PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a gas tank rusty on the inside

DavidBulzan
11-21-2005, 08:28 PM
The title says it all! Is there any solution anyone has, besides replacing the whole tank- to clean out this gas tank, or atleast isolate it so gas doesnt mix with rust. It isnt doing so good though, you can even hear rust dust sliding around inside. Its a ATC 70 tank. Thank you every one.

David

Yamahauler
11-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Do a search, there's a million threads on this. You can coat the inside with a sealer stuff.

yyz4208@aol.com
11-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Shake out as much losse rust as you can. Then use a inline fuel filter less then $2.50 at your local auto parts store . Just change the fuel filter when you change your oil. I have used this on my rusty 200x tank for 2 years now no problems

Howdy
11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Simple solution: Coat the inside with Red-Kote tank liner. Simple to use and seems to be very durable. More information: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=40728&highlight=gas+tank+rust

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=41666&highlight=Red-Kote

Howdy

ScottZJ
11-21-2005, 10:16 PM
I have heard and seen someone put a box of bb's in the tank and put the cap on it. Then shake that sucker like a mad man and empty it out.

Yamahauler
11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
yea, just count how many bb's go in, and make sure you get the same number coming out;)

85hondaatc125m
11-21-2005, 10:50 PM
what would the bb's do?

Yamahauler
11-21-2005, 11:06 PM
knock the rust off the inside of the tank.

el Pollo
11-21-2005, 11:28 PM
The BBs act like a bead blaster. But not 100% effective. I'd personally do the Red-Kote stuff. It's a simple process of cleaning out the tank with a cleaning solution, letting it dry and dropping in a liquid solution that seals and lines the tank. It'll last forever. And it's fairly popular with restoring old car tanks that have been sitting for years with a tank full of bad gas.

DavidBulzan
11-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Wow, thank you. Tomorrow i'm going to get on it!

RedRider_AK
11-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Yeh, just so you know, nuts and bolts work better than bbs.

Dammit!
11-22-2005, 01:49 AM
If you really want to completely remove the rust before using the red kote, get some muriatic acid (can get it at the hardware store cheap). All you need is about half a gallon of that stuff. Dump it in, fill it up the rest of the way with water, let it sit for a little while and poor it out. Rinse it out real good with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid, then rinse it out with Acetone to dry the moisture, THEN line it with red kote.

Thats how I did the 1985 200x that I sold. I'd bet money that it's going to hold up for another 20 years. ;)

MichiganRedneck
11-22-2005, 10:50 AM
i had the same problem with my old dirtbike. i put a handful of medium sized rocks in the tank and shook it around. dont shake it too hard. after that, dump the rocks out and flush it out with kerosene. then i coated the inside with some kind of gas tank sealant.

hoser
11-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Go to the hardware store and buy a bunch of hex nuts 1/4" 5/16 3/8 dump them in the tank put the cap on wrap the tank in some sort of padding like a old beach towel put it in your drier for a few hours in the no heat mode.

Let that sucker tumble around until it removes all the rust it can.

Flush it out good!

Heard of guys putting lead shot in the tank guess the lead when rolling around in the tank will leave a lead coating on the walls of the tank, never tried it you would have to or call myth busters heh

Kids dont let your mom catch you using her drier lol