PDA

View Full Version : honda 250 no start

davedemented
11-13-2005, 08:08 PM
hey guys, im new to this forum only because my dad and i just got a honda 250, im not sure what year it is though, im thinking its a 86, but i know its not a big red.

my dad and i spent a weeks worth of work on this 3wheeler, new tires, new battery, adjusted everything, made it nice. so we too it out riding a few weeks ago, and it ran beautifully, we came back to where we started from to rest for a little, and when we went to go back and start it the electrical system was dead, so we thought the battery had died. a simple check of the headlight proved that the battery was still in perfect working order. but for osme reaosn there is no neutral light, reverse light, or spark. i know that it needs to be in neutral in order for there to be a spark. i tried kick starting it a few times but only resluted in a sore leg. the same thing had happened to our trx250(its a 4-wheeler) only the problem corrected itself when we went to trailer it home. we looked over all the obvious problems, and couldnt find anything. i believe it has somethign to do with the neutral switch in the trans but im not sure.

can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?

Somekindofjerk
11-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Probably just a blown fuse, nothing hard to

fix.http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC250ESx86Thru87.jpg((its the fuse labeled with a *B* wire... i tried to circle it on the pic and upload it but its to big and im too lazy to resize it....:lol:

jeswinehart
11-13-2005, 08:45 PM
But if you say it is not ,, okay. Maybe a sx modle perhaps.
At any rate ,,, there probbly are 2 wires on the right side of the motor ,,, wayyyy down low by the footpeg/rear brake area. It should have a cover over the area of the wires (reverse + neutral indicator wires). If the nuatral wire has come off or not making good contact you won't have spark and of course no nuatral light. You might try looking at that. I hpoe that is all thats the matter with your trike.

john

davedemented
11-13-2005, 08:45 PM
thanks, ill definately look into that

davedemented
11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
and i would say it was a big red, but nowhere on it does it say big red, the two side covers (the one for the kick star, and the other one that covers all the wire connectors) just say 250 on them

Somekindofjerk
11-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Does it look like this?

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sHonda1986atc250es.jpg

If so, yes its a 1986 big red 250es shaft drive!

jeswinehart
11-13-2005, 08:59 PM
If those 2 ( most valuable parts ) come off you do indeed own a bigred.
How about the headlight ,,, flip a couple of metal brackets up (1 both sides ) and the headlight comes out with about 10 feet of cord ???
If so ,,, most defintly bigred (85-86 or maybe a 87)
I can't seem to find wich wire is wich ,,, front one or rear one is what but according to my wiring manual the nuatral is gonna be coloured red/gray.
The reverse one is all or solid grey. This is true on all bigred-fourtrax-sx modles.

john

davedemented
11-13-2005, 09:10 PM
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sHonda1986atc250es.jpg

it does more or less look like tht, like the luggage racks are the same, it has the mud flaps like mine does, and mine is a shaft drive, the only thing thats giving me a hard time is all the lables are missing off of it and theres a crappy camo paint job on it, the guy we got it from for some reason decided to paint it, but yea both side panels do come off and the headlight does appear to come out and i can see a lot of cord underneath it

kdagenais
11-13-2005, 09:13 PM
If the neutral switch is disconnected the only thing that wouldn't work is the starter. Even with the switch disconnected you would still have spark. Sounds like either the main fuse blew or a bad connection from the ignition switch (behind the headlight) would be my first guess. Check a couple of these things out and let us know what you find out.

Somekindofjerk
11-13-2005, 09:14 PM
THen use the wirring diagram from previous post and find the fuse, thats probably all thats wrong, for a temporary fuse fix wrap alluminum foil around the fuse... Just dont keep it like that, its allways good to have the actuall fuse.....

davedemented
11-13-2005, 09:16 PM
ive got plenty of fuses, its jsut a matter of getting myself outside to look at it...

Somekindofjerk
11-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Lol, good luck in the nam.... LMAO

Tri-ZNate
11-13-2005, 09:37 PM
even if the fuse was blown it would still start. If the fuse was blown the lights wouldn't come on. Look at nouseforaname's electrical problem a while back on his SX, It wouldn't have neutral light and reverse lights, head lights, or electric start untill he kick started it. Turned out to be a fuse problem. Have you tried to kick start it yet?

davedemented
11-13-2005, 09:45 PM
yea, i tried kick starting it, there was no hint of even starting, and i check for spark and there was no spark. and the headlight does work, its the neutral/reverse lights that dont

Somekindofjerk
11-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Plus the 250es's wirring is different than the sx, the 250es has to have that *b* laveled wires fuse to have spark, kind of a surge protecter....

Unclediezel
11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Look closely at your grounds- Both the neutral and reverse lamps share a ground with The engine -Headlights ground to the frame--- Make sure the engine is grounded.

davedemented
05-12-2006, 06:23 PM
hey guys sorry i never posted what the problem turned out to be. after looking at the wiring diagram, and poking around with a voltmeter, i discovered that the 2 wires that plug in under the engine(the neutral and reverse grounds) were in fact disconected. i cleaned the terminals and reconnected everything and the bike started right up

YTM200BOY
05-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Ha nice to hear your bike is running i know the feeling whe nit starts again for the first time in a bit and its like x-mas as a little kid :lol: