PDA

View Full Version : RESTORATION pic's ,an awesome pair !!!!

sandpuppi101
10-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey Gang : As promised I finally got the time to show you all some pics of the newest restoration too Muddogs Restorations.The machine actually has quite a history with it and I am probably gonna keep her! I found it in the weeds awhile back and after looking her over I saw on the bottm skidplate a makeshift trailer hitch that was made out of some flatstock and bolted down.Amazed I looked it over again and found paint on the underside of the seat.Paint that I had put there back in the fall of 1984,That's right this used to be my machine ,I sold it back in the fall of '84 to a couple from the next town over so I could get my '85 200X. When I got it home I checked it over somemore and was then 100% positive of my discovery.21 years it had been and I was absolutley gonna fix her up!! I did a frame up Restro,every bolt taken off,every spec of paint removed ,and new fenders added.It is a 1982 honda ATC 185S and runs like a champ.The motor was gone thru-carb also and I think she turned out pretty good.I am gonna ad a hitch this round to but this time ,it will be a Hondaline one.LOL Also in the pic is a twin '82 ,but the other is a ATC 200.I think they are a pretty impressive pair.As if I am gonna ride the 185S,Yep ,Without a doubt! And I am sure I will have alot of cocktails just looking at her because it's home for good now! I did pic's of the whole process and will be sending them in soon for the restoration page, so you all can see step by step how it went!!!:)

3leggeddog
10-23-2005, 09:09 PM
looks real good man,now it's time to run er in some mud!!!!!!!

Maine_Triker
10-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Looks sweet just like all your restos do :D

Tri-ZNate
10-23-2005, 09:52 PM
wow pretty cool story. Nice restores too

BigAir660R
10-23-2005, 09:52 PM
nice job man !

jrb71
10-24-2005, 12:22 AM
nice job . looks very professional

Darius1502
10-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Wow...two great trikes from a great time in ATC History....1982.

I would say the wave was building fast in that year...and then in '83 to 85 things just went crazy!! Great trikes!!

Lomax
10-24-2005, 01:02 AM
nice, makes me miss my little 185s that i had

sandpuppi101
10-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the compliments,I am on the 350X's now!! Those things are gonna be real nice!!

sandpuppi101
11-12-2005, 08:28 PM
A good question was brought up in a thread by the Deatons and I just thought I would bring up a past thread and reinterate on the subject! Something was said about why would you spend the money into restoring a 185S instead of a R or T3 or a us90.I am gonna be honest and tell you that I was speechless,speechless that, that was said on a trike website .I ain't knocking anyone at all and I take no offense to anything but gang,this is where it all started,this is a piece of History that most of you young guys have never seen,this is part of atv heritage! The atv world did'nt start out with the Tri-Z or 250R or T3,It started out with baloon tires for suspension ,them it inovated into rigids with a bigger motor,and that is where the 185S fell.A restoration is something to look at and remember ,kinda like the old pic's me and the older gang looks at from time to time ,but a restoration is better than a pic.Those are just my insane thought's!!!

Dammit!
11-12-2005, 08:33 PM
I would restore a 1981 110. That was the trike I learned to ride on. :)

A 70 would be a fun project to. I like seeing anything on three wheels restored even if the only ones I enjoy riding are sport trikes.

Great work by the way.

chris200x
11-12-2005, 09:09 PM
A good question was brought up in a thread by the Deatons and I just thought I would bring up a past thread and reinterate on the subject! Something was said about why would you spend the money into restoring a 185S instead of a R or T3 or a us90.I am gonna be honest and tell you that I was speechless,speechless that, that was said on a trike website .I ain't knocking anyone at all and I take no offense to anything but gang,this is where it all started,this is a piece of History that most of you young guys have never seen,this is part of atv heritage! The atv world did'nt start out with the Tri-Z or 250R or T3,It started out with baloon tires for suspension ,them it inovated into rigids with a bigger motor,and that is where the 185S fell.A restoration is something to look at and remember ,kinda like the old pic's me and the older gang looks at from time to time ,but a restoration is better than a pic.Those are just my insane thought's!!!

Dude it was a joke. :lol: I have restored a 200x and a 250sx so far. Not to the extent of some of you guys but none the less I was very pround of them. Oh, and sandpuppi I started riding a 225dx back in 85' when I was 11. So now you could relax a little bit. :lol: :w00t:

sandpuppi101
11-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Chris ,I hope you did'nt take that as a attack on you at all, I was just saying that I thought all trikes are worthy ,There are no hard feeling at all.I see you wised up with old age going from a Yamaha 225 DX and upgrading to the Honda's (LMAO)!!!!

185sguy
12-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey sandpuppi101, Those are some nice wheelers! Awesome resto job on the 185s! I just found this site and it is great! I didn't know anybody else was as crazy about these ATCs as I am. I have the first ATC that I learned to ride on. A 1983 ATC 185s. I have been searching for NOS parts for about four years now. I got some before Honda started to discontinue parts. Do you have any sources you want to give up as to where I can find honda parts? Also on your 185s did you polish the pullstart cover? Looks shiny. Cool! Also what is the best way to clean up the engine cases and the front sproket cover to get them to look new. Yours looks like a new part . Is it just cleaned or new? I have a sand blaster but I'm not sure what to blast with yet. Walnut shells maybe? I want mine to look showroom new when I'm done also. Let me know if you have any tips. Thanks a lot.

sandpuppi101
12-31-2005, 11:16 AM
First off welcome to the board,if you like three wheelers you have come to the rite place! As you have surely found out in the past 4 years Honda NOS parts are not very readily avaliable from the dealer any more on most parts.Some are still kicking around in different regions of the country but most likely they are gone.I would say that one of my biggest sources for parts is here on the forum or myself as far as getting quality parts.You can also go on E-bay ,which is fine but the quality of used parts on there is sometimes IFFY ,if you are not farmilar with the seller.I have been restoring Honda ATC's for many years and I restore them with quality parts that either I have restored or have gotten from reputiple people ,to whom I deal with.I appreciate that you like the machines,when I do a restoration,I actually have alot of planning going into it as far as how I am gonna do it,before one bolt or screw is removed.And it is not uncommon for me to have as many as 5 projects going on at one time,so a gameplan is very important.Doing a single project would be less strainuous but still lots of planning is involved.Feel free to contact me at Muddogsrestros@aol.com if you have any more questions!

ATC777
12-31-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey, nice job on those bikes. They look really good...:cool: :cool:

Huffa
12-31-2005, 12:17 PM
I just love stories like that. As much as I like to look at restores, I like to hear the history behind them also. That's 1/2 the excitement of a restore which leads up to my main ?

You said you found it in the weeds but the story goes dead from there.

Did you buy it back, just load it up and take it home because it was abandoned or what?

What happen anyway that the poor thing :( was left in the weeds ?

BTW..........I have a decent one myself but is sold till the guy pays it in full. They are nice machines for what they are.

Yours look great SP !!!!!!!!

185sguy
12-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey thanks, sandpuppi101. I will probably have some ?? along the way. I might email you. Man, seein all the 350x pics on here makes me want my85 X back!!

sandpuppi101
12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Huffa ,the one in the pic is the one that I found in the weeds,it is the one that I had as a kid that I sold back in 84 to get a 200X.I found it and bought it,it was rough ,but after the fact it was all worth it!! The 185S is home for good now!

Trike Dude
12-31-2005, 01:35 PM
That is the exact same pair my nieghbors bought brand new in '82. I remember riding the crap out of the 185 and a getting to ride the 200 some. Always thought those tires on the 200 were huge, but I wasn't all that big at the time either(10).