PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Wheels on a 250SX (and size question)?

tkm
10-14-2005, 12:24 AM
2 questions, so bear with me.

I know Douglas and ITP make aluminum rear wheels for the 250SX, but does anyone make an Aluminum front wheel for the 250sx? ITP says they do not, but Douglas says their rear aluminum wheel will fit on the front. Any experience with this?

Also, what do you think is the best tire/wheel size combination for the 250sx? I was thinking of going with a 9x8 rear wheel with 22x10-9's (20x10-9 would be too short I'd imagine) and the stock size on the front, a 22x11-8 on a 8x8. I'm not sure if 9x9's will work for the rear. If so, I need them to stick outboard, but I'm not sure what offset would do this.

Probably going with Ohtsu, since they are oem brand and look.

The trike is already showroom fresh...just doing a few things I wish Honda had done to it :)

Oh, great forum. Been riding since I got my new ATC 70 back in 1981. I'm the original owner of the 85 250sx. Still alive to talk about it, too!

conig
10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
check my pics, the most important thing is to pay attention to back spacing. I don't know what the 250sx fron back spacing is but as long as you keep it the same or the same ratio and it will clear the brake you will be fine. 9 should clear easy.

I have tens in the back and a 12x7 up front. I went 7 inches wide up front 2x5 the stock big red 9 inch was 3x6. thats what I mean by ratio.

tkm
10-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks. I think the 250sx would look good with a 9" or 10" rim up front. I do not want to do a front fork swap because I want the bike to remain somewhat stock. I don't jump it anyways as it mainly will see fireroads and beanfields, and it makes a really pimpy pit bike at my SCCA races :)

bobr
10-14-2005, 09:54 PM
If you use Douglas like I did,be ready for some problems. The wheels are in Chapparal. The front doesn't fit evenly between the forks, and I don't want to dismount it to find out why. The left rear required me to fabricate a spacer to clear the brake drum. There is no way around this if you use the wheels they specify. Hope this helps. BTW expect about a 20lb. weight savings. Bob

tkm
10-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I was looking at the Douglas wheels at Chaparral. Douglas said they would fit fine, btu I really don't want to be making spacers and such.

Does anyone make a front 8" or 9" steel wheel for the 250sx, or could I get like a 10" aluminum wheel for the front (and hope there is a tire that fits decently).