PDA

View Full Version : 350x oil leak?

kb200x
10-18-2005, 04:12 PM
i have a 86 350x that is leaking oil only when its rode? seems to be coming out of the front sprocket or behind the front sproket? there is oil on the chain and swinger skid plate. The chain did pop off a few weeks ago and i thought it must have cracked the side cover. I removed the cover but it was fine and didnt look like it could leak oil there even if it was cracked. I have not had time to pull the sprocket to look behind it yet and to be honest I'm scared that its going to be cracked in the case. Is there a seal or anything that could have went out? please someone say thats what it is. Or if it is the case whats the best way to repair it?

Thanks,
KB200x

TtownJoeShow
10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
yes there would b a seal for the drive shaft

Old 179
10-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Hey kb,

Pull the sprocket, see whats behind it! Won't do you any good just wondering about it! Hey, good meeting you and the family the other week down at Paddy's Bluff! I have the Honda Manual to repair your problem. I get down your way twice a weekend. Welcome to use it if needed. Keep me posted if I can help.

NOS_350X
10-19-2005, 01:50 AM
If you lost the chain and its now leaking oil I bet it cracked the case. take off the flywheel side case and check it out.

kb200x
10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
179- thanks man good meeting you also. As soon as i can get this fixed I'll get with you and we can do some riding.

NOS- i did pull the side cover but its fine. I did feel a place on the case that would be in front of the sprocket that i could feel with my finger that was broke and pushing inside the case. So i pulled off the case but the area I was looking at has no way of oil coming out? It looks to me that this was built this way on purpose. Extra channel were there is no oil? if its cracked its behind the sprocket. Im going to pull it tonight and find out for sure. if it is cracked there behind the sprocket how do i fix it? pull the engine get it welded? jb weld?

kb200x
10-20-2005, 02:24 PM
OK i went and pulled the sprocket and behind there looks fine. There is nothing not even a scratch on the case behind the sprocket. So it has to be coming from the side cover were it looks to me that no oil could come out. There is a cracked place straight in front of the sprocket on the side of the side cover half way between the middle and top bolts. But as i was saying it looks like this is a dry channel inside the case? Does anyone know if oil can leak out of this area? I am completly lost as to where the oil is coming from. I sat the trike up on its grab bar and cranked the kick starter a few times by hand but saw no oil????Help!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Racedude48
10-20-2005, 03:23 PM
The seal around the sprocket shaft is probablly leaking. Also check the O ring on ** stator cover because i had one leak the same way and it turned out to be that.