PDA

View Full Version : Always replace the left crankshaft bearing??? (350x)

hrc200x
02-17-2003, 12:46 AM
In the 350x shop manual it says to always replace the left crankshaft bearing when the crankshaft is removed from the left crankcase. Any idea why this would be? Also they say to remove the crankshaft from the left crankcase with a hydraulic press. Do I need to use a press or will a rubber mallot take it out? Or maybe a metal hammer with a piece of wood as a buffer? I'm not in the tear apart stage of my 350x but I'd like to get info before I get there within the next few months. Thanks.

KASEY
02-17-2003, 01:00 AM
man, you would think someone with that many 350x's would know the answer to that one!!!! i would beat it to a frazzle with a 4lb. hammer then cus at it some more then start pounding some more!!!!

(JESSE IF IT SAYS TO USE A PRESS IT PROBABLY BE A GOOD IDEA!)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ATCnut
02-17-2003, 03:06 AM
Ive never had to split the cases on a 350X, but if the book says so? If it takes a press to get the crank out of the bearing.

200x Basket
02-17-2003, 04:32 AM
on a 250r you can heat the case around the bearing with a propane torch, then just pull it apart. when you pull a case you put a lot of side load on a bearing which is very bad. i would bet that is the reason they replace them. i once replaced a case half and reused the old bearing, now i have to resplit it because i did not want to spend $40 on bearings :oops:

Dirtcrasher
02-17-2003, 10:33 AM
The left but not the right?? Must be that the left is a press fit and the right is a slip fit???? Either way always use a press, and always replace bearings that aren't fun to get to i.e. main, tranny etc. Your time is worth something!