PDA

View Full Version : Tecate ??

HondaRider
02-17-2003, 03:50 AM
Where do all you Tecate guys get your stators and fly wheels to keep the green machines running? Is aftermarket ones available that are reliable? Can you buy just the coil packs? Should I get rewound? I don't want to buy a used one that could go out an hour or two after I just bought it and put it in my machine... Any suggestions/opinions appreciated. Thanks

Derek

200x Basket
02-17-2003, 04:27 AM
www.rickystator.com

Jeb
02-17-2003, 03:35 PM
If i needed to hunt one up, I'd switch to 85-87 KX250 ignition. use it all, stator, flywheel, coil, and cdi. you can't run lights but you'll have a better ignition system. and that mod is also recommended in kawasaki race setup guide. I have no experience with the pvl's or other aftermarket ignitions.

I have had stator corp rebuild stators and flywheels. they do good work.

HondaRider
02-17-2003, 04:21 PM
So what actually usually causes the electrical problems and makes the stators go out? Is it the stators themselves that are faulty? Or is it because of poor wiring, or cdi units or the coil or what? If I plan to spend the money on another one I don't want the cdi or something burning the new one up? Is anything like this possible? Thanks for your help guys. I'm not real good in the electrical areas... Thanks,

Derek

djcheez
02-17-2003, 04:32 PM
i think it is the flywheel magnets that fall off. i would go with a kx complete ignition. youCAN run lights with those. you just have to buy a lighting coil for it. i have a list of the years of kx250's that lighting coils can be adapted to. just let me know and ill tell you the list. oh and i get a pvl coil if anyone is interested.

Jeb
02-17-2003, 10:28 PM
I was told the most common reason the stators go bad is because over time (and it's been atleast 16 years on most tecates) engine vibration loosens up the coils on the stator. Flywheel magnets loosen most of the time because of main bearings going bad, but doesn't effect a stator unless it physically destroys it. If one magnet comes loose, the engine dies instantly. I lost one off my 84 Tecate. It died instantly and the stator was unharmed. Of course I was probably lucky as you can have major malfunctions which destroy stators.

yes, you can add lighting coils to some KX stators, what I should have said was don't expect to use lights with a stock for stock swap between a KX and KXT. adding a lighting coil is not a big problem at all, but is an extra step.

djcheez, do you know how late a year model KX that you can switch ignitions with?

djcheez
02-17-2003, 10:38 PM
that i do not know. i just know you can add lighting coils to 89 or newer kx250's. ask sand junkie, he might know

HondaRider
02-18-2003, 12:19 AM
I never thought about the vibration. Thats a good point since the Tecate is an non counter-balanced engine, and doesn't run real smooth. I'll want to run lights, so should I just go with the new Ricky Stator flywheel and stator. Its $200 plus shipping for both pieces. I figured that was a pretty good price for a new stator and flywheel. I've only got $200 in the Tecate so far. Bought it from a friend and it had a broken shift shaft because he wouldn't listen to me and tighten his chain. About all it needs now is plastic to make it look pretty decent, and a few other things. Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it.

Derek

Tecate performance
02-19-2003, 01:46 AM
get the lighting coil rewound as well from ricky stator so it can power higher output lights. stock output is junk.

tecateman
03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
tecate perforance is right ricky stator is the trick i just saw you can get a 80w starto and a new flywheel for 200 bucks

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/Tecate3_Stator.html[/url]

Curtis-Tecate3
03-10-2003, 03:23 PM
The question is has anyone purchased, installed and run one yet???

Curtis

Tecate250
03-11-2003, 07:49 PM
I have a kx ignition and a tecate 1 that the magnetos are fine. So how much would it cost to fix the coils?
200 I find is a bit much. 2 times the price and you can get a new st I think.

JohnR.
03-11-2003, 10:24 PM
I had the stator rewound by a place up in Mass a few years back and it has been fine ever since except that the ground tab (behind the flywheel) cracked off, not a biggie though. I just put a new end on and away she went.

John

Jeb
03-12-2003, 09:55 AM
I had a KXT stator rewound by Stator Corp in Milford Mass. That was in 99. It's still running strong. Cost me 75 bux. I also had a flywheel repaired for 75. I would recommend them.