PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Bolt on Suspension 185s

Vealmonkey
10-25-2005, 03:15 AM
I finally got the software going for the camera so here are a few pictures of my Bolt-On Suspension 185s. It has both front and rear suspension, Supertrapp exhaust, Durablue Hubs, Douglas rear rims and Holeshots. Hopefully getting a polished aluminum front wheel within the next couple days and need to get a nicer front tire. It's not a showpiece, just a fun rider.

traxxasx
10-25-2005, 04:32 AM
wasent that a non suspension trike? wow now it looks bad. looks like a 250r or sumthing i like it. was the swing arm the bolt on suspension for the rear? Good job man.

cragster
10-25-2005, 07:38 AM
lol thats cool for a 185

chris200x
10-25-2005, 07:42 AM
What is that tank from? That is the sweetest 185 I've seen on these forums so far. I like that you left the front fender off. makes it look sporty. It just looks like alot of fun just parked there. nice job!

Vealmonkey
10-25-2005, 11:58 AM
I think the tank is a clarke tank. And yes, it was a rigid frame, you cut the solid rear off, and the plates that hold the swingarm and the upper shock mount all bolt on into place. They can also be unbolted in about 15 minutes. The front end is aftermarket also with machined triple trees that take some kind of dirtbike front forks and there are 4 bolt holes on the underside of the bottom triple tree that could be used to bolt on a 250r, 200x or 350x front fender. The fender would just be bolted to the triple tree though, it wouldn't move with the wheel and tire. I've been having so much fun riding it, I haven't had much chance to detail it out. I'm almost afraid to try and make it too nice. The bolt on rear suspension kit probably wouldn't be too hard for someone to remanufacture and is pretty easy to install.

Jeb
10-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I like that trike! I'd like to see it without the mud flaps and with a front fender.

The tank is cool. Great trike!! :w00t: :beer

slow200s
10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
thats sick! im doing a suspension conversion on my 200s hope mine looks half that good when done!

how does it ride the bumps?

nice job!

96YUKON
10-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I must have missed the story. Where did you get that rear suspension? Looks awesome. I've been trying to figure out if I should convert mine. I think you just made up my mind.

Rm250RF900R
10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
You can sometimes find suspension kits on ebay. I think there really rare though. I think if you put a front fender from a 250r or something liek that it would look real nice. But, even so, you did one hell of a job. Looks great :beer

Vealmonkey
10-25-2005, 02:09 PM
I did get the suspension kit off ebay. The kit was a complete modified frame and the front end kit and suspension kit with the rear axle, which is a stock 185s axle assembly. It had no engine, fenders or wheels and tires. I had a nice 185s runner that gave up it's drivetrain. I saved that matching number frame and didn't cut it up. It takes the bumps real nice. It has some pavement, yard and trail time on it and I'm really happy with it. I don't know if you would want to jump it though. I've been trying to pay special attention to the bolt on parts and make sure none of the bolts are coming loose. All the nuts have nylon inserts and haven't given me any problems. I just need to detail it out some. I'm not sure who made the kit and all the nuts and bolts are american thread sizes. There was someone on here saying they would make custom swingarms, and I bet they could remake this kit pretty easy if they could weld the custom swingarms, because none of the other parts are welded. And if you had access to a cnc mill, you could probably make some money, as the kits should fit the 185s and 200s frames.

96YUKON
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I ran across a 200x rear end at Bob's Boneyard, a local junkyard for bikes. He even had the front end, matter of fact he even had a whole frame incuding front and rear shock.

I was debating if I should use the 200x back end and build a rear suspension for my 185s or to leave the bike stock. It seems like I could almost buy a 200x for about the same price it would cost to convert my 185s to full suspension and add a new tank like yours. I still need to add the front triple tree and shocks to my non suspended bike too. $.

I appreciate you showing that picture. I've been looking for a 185s with rear suspension and a 200x like fork on the front.

Now I'm more confused than ever.:wondering

OldManDM
10-26-2005, 12:38 AM
if you`re gonna go that far 96Yukon,you should just get that whole 200x frame you`re talking about and put your motor in it making it an auto-x.....the rear supension kits for the hardtail trikes are nice,but won`t hold up long for any hardcore riding.....i had a PK Racing bolt on kit on one of my 185`s back in the early `80`s...it was a really clean,well made kit,but my riding ability progressed beyond what the kit was capable of handling and it ended up in the scrapheap.....but for the average rider,they work great!

96YUKON
10-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah, one of my thoughts was to get the 200x frame and take as much out of my trike as I could and convert it over however I think I'll just keep it and add front forks to my 185s.

As you mentioned it would be best to get something ment for riding instead of a conversion kit. I'm thinking I'll just look around and pick up a 200x and I can have two trikes for the price the conversion might cost.

Mike_Ham_250R
10-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Dude!!!!!!!! That is one nice 185s ya got there!!

trikes4life
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I seen that on there about a month or two ago right!

monster 84r
10-26-2005, 09:06 PM
that 185 is downright sexy. great job!

slow200s
11-16-2005, 03:25 PM
are you running an air box or air filter on that?

Blown 331
11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Is this it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4580250186&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
I wanted that thing so bad, I'm pissed I didn't hit the buy it now. Somebody find me one of those kits! I'm great with metal fabrication, anyone know where I can find plans to build my own? I guess I would just make it myself, any suggestions on a swing arm?

