PDA

View Full Version : 84 Yamahauler YTM200EL eletric start

Spidy3006
10-07-2005, 11:00 PM
This might be a stupid question but my trike won't start by using the eletric start, and yes it turns over, and yes it will pull start, it just won't start when I try the eletric start. Anyone got any ideas why? Oh and the battery is just fine. :crazy:

thedeatons
10-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Does it make any noise when you thumb the button?

Click = bad starter

No click = stuck or bad starter solenoid, whack it with a rubber hammer a few times while thumbing the button

Odd grinding = starter gear is misaligned, or has teeth broken

No noise or click could also mean electrical problem, as in severed wire between starter button and starter... is there a fuse for the starter?

Hope this helps... James

Simpo
10-07-2005, 11:07 PM
My friends YTM200e has this very same problem, the only thing we could put it down to is possibly the starter is draining too much power, so its not getting a good enough spark. :wondering

Somekindofjerk
10-07-2005, 11:21 PM
My friends YTM200e has this very same problem, the only thing we could put it down to is possibly the starter is draining too much power, so its not getting a good enough spark. :wondering

The allternatore is the only thing conected with the battery the charging coil is ignition only, so weakened spark is a no-no. however like the owner states the engine does turn over when the starter is engaged therefore it works. try taking out the plug and check if it gets spark when cranking with starter for shits and giggles. while plug is out allso check for fuel in the cylinder(put thumb over plug hole, if it gets gas on it your good to go!)

thedeatons
10-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Good idea, BUT... he hasn't told us exactly what happens when he thumbs the button... it could be anything at this point....

Somekindofjerk
10-07-2005, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=Spidy3006]This might be a stupid question but my trike won't start by using the eletric start, and yes it turns over, the battery is just fine

thedeatons
10-08-2005, 12:01 AM
I guess I figured he meant it turns over period, not specifically when started electrically, but I can see how I may have misread it... sorry for that... I stand corrected. So on that note maybe it's not spinning the engine fast enough...
James

Howdy
10-08-2005, 01:05 AM
I had the same problem on a 225dx. We came to the conclusion the stator coil was weak, so we replaced the stator cold and it fixed it. This was a easy fix for me ( we had spare parts ).
Howdy

Spidy3006
10-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, thedeatons- it's turns over when you thumb it and I've done the spark plug check. I'm a maintenance man of over 20 yrs I just was getting stumped.

edog
10-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Weak battery+no choke could do that.Maybe you valve lash is off.

jeswinehart
10-08-2005, 09:12 AM
You need more coffee Edog :)

john

TimSr
10-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Im not a YTM200 guru, but in a lot of cases where a bike starts at high rpms like pickstarter, pullrope, or roll starting, but wont start with a slower turning electric start, the problem can be low compression. In a two stroke that can be bad news, but in a 4 stroke, its often nothing more than valve adjustent too tight, and not closing completely. We go thorugh this a coupel times a year on TimJrs Raptor 80. Its a 5 minute adjustment.

tri z saint-hub
09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
maybe your coil is defective , unplug your spark plug but make sure your spark plug is still connected too the coil wire. then either use the pull crank or the electric starter and look for sparks coming from the spark plug. by dooing this procedure you at least eliminate one possibility. good luck.

This might be a stupid question but my trike won't start by using the eletric start, and yes it turns over, and yes it will pull start, it just won't start when I try the eletric start. Anyone got any ideas why? Oh and the battery is just fine. :crazy:

code200k
09-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Does it make any noise when you thumb the button?

Click = bad starter

No click = stuck or bad starter solenoid, whack it with a rubber hammer a few times while thumbing the button

Odd grinding = starter gear is misaligned, or has teeth broken

No noise or click could also mean electrical problem, as in severed wire between starter button and starter... is there a fuse for the starter?

Hope this helps... James

i would start off with this..could just be a loose wire..

just relized this thread is from 2005..opps