PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Treasure!!!!

2XTREME
11-02-2005, 05:10 PM
I got a 10" Douglas aluminum rim and Hoosier flat track tire off of ebay today.I am jacked to get it. My tire selection for the front of my Z just multiplied by a hundred.I paid dearly for it.Oh well,It isn't something you can just purchase anymore.
X:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :beer

YTM200BOY
11-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Nice pick up

twgranger
11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
You can run the 10" douglas wheel made for the 250r on the tri-z but you need the 250R hub. You can still buy them new.

Jeb
11-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Is it the Hoosier Tri-Trac Front Tire? Just has some straight grooves around it? Please post a pic. That's a cool find. :beer

OldSchoolin86
11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
You can run the 10" douglas wheel made for the 250r on the tri-z but you need the 250R hub. You can still buy them new.
Ya, good score but you'll need a different hub then the Tri-Z one to run it like twg said.

2XTREME
11-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Ya, good score but you'll need a different hub then the Tri-Z one to run it like twg said.
The listing said it came off a Z.I asked the guy numerous times if he was sure.He assured me that he even had the front Z hub if I wanted it also.I will post pics as soon as I get it.It is the three rib Hoosier.I paid $226.00 shipped.It was alot,but I figured it would be worth it for better tire selection.Then I can get a ribbed sand tire for the front also.I put in a high bid of $269.95,I am glad it didn't go that high.LOL
TWG,
Were you one of the bidders on this tire rim set up on ebay?I noticed your ebay name is the same as it is on here.
X:Bounce

2XTREME
11-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Here are the listing pictures.I will take some on the Z when I get it next week.
X:Bounce

Derrick Adams
11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
I got a bad gut feeling you got took on that wheel.

Hope not though, that would be sweet!

2XTREME
11-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Man,I hope not.mywifeknowseverything on 3w.org says that indeed Douglas made this wheel on special order only.He thinks this may be one of them.Cross my fingers.
X:wondering

mike from long island
11-05-2005, 05:08 PM
i bid on that bad arse tire too. lol i only went to $100 didnt need it that bad. glad a member got it. best of luck with it mike

mywifeknowseverything
11-05-2005, 05:25 PM

If it was a Wheel made for the Z.....Why would you need a Honda Hub:wondering

Ive talked with Douglas......They WILL make one for the Z...:idea:

twgranger
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM
If it was a Wheel made for the Z.....Why would you need a Honda Hub:wondering

Ive talked with Douglas......They WILL make one for the Z...:idea:
What im saying is that you can run a 250R rim and hub on a Z. I never said you need a 250R hub to run a Z rim.

mywifeknowseverything
11-05-2005, 05:36 PM
To me you just made it sound like you thought that was a 250R Rim...Which,,,,It very well could be....And you would have to use the R Hub....

2XTREME.....I NEVER said it was for sure a Z Rim...I just Said that Douglas WILL make them.....

At any rate....I hope it is...If not no big deal....Just get the R hub:beer

OldSchoolin86
11-05-2005, 05:59 PM
2XTREME.....I NEVER said it was for sure a Z Rim...I just Said that Douglas WILL make them.....

I don't know when you talked to them but they said there was no way they would go any bigger then the R pattern. The Z is quite a bit bigger. I spent a lot of time in that research and talked to several people over there. If you do know they make it please find us the part number, they keep parts numbers for everything including special orders.

Just so everyone knows it's only about $100 for a brand new wheel from Douglas for the R. If you need the info check out this thread on it:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=40363&page=2&highlight=10%22+douglas

Blown 331
11-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I have an R hub if anyone needs one.

mywifeknowseverything
11-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I don't know when you talked to them but they said there was no way they would go any bigger then the R pattern. The Z is quite a bit bigger. I spent a lot of time in that research and talked to several people over there. If you do know they make it please find us the part number, they keep parts numbers for everything including special orders.

Just so everyone knows it's only about $100 for a brand new wheel from Douglas for the R. If you need the info check out this thread on it:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=40363&page=2&highlight=10%22+douglas

OldSchoolin,,,,I talked to them about 3 yrs ago....They said they could do it:wondering ....At that time it was a Lady doing the special Orders... Since then it has been in the back of my mind to get one....I will check again and make sure..Now you have me wondering:(

Derrick Adams
11-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Did you ask for a 10" wheel or 12"? Isn't the Z bolt pattern like 8" across? I don't see that leaving any room for a 10" wheel. You would have 1" of room to make a rim between the hub bolt and the tire.

