PDA

View Full Version : timing plugs

jay
02-22-2003, 06:33 PM
it's time to do some timing checking. i tried to ride the other night. i have had a backfiring problem recently. when i get 1/2 throttle it cutsout and backfires. the other night it really fired off and is running bad now, 1/4 throttle if that. i have tried to get the plugs open before and had no luck. does anyone have any suggestions on getting them open?, i have an 85 250sx. i just put around $100 in bearings in it and now i am ready to ride. it's been down since august,01.

86350X
02-22-2003, 07:38 PM
First hing to do before you try the timing is to clean or replace your spark plug,,,,, I know it souns stupid but youd be amazed how much the plug can effect the performance of your motor,,,,
2. Make sure the plug boot is on there good, it actually screws onto the coil wire,, try tightening it a bit, sometimes they loosen up a bit,,, if it does not feel snug, unscrew it and cut about 1/8 of an inch of the coil wire, then screw the boot back on till it feels good and snug,,,,

Thse two very simple things can sometimes make a big difference,,,,,

Also where you say it was sittig so long,,,, Make sure your using fresh fuel, and drop the bowl of the carb and make sure there is no gunk or water sitting in there,,,, if there is, then pull the carb and give it a good cleaning ( jets, passag ways, everything)

I suggest these first because its not too often your timing will just go out of whack,,, but if you must get the timing plugs out, use a hand held impact driver ( the kind you hit the back of with a hammer),, before that though, heat th case around the plug with a propane torch and try removing them with a very wide flat blade screw driver ( sometimes tapping the butt end of the scredriver with a hammer also helps,,,,, Srry this was so long, but if any of it works let me know,,, I am happy to try to help....