PDA

View Full Version : Help with spark on my 84 honda atc 70

1984atc70
11-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I bought a 1984 atc70 in complete but non running condition. There is no spark on this bike. I bought one of the clymer manuals and have been running through the checks but have run into problems. For one my wiring diagram does not match theirs (e.g. my switch has blue/green wires instead of black) or the one posted on this site.

I replaced the spark plug and I checked the coil using an ohm meter. My values are either way off or I am not measuring it right.

Is there a way to check the stator without removing it from the trike? Also my bike has an unused molex type plug coming up out of the stator with two wires, and one loose black wire. I assume the black wire is what goes to the coil. Are the other two wires used?

Any other things I should check?

Unclediezel
11-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Go back and check A year forward and a year back---sometimes there is a difference "Mid year" that will take you to a diiferent diagram---RU sure its an 84?

1984atc70
11-20-2005, 11:22 PM
I was told that it was an 84 but it does not appear to be marked other than the VIN. I looked at the other year diagrams and they show the same colors for the switch.

TeamGeek6
11-21-2005, 10:28 AM
The coil will measure several thousand ohms from spark plug lead to the small terminals, and so low across the small terminals your ohmmeter may not be able to measure it, often less than 1 ohm. Those 70s use a breaker point across the stator winding and the black should go straight to the coil, if the diagrams on this BBS are the same as your vehicle.

The black wire should go to the ignition point and stator winding in parallel. Touch it and ground with fingers and have someone crank the engine, itll give you a little tickle if its putting voltage out.

Vealmonkey
11-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Check with the ground wire that is attached to one of the bolts that holds the coil to the frame. Make sure it is nice and clean, it is your only ground.

1984atc70
11-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I tried holding the black wire that comes out of the stator and grounding myself against the motor and did not feel anything at all while pulling the starter rope. Does this bike have points or anything else to adjust?

Unclediezel
11-21-2005, 11:47 PM
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/pdfs/atcspecsreference.pdf

It shows a point gap-So there must be points---Make sure they havent welded themselves together or Sprung open---They should show a tiny spark between the points while cranking her over.

MTS
11-21-2005, 11:53 PM
The points are the most common probelm in the atc 70's there behind the flywheel if i m thinkin of the right bike.

TeamGeek6
11-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Yep, that would do it, the points cause the voltage to jump up when they open. If the point was closed, you wouldnt feel any shock.

slothminx
11-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I bought a non running ATC70 very cheap, cleaned the points and re gapped the and had a runner. These engines are so simple ive found thats one of the few things that will go wrong

Tres
11-30-2005, 02:55 AM
Its a good idea to replace the condensor when replacing the points.

Just because the points are at .012 when the mag "T" is lined up with the notch on the case does not mean that the points are not bad, or at least allowing the engine to run to its full potential.

You can order the Points and condensor at dratv.com

heres some info about how to set the points....

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=56887

Oh yea ... get the mag puller its like 10.00 or something well worth the money, don't try prying it off with a screw driver

oh yea # 2 the black wire goes to the coil, the green is to run a 6v light and the other I believe is a neutral indictator type deal that when used correctly would keep the bike from being started in gear.

Cheers :beer

TeamGeek6
11-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Just because the points are at .012 when the mag "T" is lined up with the notch on the case does not mean that the points are not bad, or at least allowing the engine to run to its full potential.

Thats a fact! 012 is a little thin IMO, I go 16-20 minimum to make up for slop in the parts.

Tres
11-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Thats a fact! 012 is a little thin IMO, I go 16-20 minimum to make up for slop in the parts.

spec's are .012-.016
New Points are inexpensive
You will not get an optimal spark at .20
It may run but your not getting that jet-pack feeling :lol:

1984atc70
01-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I got the flywheel off tonight and noticed that the shaft on the flywheel that activates the points appears to be very smooth. Should there be a lobe there?