PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer drive questions....

dblshockpower
11-14-2005, 11:50 PM
I'm ready to mount up the speedo's soon and the cables/drives are "NOS" so I was wondering if I should lube them?? as they've probably been dormant since the mfg. date of who knows when...I did spray sailkote down the cables but has anyone lubed a gear drive?...I see a small set screw but need to know if that's the way in, then what sort of grease? Bel-Ray waterproof o.k.?

tia

dblshockpower
11-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Carl A. Van Sickle has one of my heads he's reworking I may run that ? by him too.

350x'inNY
11-15-2005, 05:47 PM
350XinNy had a froozen up one he brought over on one of his trips to my place. We used 10wt oil basically all over it and got it free'd up. I might add it had alot of dirt caked in it for some odd reason but other then that particular one I have never done any preventitive steps on the 3 I own.
You might put some grease or what ever in the cable set screw hole. It sure ain't gonna hurt.

john

It had dirt packed in it because someone was using it as a random spacer on a 110 with an aftermarket front fork setup! I gave them a 350X spacer for it. :D

Maine_Triker
11-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I've come across a couple gearboxs that have the screw stuck in the housing.... kinda frustrating.... but as long as the cable turns and everything works the way it should it's fine.

I never lubed any of my NOS speedo cables... but most of them still had the original "Honda" lube in them. hahaha

Phil

dblshockpower
11-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Got some pics back from Carl, my head is ready to ship out....nice job eh?

patblkwell
11-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Wow...looks great man! I had to touch mine up a little after I got it too.

dblshockpower
11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
John, I didn't get a "before" pic but from the first set of pics you can see it was scuffed and some minor dents to the rim and can...the face was average...Carl refaced it and touched-up the paint and kinks, the main reason I asked him to take it was to have it zeroed and lubed so any cosmetic improvement is a bonus to me...Carl is a CT70 & Z50 type expert, so lets hope he'll consider more ATC work in the future.

http://www.naminitrail.com/