PDA

View Full Version : quick! how do i remove this clutch basket?!?!?!

monster 84r
11-08-2005, 09:31 PM
sry for wasting space guys but im in a crunch, im tryiong to take off the clutch basket, and im stuck. the pics show how far i am. where do i go from here? thanks somuch.

i attached the pics

jeswinehart
11-08-2005, 09:38 PM
you will hafta flatten out the tabs around the BIG nut in the center of the basket and remove the nut. Then you be able to have it all fall apart in your hands.

Exactly what mahine is that anyway ?

john

Yamahauler
11-08-2005, 09:38 PM
get an impact (easiest way) bend the lock tabs back from the bolt in the center of the clutch, impact it off.

or if you dont have an impact....put the bike in the highest gear, put the back tires up against the wall, get a big rachet or breaker bar or something like that, and turn it off.

monster 84r
11-08-2005, 09:40 PM
its a 84 250r, i cant find a socket big enough for this thing though, i might have to break it loose with a large crescent wrench :cry: i dont think im that desparate to get it off though.

Yamahauler
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
That'll be tough, you'll have to angle it in there to get to the nut cause it is so far back in the basket. Also, the handle might not give you enough leverage

Unclediezel
11-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Beg - borow -or steal if you have to -but get a socket---Wrench will round that off so bad you will never get it off and after you round it the socket wont fit.

Yamahauler
11-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Yea, it would surprise me if you were able to get that off with a wrench

Nick_n_ii
11-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Try Auto zone they loan tools of all sizes

monster 84r
11-08-2005, 09:49 PM
i checked on borrowing a torque wrench from auto zone, they wanted a 100$ deposit, and it wasnt that nice of a wrench.

no worries though, im getting one lent to me tomorrow.

jeswinehart
11-08-2005, 09:50 PM
My manual says to use a 27mm deep well socket. I was looking to see if it was backwards thread but appears to be a normal pattern (counter clockwise to loosen ).

john

Yamahauler
11-08-2005, 09:52 PM
It is normal thread on tri-z's, tri motos. I would imagine is the same for that.

bigredhead
11-09-2005, 12:18 AM
You can buy single sockets at autoparts stores etc... Canadian tire. or Princess Auto.. etc.. about 5 to 10 $ for a cheap one... 15 to 20 for a good quality one.

The thing with tools is once you buy it, take care of it and just like a manual.. it pays for itself many times over in no time flat.

I have a 27mm for my SX hubs, i wish you were close...

NO CRESENT WRENCH.. for the love of god man... don't do it... no..

monster 84r
11-09-2005, 01:13 AM
haha i was acting a little crazy on the crescent wrench thing... ive gotten rid off almost all of mine. they only strip stuff.

you guys are right, i was just in a rush to get it off i guess :( instead of messing it up, i just put the plates and everything back on, and ill go and buy the socket at auto zone.

wish me luck. thanks jeswineheart for the socket size, il pick it up tomorrow.

i put the plates back on with a little gear oil, and now the clutch isnt working like it should. ive got everything snug, but when i pull the clutch, the bike doesnt move like it used to :( il clean the plates off tomorrow. thanks for all of your help!