PDA

View Full Version : 86 tecate 3 forks leaking

nd4speed
10-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Do any of you guys rebuild your own forks? How much does it cost to have them rebuilt (usually)?

ATCWRENCH
10-05-2005, 03:27 PM
these guys can rebuild your forks for about 85 bucks and that isnt bad. LIECHTI RACING SUSPENSION SYSTEMS (go to yahoo and put this in)

rebuilding standard style forks is really not that hard. if everything goes right and you take your time you could have them rebuilt in about 2 hours.

if ya need some help PM me and I will explain how to do it.

nd4speed
10-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Sounds like I should have it done locally. I probably wont be doing this job myself as $85 seems reasonable.

Why are they leaking at the bottom if this is common? I have not looked but I know there is a drain bolt there.

ATCWRENCH
10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
if its leaking at the bottom there are 2 things you need to look at.

1: at the verybottom of the forks there is a bolt that holds the suspension valving rod in place on the inside of the fork, if it is leaking from there tighten it up to about 13 to 15lb-ft of torque, not a whole lot or you strip it out.

2: at the bottom of the forks the side away from the axle you will see a bolt, again if it is leaking from there then you need to tighten it up to about 10lb-ft torque.