PDA

View Full Version : honda 83 atc 110 points or cdi

kernalklink
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
- any one know if the points setup will bolt onto the cdi style head assuming you have all of the hardware - including the different mounting plate?

- i need this because i have a crank with no threading to hold the flywheel in place and i keep rounding crank keys.

- i have a new crank but it would be alot less work for me to just change out the motor; i have everything except the points ignition for a points setup motor

- The cdi motor ran for a while but now i just cant get good spark, and i dont think a die would be very effective. i am assuming to get it done right i would have to remove the crank and at that point i might as well just put in a new crank (since i have one)

- My question really is; are the points as reliable as the cdi or should i stick with the cdi??

-Thanks for reading and answering.

Howdy
10-18-2005, 02:23 PM
To me I would fix the crank and run the CDI. As far as removing the crank to fix it goes, you should be able to fix it in the machine. I seen one machine where the threads were stipped real bad. To fix it the guy went and got a die that was just a little bit smaller ( Standard thread ). He cut new smaller threads, he installed a standard nut with a drip of Blue locktite and never had a problem after that.
Howdy