I really think he's going to need to get that hub the guy had. Or measure the bolt pattern on the rim when it comes and see if it's even an R pattern. To me it looks smaller than that.

mywifeknowseverything
11-05-2005, 09:05 PM
I was Shooting for an 11" Rim....But she said she could go down to 10"........

This whole Freakin Wheel thing is gonna Keep me up tonight:( :p

mywifeknowseverything
11-05-2005, 09:07 PM
4/205 I believe is the bolt pattern with 3+3 offset

2XTREME
11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
I email the guy I bought it from and told him to hang onto the hub for me because I may need it.He emailed me back and said he already sold it.He said this tire combo was his neighbors and that he was selling it for him.he also said his neighbor only owned a Z.This is why he was sure it was for a Z.This still doesn't mean that it wasn't for an R.If so who ever bought the hub off of ebay will be getting an R hub instead of a Z hub.(Man this is getting Confusing).LOLOLI will be able to put this mystery to rest this week when it comes in.Then I expect a Scooby Snack.LOLI hope and pray that this is a Z's pattern.it will be bitchin if it is.Now if it isn't then if I use the R hub I can't use the front caliper RIGHT?I thought I read about this before.That would suck.I like using the front brake.Please someone tell me that the Z caliper will work on a R hub and wheel.The banshee carrier mod I am doing is taking enough energy right now,I don't need another headache.I will probably ask for my money back form the guy for listing it wrong.
X:wondering :wondering :wondering :wondering :wondering :wondering

twgranger
11-05-2005, 10:13 PM
The Z caliper will work with a couple of spacers.

2XTREME
11-05-2005, 10:45 PM
What is this Hoosier tire worth?Do they still make it?I am looking for some recourse if this isn't a Z wheel.I will give the guy the chance to refund me some of the money because it's value wouldn't be what I paid for it.Man I am not going to sleep untill I see this thing.The picture definatly looks to be too small on the center and the bolt pattern.I just had a thought.When this guy listed his wheel I asked him what size the tire said on it.He said it didn't say on it.So he measured it himself.maybe he isn't measuring it correctly,It could even be an 11".The only thing he said is it measured 20X8X10.Anyway I am just babbling.
X:wondering :wondering :wondering :wondering

Derrick Adams
11-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Ok, here's the good news and the bad news (IMO) The good news is, i'm willing to bet that the wheel will fit your Z! After you install a 250R front hub and rotor assembly.

The bad news is, you have to purchase a 250R hub and rotor assembly.

After comparing that picture to some Z wheels and R wheels and doing some math, I can't see any way that bolt pattern is 4x205.

If I remember my conversions correctly, Standard to Metric is 25.4. That makes the 4x205.... 8.07" from hole to hole. So you need 10" for the tire that gives you less than 1" on each side between the hole and the tire. Now, looking at that picture it looks like more than that to me. Since we know it came of a Z and we know the R hub fits, I would lay money that it's for an R hub at 4x170 or 6.69" from hole to hole.

Some other bad news is that your rim is a Douglas Blue label which is the .125 thickness and can be ordered for the R in a 10" design for less than $100.

I would be talking with the guy you got it from and let him know it was misadvertised after you make sure it does not fit. Also tell him the cost involved in converting to a Honda hub as well as the availability of the Douglas wheel NEW for less than $100.

2XTREME
11-08-2005, 07:00 PM
I should see it tommorow.Derrick,Do you know exactly how much I can get the 10"R rim for?
X

2XTREME
11-11-2005, 03:55 PM
The Verdict is in!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry:
Not even close to fitting!!!
DAMN!!!!
Well I email the guy to let him know,But havn't heard back yet.Can anyone measure in Inches across the studs center to center,and top to bottom on a 250R for me.I want to see if this is what it is for.The Hoosier tire has bad weather cracks parallel to the tread.In the ebay listing it said these items were in "Great Working Order".I would have to put a tube in the tire and then it would probably split on me.The Rim needs polished in a bad way.Anyway I am expecting my money back,and then buying a new 10" rim for an R and a hub and rotor.The guy is a nice guy,I think he will be good about honoring his neigbors mistake.
X:cry: :cry:

twgranger
11-11-2005, 05:03 PM
The Verdict is in!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry:
Not even close to fitting!!!
DAMN!!!!
Well I email the guy to let him know,But havn't heard back yet.Can anyone measure in Inches across the studs center to center,and top to bottom on a 250R for me.I want to see if this is what it is for.The Hoosier tire has bad weather cracks parallel to the tread.In the ebay listing it said these items were in "Great Working Order".I would have to put a tube in the tire and then it would probably split on me.The Rim needs polished in a bad way.Anyway I am expecting my money back,and then buying a new 10" rim for an R and a hub and rotor.The guy is a nice guy,I think he will be good about honoring his neigbors mistake.
X:cry: :cry:well that sucks.

