PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my 'unrestored' 250SX

tkm
11-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Here's the story. Owned this thing since new. Ridden very lightly by my father (he bought for himself originally) for a few years after purchase, then I started to get into quads in 87-88 or so and his interest started to die off in ATVs. And as you know, late 80's was a bad time to try and sell a 3-wheeler! So, other than a few rides every now and then, it has basically been setting for the last 20 years or so (Build date on the trike is 6/84!).

Over the last month or so, I went over the bike and cleaned it up, replaced the few items on it that were missing or broken (thanks servicehonda) and basically gave it a once-over. It truly amazes me that such minor parts are still available new.

The trike is unrestored--it really is in that good of condition. Still has original tires and original everything. I put a K&N on it and a cobra muffler (but I'll be going back to the stock exhaust more than likely). Next mod is aluminum wheels and some new Ohtsu tires. I'll save the oem rims/tires in case I ever decide to sell the thing.

Pics:

http://tmeade.mystarband.net/atv/250sx_1.jpg
http://tmeade.mystarband.net/atv/250sx_2.jpg

nouseforaname90
11-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Not a bad looking SX. I didn't know that they said "HONDA" on the forks though.. or did he add that??
And is there a dent on the top of the tank or are my eyes deceiving me?

Yamahauler
11-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow, that thing is really nice. If I was you, I would keep it original, but thats up to you.

tkm
11-04-2005, 11:49 PM
I added those stickers on the forks way back in like 88 or so when I was still young, so that's why I left them on there, lol. I'll probably end up taking them off. I also stuck one on the rear grab bar. Guy at the Honda dealer gave them to me way back when.

No dent on the top of the tank. I think it's a shadow from the handlebars or something.

I have all the stock parts and will keep all of them as long as I own the trike.

Huffa
11-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Not a bad looking SX. I didn't know that they said "HONDA" on the forks though.. or did he add that??

"Not a bad looking SX" :lol: You crack me up! It's almost like your saying there is room for improvement. :rolleyes:

I'd have to say it's the nicest stock one on 3WW or anywhere else that I ever saw! PERIOD ! That's with out a doubt a 1500 - 2000 dollar machine you got there! :beer

Since it still has original everything, isn't the foam filter shot, as in disinagrating?

Good idea on the tires & wheels TKM, I'd do the same thing. Just beware that the SX has much less of a selection wheel wise because the diameter of wheel in back must be large enough to except the brake drum assembly. This has been discussed a few times already.

With the tons of tire selections though, I would think twice about going with Ohtsu's again though.

Here is what I am running on mine. Maxxis All Trax on rear & AMS Fox A/T on front. All tires are stock sizes. Maxxis - $52 Fox - $30

mad_max
11-05-2005, 12:28 AM
If I had a original SX that nice I'd opt to keep it original

Maine_Triker
11-05-2005, 12:40 AM
I am going to have nice dreams tonight I think. :)

Huffa
11-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Well basically that is what he is saying and is keeping all the original parts.

So you still have your SX too I see. I saw that on a few classifieds I think.

The only thing I can pick out that is wrong with Tmk's SX is that it is not mine! :lol: ...........although mine is not bad at all either.

1984kxtTECATE
11-05-2005, 12:53 AM
I am going to have nice dreams tonight I think. :)

Most people dont consider a dream a trip to a hotel room with a bottle of lube and some tissues and a picture of that SX, lmao, just messin with ya. That is defiantly the nicest SX I have ever seen, and welcome to the board.

Maine_Triker
11-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Most people dont consider a dream a trip to a hotel room with a bottle of lube and some tissues and a picture of that SX, lmao, just messin with ya. That is defiantly the nicest SX I have ever seen, and welcome to the board.
Really? I guess I'm not "Most people" than... :eek:

1984kxtTECATE
11-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Really? I guess I'm not "Most people" than... :eek:

Im just gonna pretend I didnt read that, lol.

thedeatons
11-05-2005, 01:19 AM
So... ever the salesman, I must direct you to our "Your pictures in a magazine" thread in the open forum.... we need nice original shots like this..... Reader's Rides here you come... James

Stu-Pedasso
11-05-2005, 01:48 AM
That is one very nice SX.

Tri-ZNate
11-05-2005, 02:12 AM
thats hot :naughty: How many hours are on that thing? like 10?

tkm
11-05-2005, 03:41 AM
If I had to count the hours, I'd definitely say under 100, maybe under 70 or less. You lose track after 21 years or so. I know my dad rarely rode it, and when he did it was with a small lawncart attached to the oem hitch raking up leaves an such. I rode it to soccer practice back in middle/high school on occasion, but that was only about 4 miles from my house.

Other than that my quad saw most of the action. I went from a Honda ATC 125M to a Suzuki Quadsport. Before that I had an ATC 70 (still wish I had that one too!).

The oem tires (PV301's) are still made. I was going to at least put that back on the front, maybe some 9" Ohtsus on ITP Aluminums on the rear, just to keep the oem theme going on. I'll still have the stock stuff if I decide to go back to that. Not like I'll be doing any serious mudding with it.

Want me to put up a few more pics in the "Your pictures in a magazine" thread? I might try to get some tomorrow when the sun is out as those were taken in the late afternoon.

edog
11-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Wheres the tissues.:lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t: :welcome:

edog
11-05-2005, 06:47 AM
I think it is a shadow from the gas cap.Or at least a reflection.

Vealmonkey
11-05-2005, 07:51 AM
That's a really sweet ride. The last trike I had seen sitting for 10 years, looked like it had been sitting in the ocean. Did your dad coat that thing with cosmolene before he stored it? You must have a very large climate controlled garage. Since this trike is so nice, why don't you get a 70 and redo it? Ride Safe.

bigredhead
11-05-2005, 12:37 PM
B- * T FUL

That SX is in awsome condition.. wow...... The plastics still shine ! and the paint next to the shift lever is not even worn off... phew..

Don't ever sell that thing man.. you will kick yourself if you ever do !

chris200x
11-05-2005, 12:47 PM
That thing is just beggin for a mudhole! :drool:

Kintore
11-05-2005, 01:14 PM
That thing is just beggin for a mudhole! :drool:

lol that thing is begging for a museum.

Thats in awesome shape too, dont sell it. Ride it with pride, you deserve it!

Darius1502
11-05-2005, 01:58 PM
That thing is awesome. Certainly the niceest trike I have ever seen....and right up there with the most mint.

Take care of that thing and if you sell it...I hope it goes to someone who will appreicate it like the good folks on this board.

All it takes is one season in the hands of a ******* to turn that rare beauty into another beat down old trike.

What a great memory and thanks for sharing....

tkm
11-07-2005, 12:40 PM
That's a really sweet ride. The last trike I had seen sitting for 10 years, looked like it had been sitting in the ocean. Did your dad coat that thing with cosmolene before he stored it? You must have a very large climate controlled garage. Since this trike is so nice, why don't you get a 70 and redo it? Ride Safe.

The 250 was *never* put away dirty. It was always washed before it went back into the barn. When I was living at my parents, I put it away and coated the frame and motor with WD40 whenever it sat for more than a few days. I also put Formula 2001 on the plastics (Armor-all type stuff made by Turtle wax in the bright green bottle). I think this contributed to how it remained in such good condition.

I also did the same to my 93 300ex, and even though they still make the quad today I got $2500 out of it, when new ones are selling for just a little over $3K.

So, do that from day 1 and there is no reason why the ATV should not stay showroom fresh.