PDA

View Full Version : Idle screw

dooner17
11-19-2005, 10:42 AM
My klt160 won't idle. I've done everything, set the valves, timing, cleaned the carb countless times, messed with the air and idle screw, cleaned air filter.. It almost looks like the idle screw is rounded off and worn out, is that possible?

Howdy
11-19-2005, 10:46 AM
The idle screw could be wore. The slide in the carb could be wore also ( where it rest on the idle screw ).
Howdy

dooner17
11-19-2005, 10:52 AM
ok, I have a replacement for both so i'll start switching them. Thanks

bigredhead
11-19-2005, 11:25 AM
before you try adjusting the idle... make sure you have a clean air filter. properly gapped/ clean spark plug.. no air leaks..

Make sure your throttle cable is nice and smoth and not gritty and sticky...

hoser
11-19-2005, 12:09 PM
My klt160 won't idle. I've done everything, set the valves, timing, cleaned the carb countless times, messed with the air and idle screw, cleaned air filter.. It almost looks like the idle screw is rounded off and worn out, is that possible?

You have the air screw properly adjusted?

Have you followed the service manual instructions on properly setting the air screw and idle it is usually a good procedure if you follow it to the letter.

Your 100% sure all your passages in the carb are clean?

Once its up to full temp and you have performed the carb adjustment procedure in the service manual does the idle change when you slowly start to apply the choke if so does the idle increase or decrase?

The float level can have an affect also...

There is so much more that could be said or asked here but I think your better off reading it rather than me or someone else typing it over again, here is some great info on jetting and carb adjustments it goes into GREAT detail http://12.215.122.222/jetting1.htm

Still have questions be sure to ask!

dooner17
11-19-2005, 12:36 PM
ok thanks for all the help. The choke works perfect and it will idle high with it on. When I turn it off it wants to idle but just dies off. It used to do this because the cam chain was too tight so I took the adjuster out and loosened it but no help. The spark plug looks good, never really believed in the gap affecting anything unless its obviouly off. There must still b a piece of dirt in there somewhere. Thanks

hoser
11-19-2005, 02:11 PM
ok thanks for all the help. The choke works perfect and it will idle high with it on. When I turn it off it wants to idle but just dies off. It used to do this because the cam chain was too tight so I took the adjuster out and loosened it but no help. The spark plug looks good, never really believed in the gap affecting anything unless its obviouly off. There must still b a piece of dirt in there somewhere. Thanks

If you put the choke on (richen the mixture) and the idle goes up (were talking a fully warmed up engine here) that tells me your low speed circuit is too lean, try turning the air screw IN slowly maybe only a 1/16 of a turn at a time, allowing 30 seconds to a minute for your adjustments to react, see if it helps, again this ASSumes EVERYTHING that can affect your jetting (read articles in the links I provided) is ok....

Good luck!

dooner17
11-19-2005, 02:30 PM
ok ill try that thanks