PDA

View Full Version : gas tank clean repair?

bigred1
10-05-2005, 07:57 PM
what's best way to clean the inside of tank before treating? :wondering

Somekindofjerk
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
How cheap are you? that is the question!

Howdy
10-05-2005, 08:06 PM
what's best way to clean the inside of tank before treating? :wondering

You actually don't need to clean it that well if you treat it with Red-Kote. If your planning on using standard tank cream you might as well just throw your money away. Another option would be to buy my tank. ;) lmao

Do a forum search for gas tank posted by jeswinehart. I am sure a few others will vouch for his ability here.

Howdy

bigred1
10-05-2005, 08:10 PM
How much is red koat? where might I find it?

bigred1
10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
to the ? of how cheap am I well if money wasn't the object that it is I would just buy another one that is unless redkoat cost as much.

Somekindofjerk
10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
if i was you bigred i would see how much howdy wants for that tank he has, he allways gets good feedback on his products from the people he sells them to.

willcamach
10-05-2005, 08:18 PM
havent had any problems with the kreame i used in my tank and it was only 28.00 for a three part treatment. so you may want to "throw away" $30.00 on that kreame stuff if you know how to follow directions exactly it should work fine. if you cut corners then the results will probably suck

Howdy
10-05-2005, 08:18 PM
How much is red koat? where might I find it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/FUEL-TANK-RELINER-USE-WITH-GAS-OR-DIESEL-QT_W0QQitemZ7551154730QQcategoryZ71367QQtcZphotoQQ cmdZViewItem

I just bought 4 quarts from this seller. I highly recommend him. If you buy from him make sure you tell him "Howdyfrom3wheelerworld" recommended him. Another option would be to look at a local independant auto parts place. That is where John ( Jeswinehart ) gets his. I would have done this myself, but none of them around here even heard of the stuff.

Your other to options would be to see if John can get you a can, or have someone do it for you.

Howdy

bigred1
10-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I have done busines with him he's a good guy and a great help. I'm a family man just trying to save a penny where and if I can. like I said not sure how much koating is

Howdy
10-05-2005, 08:24 PM
if i was you bigred i would see how much howdy wants for that tank he has, he allways gets good feedback on his products from the people he sells them to.

Bigred1 has done buisness with me in the past. Very easy to work with. ;)
The tank I have is already clean on the inside ( wanting $45 + shipping ). Heck I can probably get a vid of the inside with my helmet cam. I can even sweeten the deal, I can line it before I ship it and then you won't have to worry about rust in the future. Same price on the tank either way ( lined or as it is ).
Howdy

bigred1
10-05-2005, 10:14 PM
thanks for the input guys!

69HemiGTX
10-06-2005, 01:55 AM
HAHA! :lol: According to the manufacturer's name, I make that stuff! If only I had known that I make it, I would have hooked y'all up, but someone beat me to it. Sometimes I am amazed at what I can accomplish without knowing it. :D

Huffa
10-06-2005, 05:48 AM
havent had any problems with the kreame i used in my tank and it was only 28.00 for a three part treatment. so you may want to "throw away" $30.00 on that kreame stuff if you know how to follow directions exactly it should work fine. if you cut corners then the results will probably suck

I have used the kreem too for a number of tanks and had no problems but if the Red Coat is easier I'll give that a shot. Even though it says just to get the heavy loose rust off I'd rather add a step and get as much out as possible.

I got a tank coming my way very soon that needs a Red Coat job bad so I'm anxious to try it.

I wouldn't put Kreem down to the level of being junk and as said if you follow the steps you should have no problem. I'll have to look inside my Nighthawk 700S tank that I did years ago, just to see how it's holding up, since I didn't peek in there for a long time.

Howdy
10-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I had a Nice 350x tank that I wanted to get repainted. The inside was like new, but I still wanted to kream it to protect it from future rusting ( The custom paint job I was going to get was going to cost mega $$ ). The painter even recommended that I coat the inside of the tank. So I took it to a radiator shop and had them dip it for me. I then followed this up with the whole kream kit, I followed the instructions to the letter. The painter told me to drop it off in 2 weeks ( he was busy right then ). When I took it to the painter the kream was already peeling. I was not a happy camper. I took it back home and could see it was peeling all over ( what you could see ). I hadn't even put gas in it yet. I spend a few days trying to get the rest of the kream out ( one little sliver at a time ). Anyway after about 3-4 days working on it I gave up, I won't say what happened to the tank ( I was highly pissed ), but I can safely say it was never able to be installed on a machine again.

