PDA

View Full Version : 87 Big red help?

wolfspider
11-16-2005, 10:28 AM
how do you remove the rear swingarm to replace the bearings?? i`ve taken the caps off the swingarm ends and it looks like allen bolts in there?? what size is the allen key required as i don`t have anything that big,
any help appreciated,
cheer steve:confused:

Howdy
11-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure the allen wrench size, but to get them to turn you will need to loosen the lock nut on them.
As far as the allen wrench goes, I took a large bolt and ground it down to where it fit's in there like a allen wrench, and used it. I have heard of people taking a bolt that the head fit snuggly in the hole and then added to nuts to the bolt. They tightened the 2 nuts on the bolt and then put a wrench on the nuts and took the allen bolt out. Might be redneck style, but hey I know both worked.
Howdy

bigredhead
11-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Yep.. I have the hex.. and it's frickin HUGE.. but the bolt idea works fine.

To remove the lock ring on the outer edge.. you can either use a blunt punch and a heavy hammer.. or do like i did and grind down a 31mm socket to fit the the thing.

bigredhead
11-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Oh.. and it's not over...

Once you do get teh swingarm off... you will need to remove the outer race of the tapered bearing that stays in the frame.. sometimes you are lucky and you can push them out from the oposite side thru the frame itself..

otherwise a blind bearing puller will help.

or if you have a welder.. i've heard of some welding a bead on the inside of the race to make it shrink and fall out..

wolfspider
11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
ok i get the idea, but are the threads normal ie anti clockwise to undo?:confused:
and i only see a locknut on the right hand side, is that correct??
thanks for the hints and tips:beer
steve

bigredhead
11-16-2005, 02:21 PM
regular thread.

Not 100 % sure about the left side.. but i am sure about the right one. ( my 85 SX does not have the bolt on the left side... it's part of the swingarm )