PDA

View Full Version : battery not recharging 200es....

dblshockpower
10-19-2005, 11:43 AM
where would a guy look first?

tia
dsp

sublime68charge
10-19-2005, 11:47 AM
my first look would be to check all the connections to make sure that they are tight and clean and not all correde up. after that, I would be asking the same question.

good luck

Rm250RF900R
10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Maybe its time for a new battery. When batteries die they won't hold a charge.

thefox
10-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Maybe its time for a new battery. When batteries die they won't hold a charge.

That is where I whould first look. Motocycle/ATV batteries are only ment to last 2-3 years. Sometimes you can go longer but once it is bad it wont hold a charge.

bigredhead
10-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Got a multimeter ?

set it to V-DC.. if it's a dial type .. set it to 20v. if digital .. then don't worry about it.

check the voltage before you start the motor. ( should be 12.5 to 13.x v, any lower than 12v and it's dead. )

Then start the machine and let it run a while... check again.. should read 14v or so after a bit..

post back with the results.

dblshockpower
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
I have two batteries from '03, I'd assume they're good because they typically go almost ten years for me. This 200es gets a battery charge through the cdi? eh? that little shell shaped unit up atop the cylinder...not much to go wrong with that.....must be a loose connection....was just wondering if anyone has solved this before.

thefox
10-19-2005, 07:18 PM
This is what I do if my battery goes dead.

1) Take the battery out of the machine
2) Fully charge it with a trickle charger
3) Check it the initial voltage when it is done charging
4) Keep checking the voltage over the next day to see if it drops

The voltage may drop slightly right after you take it off the charger but then it should stay constain, if not then the battery is bad. You can aso use one of the float tester as it is suposed to be more accurate but I just got one so i haven't had a chance to use it yet.

If the battery is found to be good then it is time to start looking for a drain. The CDi unit should only be for spark, not charging. Do you have the repair manual? I can get some scans if you need them....

TeamGeek6
10-20-2005, 10:35 AM
This 200es gets a battery charge through the cdi?

..not much to go wrong with that.....must be a loose connection....was just wondering if anyone has solved this before.

The charge is not from the CDi.

Solved this before, yes, on both Goldwings in the early 1990s and ATCs. Bad wiring is the # 1 problem, the connectors oxidise and loosen and break contact, this is especially bad for terminals that pass high current like in the charging system.

Put a known good battery in, or jump in a car battery, and see if it charges. If not, remove and reconnect all the plugs in the electrical system several times and see what happens.

Battery should be 12.4 - 12.6 in a fully charged battery, the vehicle should charge at 14.4 or so.