PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a 200x ever bend a sprocket?

conig
11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Subject sums it up one of my toys has a sprocket gaurd I am thinking of removing. I was wondering if any of you guys have ever bent up your sprocket trail riding. I just noticed 200x's don;t have quards so I figured I would ask.

fleetosc
11-03-2005, 12:01 PM
I've been riding my 200x for 20+ years and have never bent a sproket. It actually got bent bad after about a year and I took it off.

I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket one but they are over a $100

hondatrikesrule22
11-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I've been riding my 200x for 20+ years and have never bent a sproket. It actually got bent bad after about a year and I took it off.

I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket one but they are over a $100

$100??Man I guess I got a good deal. I got a BRAND NEW set of Renthals for my bike for $35.:wondering

bigredhead
11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Seen lots of guys with them off.. never seen a problem before.

conig
11-03-2005, 02:54 PM
thanks guys that what I needed. the sprocket gaurd is just a 3/8 inch ring of steel thats like 9 pounds.

hrc200x
11-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, I've seen a bent rear sprocket on a 200x from running without a skid plate. We were flying down a forestry road in 5th gear and came over a hill and there was a large rock sticking out right in the middle, he wheelied over it but the sprocket hit and bent it to a 45 degree angle, we bent it back with a rock and kept riding. I also had a very small rock get stuck between two sprocket teeth after going through a mud hole, when the chain came around to the stuck rock it broke a tooth off, a skid plate might have helped in this situation.

Arn't Renthals handle bars, not skid plates?

Glenn J
11-04-2005, 09:26 AM
It's really really rocky where I ride. While the PRM plate is pricey, it cheap insurance IMHO. Nothing is worse than breaking down on the trail. Better safe than sorry.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8181/prmplate18lf.jpg

Cody
11-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Yes, I've seen a bent rear sprocket on a 200x from running without a skid plate. We were flying down a forestry road in 5th gear and came over a hill and there was a large rock sticking out right in the middle, he wheelied over it but the sprocket hit and bent it to a 45 degree angle, we bent it back with a rock and kept riding. I also had a very small rock get stuck between two sprocket teeth after going through a mud hole, when the chain came around to the stuck rock it broke a tooth off, a skid plate might have helped in this situation.

Arn't Renthals handle bars, not skid plates?

Yea, I think he missunderstood. Haha, every time iv bent sprockets I never get them straight again. The chain always pops off. :lol:

xman23
11-04-2005, 10:49 AM
yea id leave the plate on there man, its just gonna cost ya more money inthe long run, and 9 pounds isnt a whole lot of wheight to save when * loose ** protection, and where did * buy a sproket for 100 bucks, the place right by my house sells new ones for like 30 bucks, they seel all over the united states

fleetosc
11-04-2005, 03:53 PM
yea id leave the plate on there man, its just gonna cost ya more money inthe long run, and 9 pounds isnt a whole lot of wheight to save when * loose ** protection, and where did * buy a sproket for 100 bucks, the place right by my house sells new ones for like 30 bucks, they seel all over the united states

Do you have a link to the product? PRM charges $99.95. I've been putting it off and am probably going to regret it soon.

firefirefire90
11-04-2005, 04:21 PM
my swinger doesnt even have holes for the swinger plate?! dang it doesnt look aftermarket. Never bent a sprocket though

Rm250RF900R
11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
If you don't have skid plates around here your in for a lot of trouble. So many rocks its ridiculous. Better being safe than sorry.

Glenn J
11-07-2005, 12:09 PM
my swinger doesnt even have holes for the swinger plate?! dang it doesnt look aftermarket. Never bent a sprocket though

I ripped mine off about a year ago...skid plate and all. The stock mounts are thin and after bending over time, develop cracks. Once some water gets in there and rust sets in, it's only a matter of time. I had someone help me fab up some steel brackets and weld them on for me.