PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed?

Unclediezel
11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Ive been an auto mechanic for amost 20 years and have used a Tachometer almost every day- At the risk of sounding Stupid-- Do 2 cycle rpm readings get cut in half?? idle spec is 1500--I cant get lower than 2000 before the bike just putters out-.

TeamGeek6
11-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Yep. There are twice the number of power strokes vs a 4 banger, so its divide by 2. I dont know if a 4 banger tach can be read out then divided. I had a nice little inexpensive 2/4 stroke clamp on tach from an auto parts catalog (http://www.esitest.com/cart/325.html) until the new ignition system destroyed it.

It didnt like 1 1/2 amp spark current for some reason ???? LOL

2 strokes refuse to idle low like 4 strokes, lowest Ive gotten is around 1000-1200 and if it goes too low, they can suddenly start running backwards - strangest thing you ever saw.

Unclediezel
11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
The backwards thing I have seen--and there are plenty of things that can cause that- Ive heard of guys that mounted their pulser coil on the wrong side of the plate- Broken crank shaft keys severly retarding timing--and my personal favorite-Intentionally----My Buddys did that to me years back- If you push start a Non reverse equipped 2 stroke backwards- It starts -backwards - then you put it in neutral and wait for some unsuspecting soul to hop on and take off---

TeamGeek6
11-03-2005, 11:25 PM
hahaha. They sound different running backwards, but most wouldnt notice it. When I was playing with a GM HEI system on the 250R, it would do it regularly, and also try to break my ankle when kick starting it. Fired so hard and fast it kicked the piston down and ran backwards.