Now I tried Red-Coat on a rusty and holy tank and was very much impressed. With just 1 quart of Red-Coat I was able to coat a total of 4 gas tanks ( 2- 90 / 110's and 2 - 200s style tanks, and I still have a slight amount in the can.
To prep the tank all I did was to put a couple dozen 5/16 nuts in it and shake the living heck out of it. I then removed the nuts and all the loose rust. I made sure it was dry and poured the red-coat in it. I rotated the tank as the directions said to do and then poured the remainder coat out. I found out I did have some holes in the tank when the red-coat dripped out. I quickly cleaned it off and taped over the hole. The tank sealed up on the first coating and it holds gas very well. Not to mention the fuel comes out looking like it did when it was put in ( CLEAN ). I am sold on the stuff now. You can use what ever you want, but I know what I am going to be using from now on. ;)
Howdy

freewheel3
10-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I have never used Red Kote or Kreem on tanks, so I was wondering, what do you do with the petcock drain?
How do you stop it from getting plugged up with these "treatments"?

Howdy
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I have never used Red Kote or Kreem on tanks, so I was wondering, what do you do with the petcock drain?
How do you stop it from getting plugged up with these "treatments"?

I wondered this same question before I did the coating. What I did was to put a piece of tape over the end of it. I did remove the filter screens on the 200s style. Once I got the tank rotated enough to coat the whole inside I simply removed the tape and drained the excess out of the tank via the drain hole ( putting it back into the can ). You do have to tilt the tank so it all runs towards the drain. Once it was done draining I simply wiped the end of the drain off and let it dry. The Red-Kote goes on so thin enough that the filter does fit back in the drain. It's snug, but it does fit. ;)
Howdy

firefirefire90
10-06-2005, 04:21 PM
I have used POR15 on my tank and it seems as eas yas all this Kream treatment. Prettymuch tape the holes, shake around then emtpy. Easy as 1, 2, 3. Only problem i had was i got the stuff in and around the top of the gas tank so i couldn't rotate the cap. That was my only problem.(Edit) This is just another option to Kream.

freewheel3
10-06-2005, 04:47 PM
I wondered this same question before I did the coating. What I did was to put a piece of tape over the end of it. I did remove the filter screens on the 200s style. Once I got the tank rotated enough to coat the whole inside I simply removed the tape and drained the excess out of the tank via the drain hole ( putting it back into the can ). You do have to tilt the tank so it all runs towards the drain. Once it was done draining I simply wiped the end of the drain off and let it dry. The Red-Kote goes on so thin enough that the filter does fit back in the drain. It's snug, but it does fit. ;)
Howdy
Thanks for the info Howdy.

bigred1
10-07-2005, 08:16 PM
can J-B weld be used to patch small holes like the size of the tip of an ink pen on a gas tank?

Howdy
10-07-2005, 08:46 PM
can J-B weld be used to patch small holes like the size of the tip of an ink pen on a gas tank?

Yes, it can be. But I have never had any luck with it lasting more than 4-5 months.
Howdy

Somekindofjerk
10-07-2005, 08:51 PM
iv found that a small(90amp)mig works good or brazing. the only backfire to brazing is all the heat makes your paint peel off, but mig works very well!

Howdy
10-07-2005, 08:56 PM
iv found that a small(90amp)mig works good or brazing. the only backfire to brazing is all the heat makes your paint peel off, but mig works very well!

Be 100% sure you have all the tank washed out and all the fumes removed before doing this. I know a guy that made a round tank because he didn't wash his out. Can you say: KABOMMMM! I sold him another tank. ;)
Howdy

Somekindofjerk
10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Be 100% sure you have all the tank washed out and all the fumes removed before doing this. I know a guy that made a round tank because he didn't wash his out. Can you say: KABOMMMM! I sold him another tank. ;)
Howdy

:eek: :lol: That just makes my day, poor guy! :lol: :eek:

i58829
05-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Is the red-coat stuff that comes in a silver and red can i think its about 35.00 for a quart? My local Honda shop tried to sell me some but i wasn't sure if it would work well or not, i'd like to line my X's tank as it has some slight suface rust from all of the moisture down here...