PDA

View Full Version : Trikes are motorcycles?

BigGreenMachine
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Read somewhere the other day that trikes are classed as motorcycles and now I cannot for the life of me find where I read it. Would really like to find that place online where I read it so I can go about working around the legalities of making my T3 a street machine. Some clarification would be much appreciated.

James

Unclediezel
10-24-2005, 10:02 PM
On the certificate of origin to my Yami 125 it IS classified as a motorcycle-Back in the day They Were Called ATC's (All Terrain CYCLES)

Unclediezel
10-24-2005, 10:05 PM
IT may be A lil tuff--They were also stated as being ---
NOT INTENDED FOR PUBLIC STREETS OR HIGHWAYS -OFF ROAD USE ONLY

Tri-ZNate
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes according to the Department of Motor Vehicles Almost anything that has less than 4 wheels is a type of motor cycle due to only one wheel in front or back.

BigGreenMachine
10-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes according to the Department of Motor Vehicles Almost anything that has less than 4 wheels is a type of motor cycle due to only one wheel in front or back.

Thank you. If thats the case then the only real issue would be some DOT tires and a headlight and tail light. Motorcycles aren't inspected around here so no need to get the signals, mirror or horn jurry rigged for an inspection. I don't see why I couldn't do this...:D

Vealmonkey
10-24-2005, 10:38 PM
I don't know this as gospel, but I believe that after 1971, motorcycles were federally mandated to have turnsignals and at least 1 rearview mirror. Some states have different rules. I know here in Maryland it makes a difference if you go to have a motorcycle inspected. If you had a 3wheeler frame that took a street motorcycle engine, I don't believe that it would be a problem to still have the trike registered as a motorcycle. That is what happens when you put a 3wheeler conversion on a streetbike. But it still has to have working turn signals and all that kind of stuff. Different police officers can sometimes be a determining factor, as some police officers are more strict about the rules than others. Alot of times with motorcycles that are on the edge of the rulebooks, the more of a fool you act after getting pulled over, the more they throw the book at you. Try and find an aftermarket frame that takes a streetbike engine like a rd350 or honda cb500 or cb750, they made them. Good luck with whatever you do and keep us posted how it goes.

bigredhead
10-24-2005, 10:42 PM
you may have read that from one of my replies.

My local insruance broker " Champlain Insurance " here in Moncton NewBrunswick told me they classify as a motorcycle as far as price for the insurance.. yeah... something like 400 $... christ..

The solid rear end is also a factor with off-road only use. need a true differential for street use i beleive.

foster
10-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Also in NB (not sure about Nfld. but it is likely) before you can put something like that on the highway they will most likely want a certification of road-worthiness from an engineer.
They are giving jacked up trucks a very hard time around here. The cops and the gov't say that any severely modified truck needs to be certified by a (mechanical?) engineer.
I bet they'd pull the same stuff on you if you tried to put a trike that is only for off-road use on the roads.
But I'd love to hear about it if you try it. Let us know how it works out if you do it!
Hey, if they can put a Harley three wheeler on the highways, why not a Honda 110? Muahahahahahaha!

BigGreenMachine
10-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I've already done the streetbike thing with my old CBR. Only things I need to be legal are a horn, one mirror and a working head and tail light. I only had a head and taillight (not even a speedo or tach) on my CBR and NEVER had any trouble from the fuzz. No inspections for motorcycles here either.

bigredhead, you say 400 for insurance for ** SX? Thats just public liability though right? Fire and theft?

bigredhead
10-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Liability only.. no fire .. no theft. ( i can't imagine what they would want .. if they even offer it )

brapp
10-25-2005, 08:17 AM
the only way to do it her ein pa is to take a dual sport dirtbike, and fabricate it into a 3 wheeler and get a modified title. or build one from scratch out of a existingt street motorcycle. but whoever said after 71 bikes must be equiped with horn , mirior,turnsignals, brake light, hi and low beam headlight, and dot aproved tires and here in pa also a protection from getting your feet run over.

OldManDM
10-26-2005, 12:44 AM
i`d definitly check your local laws...way back in the `80`s i looked into trying to get one street legal and they said there was no way due to the solid rear end/no differential aspect...said it made them too difficult/dangerous to turn on paved roads...and not just dangerous for the rider but for other motorists as well

Huffa
10-26-2005, 05:43 AM
I don't know about where you guys live but I have noticed street bike trikes like Harleys and Goldwings are definitly on the move as far as the # of them I have been seeing lately.

Sort of odd that they don't make ours anymore but the 1200-1500cc ones for the road are gaining in #'s, although they aren't production.

They have some real beautys out there too!

:wondering If they are legal, what's to stop us from making a 350X or something legal? Wheelbase must be a certain length, have a certain width or what?

Now that would be cool! I'll bet in some states they are legal. Anyone know?

kando
10-26-2005, 07:07 AM
I think as long as you meet signal, tail, and headlights. rear view mirror, and highway tires you would be okay.