PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP left crank case cover removal~~~Flywheel????

kilabeez0
02-17-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm stripping my 110 I removed the recoil, and the sub transmission and all the cover screws. I have no idea how to remove the flywheel, my honda manual says I need a flywheel puller, which looks like something you screw into the center and then it pushes it out. Well I dont have one, and the cover is ready to come off. The whole thing comes off like half an inch but stops because it hits the flywheel. Does the flywheel HAVE to come off, and if so how can I get it off? Thank you!!!

jenndnn3
02-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Yes it has to come off to get inside.......and yes you need the special tool.......we are replacing ours right now and we used the right tool.

kilabeez0
02-17-2003, 09:18 PM
There is absolutely no other way to get it off? Is there a generic tool, or does it have to be a Honda flywheel puller. I have the tool number from the factory manual, but I dont want to wait over a week to order it.

J.D.
02-17-2003, 09:30 PM
If you have a local auto-zone you can rent the tool for free, with a deposit. You get it back when you bring the tool back. It's a puller, but it has "arms" that grab the other side of the flywheel and a center rod that pushes it off. I gotta go get one tommorow to pull the flywheel off my motor. -_- why can't they EVER make it easy? :evil:

YTZ250N
02-17-2003, 09:31 PM
I know my service shop carries the pullers for almost all bikes and they are only like 15 bucks at the most

kilabeez0
02-17-2003, 10:07 PM
How do I know what size to get? I even have the factory shop manual but it doesn't give a size, just part number.

jenndnn3
02-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Knowing what I know now, I would have paid somebody to pull it off.. We had the puller slightly off, off not centered and it warped...The $30 a shop would have charged would have been worth it too me.. WE pressed it back down but we are afraid to use it....Good luck with yours!!

hrc200x
02-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Look on the 110 for bolts that look the same size as the threads in the flywheel, I know on the 200x's you can remove the swing arm bolt and use that as a flywheel puller... works perfect everytime.

Or

If you have a rubber mallot and a few extra hands you can somtimes hold the engine up by the flywheel and tap the rest of the engine with the mallot and if your lucky that will take it off also.

kilabeez0
02-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Well since the engine can't be removed without taking the flywheel off, that would mean I would have to have a few people hold the entire frame sideways :shock: So is the flywheel puller something that works like removing brake calipers, in the sense that you screw something into it, and the farther in it goes it pushes off the back? But no, there are no other bolts that look to be the same :x

kilabeez0
02-17-2003, 11:21 PM
what kind of shop? A honda dealer or a machine shop? Anyone more input on the autozone idea?

jenndnn3
02-17-2003, 11:26 PM
Get out the local phone book and call around see what they charhge if they have the tool and so on......Or send your wife completly baffled looking on how to get the part off, she probably get it done for free if you chose the right spot.....Works for me ;)

hrc200x
02-17-2003, 11:33 PM
Any metric bolt would work, do you have any more 3 wheelers you could borrow one from? Was the front axle bolt on the 110 too small or don't they use a bolt for an axle?

short4stuff
06-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Its that same tool that you use to take off a steering wheel on a car.....

slippy4
06-15-2003, 10:05 PM
hrc200x has the right idea, find a metric bolt that fits into the middle, then just screw it in, the farther it goes in the more the flywheel comes off. if you dont have one, just go to a store and see if the have a metric bolt that fits....

Howdy
06-16-2003, 08:23 AM
hrc200x has the right idea, find a metric bolt that fits into the middle, then just screw it in, the farther it goes in the more the flywheel comes off. if you dont have one, just go to a store and see if the have a metric bolt that fits....

It won't work that way on the 110's though. Those need the special puller. Sorry!!

Howdy

FullBore
06-16-2003, 06:10 PM
just take the bike or engine to your honda dealer and ask them to remove the flywheel, simple, no hassle, no mess, I've just taken the flywheel off my 70 with a 2 legged puller with no probs, just put the legs though the holes.

Nat