Jeb
11-11-2005, 05:14 PM
That old hooiser front is cool. I wouldn't mind having that tire. But I wouldn't pay much for it cause I know the kind of cracking your talking about. I have a set of rear hoosier tri-tracs that are weathercracked very badly to go with it! :lol:

Some where I have a pic of a custom tri-z front hub made of aluminum that was probably designed to fit a 10" rim like the one you got. Not sure who made it, it could have been home-made. The rim you have is probably just the honda 250R model from what was then mitchell, now douglas.

see if the guy can get you the pic of the hub he sold.

2XTREME
11-11-2005, 05:45 PM
That is exactly what it say's is mitchell.I am pretty disgusted that it won't fit.I put air to the tire and dipped it in water.It holds air which I am surprised.What size are the rear Hoosiers you have?I can polish the wheel,that is no big deal,But I paid way to much for this set up.I am going to look at a friends R this weekend to compare the bolt pattern.
X

OldSchoolin86
11-11-2005, 05:59 PM
The R is a 4/170 pattern, 170mm = 6.6929 inches.

Jeb
11-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I don't blame you for being upset. You gave a lot of loot and didn't get something you could use. But hey, look at it this way. That rim is an original mitchell and the hoosier 3-wheeler front is scarce. It's still all period correct, old-school flat-track racing treasure. :beer

My cracked up hoosier tri-trac rears are the equivalent of 18x11-10. These are the ones that have the big, flat triangular knobs.

2XTREME
11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeh,There is a bright side to everything.I just measured it and it is in deed a 250R wheel.The weird thing is I told the guy this and he said he had an R and this didn't fit.That it was way to big????????:wondering
X

BigGreenMachine
11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
man that blows, kind of sucks but you did score some oldschool parts. I don't know of anyone that has a Hoosier front. Hope you get some cash back.

James

2XTREME
11-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Ok, here's the good news and the bad news (IMO) The good news is, i'm willing to bet that the wheel will fit your Z! After you install a 250R front hub and rotor assembly.

The bad news is, you have to purchase a 250R hub and rotor assembly.

After comparing that picture to some Z wheels and R wheels and doing some math, I can't see any way that bolt pattern is 4x205.

If I remember my conversions correctly, Standard to Metric is 25.4. That makes the 4x205.... 8.07" from hole to hole. So you need 10" for the tire that gives you less than 1" on each side between the hole and the tire. Now, looking at that picture it looks like more than that to me. Since we know it came of a Z and we know the R hub fits, I would lay money that it's for an R hub at 4x170 or 6.69" from hole to hole.

Some other bad news is that your rim is a Douglas Blue label which is the .125 thickness and can be ordered for the R in a 10" design for less than $100.

I would be talking with the guy you got it from and let him know it was misadvertised after you make sure it does not fit. Also tell him the cost involved in converting to a Honda hub as well as the availability of the Douglas wheel NEW for less than $100.
So a honda R hub/rotor will work.Do I use the R axle or the Z?Do I use the Z spacers or the R ?

LonesomeTriZ
11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I have a 12 inch Douglas front rim for a Tri-Z. it clearly has the label on it. An dit is for sure, with out a doubt not a stock rim. I did not realize they were so hard to come by. I was nto even trying to find this one. it fits a stock Tri-Z hub with now problems.

twgranger
11-14-2005, 06:23 PM
So a honda R hub/rotor will work.Do I use the R axle or the Z?Do I use the Z spacers or the R ?
You use the Z axle and spacer. You will have to use some washers to move the caliper over a hair so it will line up with the brake disc.

TRIZTUNES
12-02-2005, 09:54 PM
hey!!!!!!!!

just wanted everyone know that this hoosier flat-track front tire is nowhere near as bad as he said. there is 1 or 2 cracks in it ,and it is in the tread not sidewalls.

just so you know I am the proud owner of this tire and rim!!!!!!!

got it for a good price too!!!!!!!!

TRIZTUNES!!!!!!!!!

2XTREME
12-03-2005, 02:41 AM
The guy said he sold it to you for the same price???Doesn't matter I wouldn't want it myself.Not for $226.00. I don't run cracked tires,Have fun polishing that rough wheel.:beer
X