PDA

View Full Version : 250r tranny: do it yourself, send in, sell? i need advice

monster 84r
10-16-2005, 11:05 PM
my 250r hasnt shifted into 5th since ive owned it. also, neutral is a full click away form first, and second is a full click from neutral. this makes it suck to ride.

should i try and fix it? im not doing too well financially right now, how much would it be to get fixed or looked at? anyone around me want to help out for cash? i need advice.

edit: someone told me that i could tell what was wrong if i pulled the clutch cover, plates, and basket and looking at some things. can i do this without a torque wrench? all help appreciated guys. im fixing this or sending it in asap. all the other gears shift fine.

Dammit!
10-16-2005, 11:26 PM
It would most likely cost quite a bit to have a shop do it. Do you have a manual for it yet? If you have a manual, some tools and a digital camera, I'd suggest inspecting it yourself before dealing with a shop or purchasing another used bottom end. Take pics as you tear into it so you have a reference when putting it back together. You can post them here to see if anyone that knows that engine real well spots anything funky.

monster 84r
10-17-2005, 12:07 AM
i have everything i need except a torque wrench, and i wouldent feeel right not tightening down stuff to the recommended ft/lbs... i have a manual, i guess im going to have to borrow a torque wrench and start messing around. i wont let myself split the cases though, i dont trust myself to go that far yet.

does anyone have an idea of whats wrong? what do the symptoms point to? shift forks? detent problems? the previous owner messed with something so that 1st and neutral are a full click away. same with 2nd and neutral.

Dammit!
10-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Rebuilding an engine is like learning to swim. Best way to do it is to jump in (or be thrown into) the deep end. ;)

If you lived on my end of town I'd help you out. Not that I'm an expert myself but I've never been shy about taking something apart to see how it works. And they work when I put them back together again nearly every time. :lol:

You need to get that puppy in top shape though. Riding season is finally upon us. That's why I'm doing what I can with mine instead of waiting until I can afford to do it exactly the way I'd like.

monster 84r
10-17-2005, 12:22 AM
i know man, the reason im finnally addressing this problem is because i keep getting toasted by pos bikes, and now my friend with a 300ex is talkin sh** so i have to get her to shift.

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Sounds like either a fork problem, or shift drum problem to me. Air cooled 250R bottom ends are just as simple as liquid 250R bottom ends. CAKE. take your time, and if you need any help, i've done a few of them.

Dont worry about tourqing crap untill you get the bottom end back together and you can feel it shifting all the way through correctly. Its a pain tourqing everything exactly, then figuring out its gotta come apart again.

Billy Golightly
10-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Sounds like either a fork problem, or shift drum problem to me. Air cooled 250R bottom ends are just as simple as liquid 250R bottom ends. CAKE. take your time, and if you need any help, i've done a few of them.

Dont worry about tourqing crap untill you get the bottom end back together and you can feel it shifting all the way through correctly. Its a pain tourqing everything exactly, then figuring out its gotta come apart again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, trust me one this one. After you get it back together BEFORE you put all the crap on behind the right sidecase and the sidecase its self, **** it through all the gears, rotate the crank while its in those gears, make sure the sprocket shaft turns, ect. I hate splitting bottom ends with a passion. I'm about 2 out of 5 on getting them right the first time. :mad: