PDA

View Full Version : Overheating?

Unclediezel
10-31-2005, 12:32 AM
hi guys-
Any of you have a baseline idea of when to worry about overheating on a trimoto 125, and what would I look for? Pounded it up a real steep hill today and exaust started glowing. I backed off a bit and it cleared up. I didnt notice any change in the way it ran , but I havent seen that before, Any suggestions.?

MTS
10-31-2005, 12:40 AM
I wouldnt worry about it overheating as long as it is jetted right, most pipes start glowin when your workin the bike hard...or are jetted really lean, what dose your plug look like after a plug chop?

firefirefire90
10-31-2005, 12:46 AM
a good time when you can tell the engine is overheading is when the whole thing starts to shake aand then blows. lol

Unclediezel
10-31-2005, 12:50 AM
Actually--Ive never done a chop- The bike sat for almost 20 years, today was only the second or third time Ive ridden it since I got it running. I just dont wanna hurt it after all this time.

Unclediezel
10-31-2005, 12:51 AM
No -no shakin-in fact - I thought it ran better for those few minutes-but that could have been my imagination-

TeamGeek6
11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Thatll either ruin the piston/exhaust port if its a 2 stroke, or torch the exhaust valve if its a 4 stroke. Red header is caused by fuel burning on the exhaust stroke. Red steel is about 2000- 2500* F and thats in the exhaust system, its a lot hotter than that back in the cylinder. Had an old cop car engine that did that with two burned exhaust valves.

brapp
11-01-2005, 10:40 PM
when the headderpipe starts glowing its runnign lean, and i woudl immaging you were winding it out pretty good, would check the airfilter is solid and intact due to the bike sitting a while, and try and pull the plug and throw a new one in and do a plug chop to see how its jetted.

Unclediezel
11-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Air filter-??????????---Oh you mean that glob of dust in the airbox- lol--Changed it as soon as I got the bike- And yeah , I was hard on it-and probably will never see that kind of abuse again--I didnt trust auto luber -so I dumped about 4 or 5 oz into the tank for "Insurance" ---Is that a Problem????

TeamGeek6
11-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Extra oil doesnt usually hurt unless it fouls a plug. Ive run as high as 10:1 premix in my 250R. Killed every mosquito in the State.

bigredhead
11-02-2005, 11:14 AM
I"d empty the gas tank.. flush it out.. clean the petcock.. and re-mix a fresh batch before anything else.

OldSchoolin86
11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Thatll either ruin the piston/exhaust port if its a 2 stroke, or torch the exhaust valve if its a 4 stroke. Red header is caused by fuel burning on the exhaust stroke. Red steel is about 2000- 2500* F and thats in the exhaust system, its a lot hotter than that back in the cylinder. Had an old cop car engine that did that with two burned exhaust valves.
Actually if you check, a lot of the new pipes glow. High exhaust temps are just part of life and with the thinner metals being used being they heat quicker. In this case you are correct that something needs to be fixed but FYI it's no alarm in newer systems.

bigredhead
11-02-2005, 12:03 PM
hi guys-
on a trimoto 125, ?

New technology ????? lol...

Rm250RF900R
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I could be wrong. But the tri-moto is oil injected correct. By mixing the oil in with the gas. The oil injector would still be working even without the oil in it. So, would it be sucking in air causing it to lean out? Like the blasters. A lot of people mix the oil in with the gas. But, they buy a oil block off kit for the oil injector. It's just a thought. Because my friend doesn't use his oil injector on his blaster anymore. But, he also doesn't have a oil block off kit. Ever since he started mixing the oil with the gas its been running like crap.

OldSchoolin86
11-02-2005, 12:27 PM
New technology ????? lol...
I missed someting here, who said it was new tech?

Unclediezel
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
True-yes it could lean out--but the bottle is still full- I added some to the tank also-just for General purposes it was only a few oz in a 2gallon tank- But if the injector stopped working -At least I would have something

Rm250RF900R
11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Oh, I get what your saying. Good idea. I would never trust a oil injector. I used one on my snowmobile for 10 years without a problem. But, maybe the snowmobile ones are made a lot better.

Unclediezel
11-02-2005, 12:58 PM
I made one hell of a bug repellent-- But as Im starting to think- Would the exstra oil in the combustion chamber raise Compression enough to cause the added heat build -up--- Plug didnt foul out- it looked a tad bit dark , but nothing that I would stress -out over. OR--Should I just stop pounding on IT??LOL

TeamGeek6
11-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Would the exstra oil in the combustion chamber raise Compression enough to cause the added heat build

No. Not unless it was a quarter inch thick or some ridiculous amount. That carbon is an extremely good insulator of heat (amorphous carbon) so it would tend to keep the heat in. Some of the more in-depth automotive engineering texts talk about detonation as a result of heat build up from carbon deposits and thats a big problem in cars, because Joe Average motorist cant remove the heads and fix it.

OS - i realize what youre saying about thin metals, but the Turner II on my R is one of those paper thin racing exhaust systems and the temperature on the pipe at the hottest point doesnt go much over 550*F in the summer while being beaten to death.