Vealmonkey
11-16-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm trying to find a K&N filter and sock that fits. I've only basically only run it around yards until I can get it detailed out more. The ebay auction you show is a weld on suspension kit, mine just bolted on. If someone had access to a cnc machine, it would be easy to duplicate this kit. There is someone on here who said they are making swingarms, they could probably copy the whole kit and there could be lots of suspension 185s and 200s trikes around. The kit just bolts on in about an hour the first time you put it on and then it only takes 15 or 20 minutes to unbolt it. The frame and the rest of the kit were sent to me by ups. It uses the stock late model bearing carrier and axle for the 185s and still has the adjustment for the chain tensioner, it is quite ingenious how it is put together actually. And it is really a nice ride. Not as good suspension travel as an auto 200x, but it does very well. Many of my friends wives and girlfriends have ridden this trike with no problems. And the 185s motor runs really well. If you put another cam in it, it would really scream. Someone should really try and copy this kit. Blown 331, if your a good fabricator, why don't you just try and graft a 200x swingarm onto a 185s or 200s frame?

Vealmonkey
12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
A couple people have requested pics of a suspension 185s put together so I thought I'd just bump up my old thread. I hope everyone enjoys it still. There have been a change or 2. The plastic tank and seat have gone to trizilla to get his project going, but I had managed to secure a hi flite seat and a stock tank so I'll try and get pictures of them soon on the trike.

gotballs 250r 82
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
That looks like a old school 82 250r( WORKS) shock i have one on my 82 r it way better then stock shock nice job...:TrikesOwn

oscarmayer
12-29-2008, 08:40 PM
looks sweet man!

FoxRider001
03-18-2009, 11:58 PM
how much did you pay for the kit?

Vealmonkey
03-19-2009, 01:37 AM
I won the kit on ebay and can't remember the price exactly but it was over $250. It came with the frame and all the bolt on parts and the swingarm. I just switched all the parts over from a stock 185s that I had and I was up and running with suspension in less than a day. All the bolt holes use counter sunk allen bolts and nylon nuts so everything has remained nice and tight. I check my nuts and bolts regularly though as I don't want any problems. The trike never sees any really hard core riding so brakeage hasn't been an issue. I try and keep in mind that this trike isn't a 200x. A weld on suspension kit is alot sturdier than one of these bolt on kits, but I've only seen 1 other bolt on kit so they are very uncommon, maybe even going so far as to say rare. I'm sure most people just probably beat them to death and junked them once they were all ragged out. This kit will never be treated like that. It's too cool and unigue to just rag out and throw away and the world is full of 200xs' to do stuff like that to this kit anyway. These kits or the weld on kits haven't been made since the early eighties.

userj8670
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Pat,

That is awsome. almost makes me want to go buy that 1980 185 for $125. Just dunno how common parts are for it.

Vealmonkey
03-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Your engine and drivetrain parts would be very common. The frame would be sort of uncommon and I think your plastics would be uncommon. I'm pretty sure you engine would be switchable with pretty much any 185/200/s model. I don't think the 200 big red engine would be switchable though.

userj8670
03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Whats the top speed on one of them? Do you think its worth it?

Vealmonkey
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
The top speed is way faster than a non suspended trike should go! LOL At least 50-55 depending on tires or gearing. With a suspension kit, you have a real suspended rear end and you can use nicer tires and be much safer. Are you trying to win a race at trikefest or something? If you want fast, 200x or 250r or 350x. You have to realise what these non suspended trikes are, and racers they are not. High speeds and hardtails don't mix too well.

hawaiirider
03-20-2009, 12:25 PM
vealmonkey, is it possible to weld on a working suspension on my shaft drive 185? its probably going to determine if i keep my kawi or build another bike up. im not sure if the shaft will pivot? it doesnt look like it though

Vealmonkey
03-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Hawaiirider, I don't have any idea, but it doesn't sound very doable. It sounds like a whole lot of work. It's probably not impossible if you are really determined, but I'm sure there are much easier and cheapers ways to go about it. It would probably just be easier to start out buying a trike with suspension and going from there. No idea what shipping would be, but I've received whole bikes throgh the mail, just in several packages. I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but there are enough decent members on here that if you were to purchase a trike on the mainland, that they would be willing to disassemble and send to you in the mail. Keep us posted as to what you are doing. I'll be happy to help you if you would like. I'm not sure what kind of trike you are looking for or what you are looking to do with it. I know I have an extra 185s suspension frame and I have a rebuilt 185 engine with a 200s cylinder and a 200x cam and such if you need a suspension frame set up. If you are looking to do lots of hard riding, you may want to look into a sport trike like a 200x or 350x or you may want to look into a shaft drive trike with suspension like a 250sx. Let us know what you want to do.

hawaiirider
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
vealmonkey, well ill be outa of the service and back on the mainland soon enough where my trike is. the only trike made i seem interested in is the polaris one. its electric start has reverse fully auto and its a two stroke!! but it got bad reviews so when i get home if i cant put rear suspension on my kawi do to no cv joints allowing the shaft to bend im just going to build one w a snowmobile engine in it, has reverse 2 cylinders electric start and auto, a perfectt utility trike.