PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust valces on an SX?

Tri-ZNate
11-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm hearing a little tick tick from my engine so it probably time to adjust the valves.

1. How do you adjust them?
2. What tools do you need?
3. Where can you get the tools?

Unclediezel
11-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Other than basic hand tools--Just a feeler gauge-Which you can get at any auto parts store-(If the old guy up the street doesnt have 5 of them laying on his garage floor)-

Adjusting them should be covered in any service manual-but if you consider basic engine charachteristics--if an intake valve is open-exhaust has to be closed --and vice versa- Disabel your ignition-crank the motor around until one of the velves opens- and adjust the OTHER ONE.Repeat procedure for the other valve and your done-

jeswinehart
11-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I follow a manuals imformation when I can ,,, I ain't saying the other way would not work but I don't think I would want to try it either.

also about any topic can be found in the search area located at the very top of the forum pages. http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24916&highlight=valve+adjustment

john

Huffa
11-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Naaah, don't do it like mentioned above.

Here it is from the manual, that is if it shows up ok.

Tri-ZNate
11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
thanks huffa. Pics help much more than words.

Huffa
11-06-2005, 09:08 PM
thanks huffa. Pics help much more than words.

Yea, I know. If you need it larger I can email them. I just simply took a picture of it right on the screen from my manual disc. I don't know any other way to retrieve the info off of disc.

slothminx
11-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Huffa,

A better way of capturing whats on your screen is when you have what you want to show on the screen press the button on your keyboard that says Print screen, prt scrn or somthing similar, mine is above my number pad. This takes an images of what you have on the screen. Go to paint and paste it in there then save as a JPEG and you should be good to upload it here, will be the same quality as what you see ;) give it a try

Will

ChrisG
11-06-2005, 09:38 PM
How difficult is this to do? I read what is posted but I never did anything like this before.

jeswinehart
11-06-2005, 09:51 PM
It is all about your confidence level imo. It certanly ain't one of my favorite chores too do but basically it is normal maintence.
To practice ,,,, just check the gap on your machine ( both intake + exhaust ) . That will tell you if they even need tinkered with and you won't be wrenching on it at all.

john

Unclediezel
11-07-2005, 08:10 PM
oops--sorry -Just re read that and it was supposed to say if you cant get the manual-then consider ------

I would NEVER "Wing -IT" if I had access to a svc manual---

BUT- with the piston at TDC- both valves are closed-when you adjust them-
As long as the valve is closed-you can adjust it---
What better way to ensure an Intake valve is closed than an Open Exhaust valve????????