PDA

View Full Version : Want to replace stock Tri-z filter with clamp on filter?

bushwacker51
11-15-2005, 07:05 PM
I have a 1985 tri-z and I was wanting to do away with the stock air box and replace it with a clamp on filter. I was wondering what some of you guys did with the over flow tank. Did you relocate it or just run it without it. Also do you know the size and name of the filter you used. A part number would even be better thank you. Glenn O.

LonesomeTriZ
11-15-2005, 07:22 PM
The filter will not clear the frame. You will have to make some kind of extension.

LonesomeTriZ
11-15-2005, 07:24 PM
This is the best photograph I have. I am sorry if it is not clear enough. If you look close enough, you can see how close the card in to the back frame rail.

twgranger
11-15-2005, 07:37 PM
I am running a angled uni filter and the frame is no problem at all. With the coolant over flow bottle i used tie straps and mounted it to the frame where the air box was.

LonesomeTriZ
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I have a piece of angled hose on mine. Could you post a photograph of the way yours is set up. If there is another way, I would love to see it.

twgranger
11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Here are some pics i just took in the dark. I also ran a straight K&N before with no problems with the frame.

LonesomeTriZ
11-15-2005, 08:03 PM
That looks good. I wonder why mine is different. I know the 86 frame doe not vary that much. I will have to do some resaerch.

mike from long island
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
i got an 86 frame. that solved the overflow bottle problem. hehe

twgranger
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
That looks good. I wonder why mine is different. I know the 86 frame doe not vary that much. I will have to do some resaerch.
That part of the frame is the same as a 85. On the angled UNI filter it angles up just right to lay on top of the frame with no problems at all. With the staright K&N filter i used before it was only like 3" lnog so it stopped right before the frame. I sold that K&N filter to jeb and he has had no problems with it either.

LonesomeTriZ
11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
I guess I am just one of those peole that get the problem parts.

twgranger
11-15-2005, 08:23 PM
bushwacker51, Are you using the stock carb still? If so here are some part #'s for filters that will work on you Z. I am using a 38mm carb so im using alittle bigger filter. For the UNI clamp on filter you would need part# 30-703 it is the two stage pod filter. Now if you want to use a K&N clamp on dennis kirk has a selection of them too. That part # is from DK.

bushwacker51
11-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I know its not a stock carb I think its a 38mm. I think I will need the angled up filter because the frame is right in the way. I think the angle would work perfect. I was wondering did it make much of a difference in tha way your trike ran after you did away with the stock air box ?.Thanks Glenn O.

2XTREME
11-16-2005, 12:17 PM
I have a 38MM carb on mine and I am running a K&N with the outerwears sock on it.It is a 45 degree boot on the filter and it does hit the frame,I think I am going to make an intake tube for it so it mounts way up under the seat.Because the filter hits the frame it makes the carb tip up in the rear a little. I want the carb to be perfectly level.
X:beer