PDA

View Full Version : tri moto 225 carb ?'s

trimoto55
10-09-2005, 12:07 AM
what does the needle and seat do on the carb? and if its bad would it make it idle high? also do i need that plastic ring on, the one jet bc mine pops off ez and goes to the bottom of the float bowl?

thanks.....

brendan802
10-09-2005, 12:11 AM
The needle and seat keep a steady level of gas inside the carb and if it was bad then gas would be flooding the motor and spilling out of the carb vent hose and drain hose too. Yeah you want that ring on the main jet just put it on with the carb upside down and then put the screws in the bottom of the float bowl to secure the bottom. High idle would probably be out of adjustment or the jets are gunked up and in need of cleaning.

trimoto55
10-09-2005, 12:14 AM
also i just cant figure out while it idles high and will only start on ether when its cold but when its warm it starts up easily...i checked for air leaks and i dont think it has any bc i ran it and sprayed carb cleaner on the head and carb

brendan802
10-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Have you tried using the choke when its cold out??? I had to choke my Big Red and both 200x's today to start them easier. Also check the fuel air mixture screw which I believe is supposed to be set at 2 turns out on the Mikuni carbs. Does your carb even have the choke cable??? My buddy has a ytm200 without the choke cable and it was a pain to start today since it was cooler out.

trimoto55
10-09-2005, 12:22 AM
yeah i try it with the choke and that dont do crap,this thing runs weird it runs soo good when its warm except it idles high but when its cold it wont fire up without ether

brendan802
10-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Oh yeah check the carb slide for nicks and dings that might hold it up from moving freely. Don't use sand paper if it has damage to it unless it is bad. I used steel wool on a few slides so they could move easier.

brendan802
10-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Also did you try full choke on a few pulls then half choke until it warms up. That sometimes helps give it just a little bit more air.

trimoto55
10-09-2005, 12:29 AM
yeah it wont start without choke on anything ponly way it will run is on ether but once it warms up it fires up normal but idles high?

freewheel3
10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
The "choke" on a 225 has nothing to do with the amount of air that goes into the engine.
There is no flapper that restricts the air flow into the engine.
It is a seperate fuel circuit that simply allows more fuel into the intake when you flip the "choke" lever.
Sounds like maybe yours is plugged up or incorrectly set. They are very sensitive. The easiest way to check is: get the engine running, let it warm up good & then flip the lever & see if the engine runs any different.
It should run rich enough that it will flood out on you in less than 10 seconds.

freewheel3
10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Have you tried to decrease the idle speed setting?

trimoto55
10-09-2005, 12:37 AM
yeah i tried to turn the screw out and it doesnt help it much

freewheel3
10-09-2005, 12:41 AM
yeah i tried to turn the screw out and it doesnt help it much
Make sure you have the correct amount of freeplay in your throttle cable.
Do you notice a change in idle speed when you crank the bars from one side to the other?

trimoto55
10-09-2005, 12:45 AM
no theres no difference,i wish i knew it it wont start when cold on gas

freewheel3
10-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Like I said, it sounds like the enrichment circuit is either plugged or not set correctly.
It sounds like the engine is running too lean. This is caused by either too much air (air leak) or not enough fuel.
First, give the carb a good cleaning if you are sure there are no air leaks. The most common places for air leaks are the intake boot between the carb & the engine, the cap that screws on to the top of carb, or the rubber boot around the throttle cable where it goes into the carb. (usually these boots are in tatters by now)
Something else to try, is to adjust the choke cable tension. You will find the adjuster under the fuel tank up by the top frame rail You have to remove the tank to get at it.
You will see a threaded metal piece in the choke cable with a small lock nut on it. Loosen the lock nut & screw the two threaded pieces closer together. This is a very sensitive adjustment, so turn it a couple turns & try starting the trike. If there is no improvement, repeat it a few times & see what happens. Keep track of how many turns you adjust it in total so that you can set it back where it was if it turns out that that this isn't the problem.

trimoto55
10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
well this morning i took the carb off and cleaned it good,i also played with adjusting the choke .so it did it again wont fire on gas when cold so i sprayed some ether and it fired right up then once it got warm it starts fine on gas also it still idles wayyyyy high so once it was started i sprayed carb cleaner on the head and near the carb boot and it didnt react to it