PDA

View Full Version : Dim 350x headlights

tmloos
11-23-2005, 10:48 AM
I bought my first three-wheeler, an 85 350x, this summer and have been spending time making it all work like it's supposed to. It runs well, but it is cosmetically challenged, needs new plastic and some paint help. I just got the brakes to work again, and put in two new headlight bulbs. Both beams work, but they are very dim and flicker badly at idle. They brighten up with rpm increases, but they still kind of flicker. Is this a voltage regulator problem or alternator, or ???

Thanks!

TeamGeek6
11-23-2005, 11:29 AM
It runs well, but it is cosmetically challenged, needs new plastic and some paint help.

Sounds like me! :eek:

That lighting system is AC driven from the stator. The regulator is a "shunt" which means it sends excess current to ground instead of to the lights. If the regulator fails open or has a bad ground, the lights will explode in a brilliant white flash. About the only way to test for a shorted regulator is to remove it, but that sends the bulbs up in a flash of sparks.

The first suspect is ALWAYS!!! bad wiring, it plagues every Honda motorcycle ever built. One loose connection will cause this.

if you know for a fact the wiring is good and want to disconnect the regulator, FIRST remove or disconnect ALL the factory lights, then connect an old automobile headlight. If it explodes, youre not out much $$$$. That stock Honda headlight is too expensive to test with!

If you cant sort it out, Im only a few hours away and can manufacture almost anything for that system including a new wiring harness. I have an oscilloscope and inductance meter and can test the stator or any other part.

350x'inNY
11-23-2005, 12:35 PM
You said you replaced the headlights? What bulbs did you use? The OEM ones are $$$ but they are Halogen 35/36W. I think the quick cheap replacements are only 25W at the most.

Bruce

DeePa
11-23-2005, 01:04 PM
mine does the same thing...flickers a bit at idle, hit the throttle they are bright as day. WHen they are flickering tho, they are a little dimmer, but not much

TeamGeek6
11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Flicker is normal on idle because of the flywheel speed on idle is low, and the voltage is lower. That can be changed with the appropriate engineering knowledge... he he heh

Turning up the idle speed will help a little. It might be too low?

phil53
11-23-2005, 06:27 PM
check the plugs behind the bulbs. the retainer could be rusted and/or corroded. i replaced the two pigtails which i thought wouldn't do a thing, but, to my surprise it fixed my problem. my lights would be brite for a while, hit a bump and they would dim a bit.

oddball3
11-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Mine did the same. Where the bulb goes into the socket mine were a little rusty, cleaned them and they work great. Could also be a regulator problem. Check all your grounds.

Red Rider
11-24-2005, 04:14 AM
Every 350X that I've ever seen, it didn't matter whether it was idling or revved up, the headlights were bright. I say check your headlight wiring for any signs of corrosion.