PDA

View Full Version : Carb ideling probs

Tri-ZNate
10-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Ok I'm trying to get my 200 big red running for chrisG and all I have left to do is getting it to idel. My problem is once I start it up it idels real high and then when I hit the gas It revs even higher. At first I thought the choke or throttle might be stuck so I checked them out and they are fine. Next I moved on to the possibility of a air leak in the manifold making it rev real high. So I took some carb cleaner, sprayed it on and it didnt make it rev any higher. Any Ideas?

Dads
10-30-2005, 09:20 PM
check that the clip is still holding the needle down in the slide, may be floating.

Tri-ZNate
10-30-2005, 10:04 PM
It should be since its a brand new carb but I'll be sure to check tomorrow.

tri-z_250R
10-30-2005, 10:17 PM
check that the clip is still holding the needle down in the slide, may be floating.
i was just going to say the same thing.

has it ever idled right since you've had it or did it just start reving high?

Tri-ZNate
10-30-2005, 10:27 PM
The last carb was vanished all to hell so chrisG bought a new one for it and now I'm at this point. Its a totally new carb that was just put on like 2 days ago and hasnt ideled yet.

Glenn J
11-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Check the condition of the slide near the throttle stop screw. Mine had a few "dents" in it and I could not set the idle; it was too low or too high. I used a spare slide I had and that solved the problem. I've heard of people filing or sanding down the dents on the slide. It's time consuming, but I guess it works.

ChrisG
11-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Its a brand new carb though: I purchased it from http://www.dratv.com/sttyreca325.html ,so there should be nothing wrong with the slide or the carb for that matter.

trikes4life
11-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Try turing you idle screw out if it isn't already out. And try oiling your trottle cable a little.

bigredhead
11-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Check the threads on the cable.. where the cable connects to the carb's top cap.. when you thread the cap on the carb ( the part with the slide ) it can thread out and just dangle around and not seat properly on the return.

ie: Thread the cap onto the cable all the way.. so that when you thread the cap on the carb.. some threads are left on the cable/cap side to hold it still.

does this make any sense ? hard to explain....

edit: Another way to think of it..... your brake cable.. you know the adjuster portion.. thread in for slack.. out for tighter as the pads wear !!!!..... same idea but on the carb cable..

tri-z_250R
11-01-2005, 05:02 PM
make sure the slide is in the right way, i once put mine in backwards (doh!) and it would idle very high.

Tri-ZNate
11-01-2005, 05:31 PM
make sure the slide is in the right way, i once put mine in backwards (doh!) and it would idle very high.

thats what I'm thinkin right now. At the moment the throttle cable isnt at full slack, well like you press the throttle cable with the tip of your finger and it keeps going till 3/4 throttle then it is taunt. I need to get a plug to because right now its not getting spark and the plug looks a little black.

Tri-ZNate
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
:rolleyes: yep the slide was in backwards. I can now press the throttle and there is taunt in the cable. This is my first time dealing with a slide on a carb so I didnt know it could go on backwards, I thought it went on way only. Thanks guys.

tri-z_250R
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
yeah when i did that i thought the same thing, i felt so stupid when i figured it out, lol. anyways good thing it's fixed.

jermtoad
04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
there is a guide inside the carb and a slot on the slide I know I learned the hard way tooo lol is it runnin ?