PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z winter project

ThreeWheeling
11-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Here is this winters project or projects. There is actualy 3 complete trikes there, one of each year. The 85 I picked up this summer, and the other two I traded a couple of 200x's for last month. Im starting with 85 first (love that bumble bee look) and then the 86. Staying with the stock look and build on them. Im going to rebuild the engine, never rebuilt a 2 stroke, so Im sure I will have lots of questions. I cant wait to get at it, its been a busy summer (got married), didnt get to ride much or get my hands dirty. Looks like I will be in garage a lot this winter, hope it doesnt get me divorced LOL.

twgranger
11-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Looks like fun!

Darius1502
11-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Have fun man...Z's are great bikes. I re-assembled an restored an 86 about 2 years back. Here it is:http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/members/DSC01420.JPG

mike from long island
11-06-2005, 05:44 PM
best of luck to ya. i did this yellow one about 4 years ago. and now i have started on an 86. heres a pic of that bike so far lol. just waiting and saving for parts. need anything let me know i have some extras left still mike

ThreeWheeling
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Those are some sweet trikes guys, hoping mine will turn out half as nice. Im sure you will hear from me Mike, I will need some parts, Thanks.

mike from long island
11-06-2005, 09:50 PM
i am hoping my 86 Z turns out as nice as darius1502 did i love that thing. been looking since i seen his finished. it will be somewhat stock but not all the way lol

Darius1502
11-06-2005, 11:11 PM
MIke you are too kind. I know yours will be much better than mine.

I wish I still had the old pics of restore (lost in a computer crash). They were great pics.

I don't ride my Z so it still looks tje same.

Here is the trike at about 98%...I added a new kill switch, countershaft sprocket cover, etc.....at this point I had never even started it.

I cranked her about 1 month later. She started on the 2nd kick and all the lights came on...including the temperature warning light. My wife can attest....it was an awesome thing!!

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/readersrigs/DariusTriZ.jpg

Orangecnty250r
11-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Darius your machine motivated me to go 86 as well....Ive always thought it was perfect....Winter is coming upon me so its almost time for those winter projects to begin....Darius did you see my thread about finding the airbox warning label??

Stu-Pedasso
11-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Good luck with it! Their will be a whole fleet of restored tri-zs on 3ww in the spring.

Kintore
11-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Good luck with it! Their will be a whole fleet of restored tri-zs on 3ww in the spring.

Yep:w00t:

As soon as snow hits my unit it getting a new piston and some other goodies.

Sounds like a great winter project!

ThreeWheeling
11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Man you guys are making me think things over. That 86 look is really growing on me. Plus the extra gear and larger forks makes real tempting. A question for anyone who has rode the 85's and the 86, can you tell a big difference between the two?

Kintore
11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Major difference is the 5 speed and 6 speed gear boxs. And the 86 has bigger/wider/beefer front forks. I like 5 speed for the track. 6 speed for open crusing and more general stuff. Dont get me wrong the 6 is awesome and so is 5, 5 might be a little faster on the track due to less shifting, but nothing huge.

LonesomeTriZ
11-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I would start with the 85. I did and I am glad. biulding an almost stock Z has helped to identify the things I want to upgrade when I biuld my 86. Here is the 85 almost finished. As soon as the shock comes back and the carbs parts I ordered come in, she will be back on the trails.

Darius1502
11-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Darius your machine motivated me to go 86 as well....Ive always thought it was perfect....Winter is coming upon me so its almost time for those winter projects to begin....Darius did you see my thread about finding the airbox warning label??

Its going to be great to watch your projects come together. What is the deal on the airbox cover decal?

I don't know if I want on one my trike because I have a nifty 'tri z' logo there....but tell me the scoop!!