PDA

View Full Version : clutch not working, what did i do wrong?

monster 84r
11-11-2005, 01:22 PM
i reassembled my clutch the other night, and now it wont work. when you put the bike in gear, and hold the clutch in, it still wont move. i pulled all of the clutch plates, springs, and bolts, and checked them today, everything looks good.

anyone know why my clutch isnt functioning? i dont have oil in it btw, but i dont think thats the problem.

ATCWRENCH
11-11-2005, 01:27 PM
did you tighten the clutch cable to tight when you re-installed it.

thats how I got my tecate, guy put a new clutch cable and tightend it to much and it wouldnt let the plates grab, so thought he had a blown up clutch and didnt want to deal with it so he sold it to me. I looked at it and found out what was wrong and now it rips again with little less than 5 minute worth of work.

there is supposed to be 3-5mm of play at the end of you clutch lever.

monster 84r
11-11-2005, 05:27 PM
theres tons of play, all i did was take off the bolts, springs, and plates. then put them back on and now the clutch wont work. the bike wont move with the clutch in, in gear.

ATCWRENCH
11-11-2005, 05:31 PM
did you torque everything back down to spec?

sometimes a parts diagram or schematics help out a lot so you can look at it and see if you missed something.

www.bikebandit.com usually has good schematics pics

Yamahauler
11-11-2005, 05:32 PM
if you dont have the bike running, you will find that it will drag in gear with the clutch pulled. If the springs are compressing and the internal adjustment and cable ajustment are right, put it together and try it.

monster 84r
11-11-2005, 06:03 PM
it dragged before, but now its locked up. the tires wont turn with clutch in or not. i torqued everything down snug, and the clutch feels right, i just cant figure whats wrong

Dammit!
11-11-2005, 06:08 PM
theres tons of play

Might be too much? There should only be like a quarter inch of free play in the lever.

Typically you need to have some oil in there and work it in a bit. Mine has done that before. It was fine after I got the cases back on, oiled it up and rode it a little.

Did you put the plates back on dry? You're supposed to soak them in oil before assembly.

Yamahauler
11-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Also, did you check you linkage for wear? the end of my connecting rod wore right down so it didnt reach far enough to compress the springs all the way.

monster 84r
11-11-2005, 07:03 PM
they were wet when i took them out, but i put gear oil on them before i put them back in.

your probly right dammit,

Jason Hall
11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
If you pull up on the actuator (the part where the cable hooks to) does it come rite out? If so you don't have the clutch rod engaged into the actuator. Other wise I would guess you lost the ball bearing that goes in the lifter (the ball goes between the lifter & the clutch side of the clutch rod). The clutch rod is the long rod that goes through the center of the shaft under the pressure plate, the part that has the springs holding it on. I hope you have a manual, because if not this will all sound crazy. It's alot easier to understand whats going on if you have a manual. Maybe someone could post a link that can show you a picture. Good luck man.:beer

MTS
11-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Well...lets start with the basic's....its a WET clutch I.E. PUT OIL IN IT!!...Then if that dose not work come back and ask....

monster 84r
11-12-2005, 02:01 AM
i just checked and my ball bearing is there, il try to see if the rod is in right tomorrow, its just weird because it used to work fine