PDA

View Full Version : Custom weight fork springs

Billy Golightly
10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
85SX forks came in today :D :D I'm definetly gonna need to stiffen them up some, so I'm lookin for someone who can maybe make me some custom weighted/size for these. Race tech says to call them for application on the 85SX, haven't got to do that yet but I'll probably try them within the next day or two. The forks themselves look beautiful are are within a half inch of being the same length of the Tri-Z ones, so the height will stay correct. I'll have some pictures of them in a sperate thread when my mom gets home.

Anyways, back to the springs, I need someone I can call and talk to about this custom application. So far I have Race Tech ( www.racetech.com ) on my list, and Too Tech Racing ( www.tootechracing.com ). Anyone else I need to try and get a hold of?

Red Rider
10-07-2005, 02:58 AM
So where did you score the 85SX forks from? I hope you didn't have to buy them brand new from a KTM dealer as they are a bit pricey.

Huffa
10-07-2005, 05:25 AM
The two you picked are good choices . I have another thought...........even though your compression and rebound damping have a broad range now, I just wonder if the spectrum of that range is right for the Tri-Z? In other words the 80 is much lighter but then it jumps much higher and farther so it may all even out and if not they might recommend new valving.

I'll give these a mention just in case they would work. They are hardly used springs from a Honda 98 CR 250 that I once had. On the label it says .44KG referring to the stiffness, well that was the ones that I had installed in my 98 and these are the stock ones that came in the CR. I do believe they are 42's if I remember correct.

They are 19&1/4 long and 1&5/8 outside diameter. More then likely they won't fit but if they would, you'd save a few bucks.

They were in these forks ........... Suspension Front 47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 18-position
rebound and 20-position compression
damping adjustability.

If at all interested I'll let them go for $25. Springs like this retail for approx $80 or so.

Billy Golightly
10-07-2005, 10:44 AM
So where did you score the 85SX forks from? I hope you didn't have to buy them brand new from a KTM dealer as they are a bit pricey.

I googled for some KTM specific forums and found www.ktmtalk.com. I then posted a wanted ad in their classifieds and eventually found a guy who was parting out an 04 with a bad frame. I did find another guy before that but he wanted $600 for them :eek: I ended up getting these forks, the caliper, and the front axle for $430+ shipping which isn't cheap by anymeans but its alot better then $700 a piece new from KTM.

Huffa, those springs are probably to big in diameter (I could trim the length). But I dont know for sure. Thats definetly a good price, I'll see if I can find out what size diameter the KTM springs are and then go from there. Thanks for the offer on them.

350x'inNY
10-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Billy... Does Progessive Suspension have any Progressive Springs that would work? I have them in all my Honda ATC's and love them!

Bruce

thefox
10-07-2005, 06:42 PM
www.pro-action.com is another one you could try. I have never dealt with them but one of there branches is only a few blocks from my school. Ther website shows a branch in Florida, maybe it's near you?

Billy Golightly
10-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey Bruce,

Yeah progressive was my first thought too! I have them in my Z and They were a huge improvement over stock. I've looked but haven't found anything offered from them yet. Unfourtanetly they dont have an application list or catalog I can browse through (That I know of anyways). I punched in the KTM85SX into Dennis Kirk hoping I could get a hit on there or something for some progressive springs since thats where I got the ones for my Z from, but no luck.

Right now I'm going though an eibach motorcycle springs catalog, but its from 03 and the 85SX's first year was 04 I think. Either way, theres no listing for it. I'm gonna maybe order the eibach catalog and see what I can find in it. Maybe between them and Race tech I can come up with something good.

Edit: Thanks thefox, I'll check them out right now too.

350x'inNY
10-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Hmmmmmm... Try going to www.progressivesuspension.com They might have a chart as to length and diameter. I know many items are cross linked. (Seems like a set I had also worked in Tri-Z and some GS600 motorcycle or something)

Also, Bike-Bandit sells there stuff and has drop down menu's to selct the application and the year.

350x'inNY
10-07-2005, 07:27 PM
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/springs.html There's a "FInd Application" page, but it's not loading for me.... I'm sure if you called them, they'd be able to find an alternative or do a special "winding" for you.

x.system
10-07-2005, 08:06 PM
85SX forks came in today :D :D I'm definetly gonna need to stiffen them up some, so I'm lookin for someone who can maybe make me some custom weighted/size for these. Race tech says to call them for application on the 85SX, haven't got to do that yet but I'll probably try them within the next day or two. The forks themselves look beautiful are are within a half inch of being the same length of the Tri-Z ones, so the height will stay correct. I'll have some pictures of them in a sperate thread when my mom gets home.

Anyways, back to the springs, I need someone I can call and talk to about this custom application. So far I have Race Tech ( www.racetech.com ) on my list, and Too Tech Racing ( www.tootechracing.com ). Anyone else I need to try and get a hold of?

Did you try Dionne Racing in Cape Coral 941 574 9749 they are a race tech service center. A friend of mine specializes in race tech and does suspension for a pro rider if you need something custom.

Billy Golightly
10-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Nope not yet, I'll make a note of them and drop them a line Monday though and see what we can come up with. Hopefully my tripples will be done in 2-3 weeks and. I want to be riding this thing with the front setup done and tested pretty good for the Rumble in dixie down here in November.