripples made, buy the front end and such. I'm gonna talk to some suspension builders during the week about this. Anybody have mugen forks they are willing to sell???? I'd pay good money for them.

x.system
11-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I think your only option for something that will keep up with that elka is the new inverted forks. You don't have to get a new triple either. It's been done with stock triples many years ago.

bigyellow4x4
11-27-2005, 05:28 AM
what oil do you have in them? muve up to like a 10or a 15 w oil worked good in mine for the dunes i have 10w but next time going to a 15w

bigyellow4x4
11-27-2005, 05:28 AM
what oil do you have in them? muve up to like a 10or a 15 w oil worked good in mine for the dunes i have 10w but next time going to a 15w

deathman53
11-27-2005, 09:38 AM
I use 15 in my 200x, 15 in my woods 250r and 20 in my mx 250r.

deathman53
11-27-2005, 09:42 AM
also, I make things moe complicated I have a short track kit, I don't want to screw up those triples, and I don't have a normal factory top tripple either, I compared it agianst my other stock ones and the bar offsets are more forward on the bike(don't ask me where the guy I got my 86 250r roller for them, the bike had a partial short track kit on it too).

fyi
11-27-2005, 11:32 AM
I've never had my front shocks apart on my '86R yet, so I don't know what the dampening plates look like, but what about machining new dampener plates with smaller holes? If this is something that is feasible, we could machine something like that very easily here in the shop, having whatever size dampening holes you would want.. Let me know if I can be of help. ;)

250rAL
11-27-2005, 12:05 PM
You want to slow down the rebound, right? It's simple. There are two small holes at the bottom of the dampening rod. These are the oil return holes. Weld one shut and file it smooth. That's it. I did it years ago and it made a big improvement. No more bouncing up on landing from big jumps. I also run 10wt oil with no air in the fork.

slothminx
11-27-2005, 12:19 PM
I've had R forks dissasembled and put them back together again...I personally didn't see anyways to change the valving on them unless you re-drill the holes in the dampening rod. Thats fine if you want to make the holes bigger, but if you want to slow it down (Make it smaller) then what do you do? You could weld up the holes and make new ones I guess. I'd for go for a whole new front fork setup myself....Hint Hint :D

Could you not drill out the holes on the dampening rod larger and tap the holes so that you can screw in different sized inserts made from a bolt with a hole a certain size drilled in the middle. You could make them adjustable very easily then;)

Billy Golightly
11-27-2005, 01:17 PM
The dampening rod isn't very big around... 1/2in OD max Probably closer to 3/8. You could do that, but by the time you drill it and tap a hole big enough to put another hole inside of and still have enough wall thickness in your insert for it to not crumble your probably bigger then the diameter of the rod. Its a good idea and worth a try though.

dovesprings250R
11-27-2005, 05:13 PM
The forks off one of my R's are at ESP right now In Tujunga, ca getting serviced. If they can be revalved George over there can do it. I will ask him what he did when I get them back, I know back in the day he used to put some type of rebound adjustment on them and he still does this mod on kdx 200's. I'll let you know because He said he woul change the valving for desert riding if he could. I'll post here when I know.