PDA

View Full Version : 185-200s gas tank question reguarding fuel flow.

Huffa
10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
I just got done going over a 185S that I sold (I think) and had the tank empty because I cleaned the inline filter on it. I put in a 1/2 gallon of gas and looked down inside with flashlight and could definitly see some gas at the inline filter yet the fuel flow out of petcock didn't seem all that great (had it on reserve) and I tried to start it, with no luck.

So I dumped another 1/2 gallon in and it flowed great and started right up!

My question is, do all 185's & 200S's have a none usable 1/2 gallon of gas or is there something screwy with the petcock? I think the 185 and 200's share very close to the same style tank and that's why I'm including all 200's.

I never had any machine like that and a few times when I ran out of gas thru the years I could get a few more miles by tilting the bike or trike to the side so this really seems odd that it won't flow right with a 1/2 gallon in?

One "clue" (just thought of this) possibly is that the tank was patched right near the petcock location because of rust I imagine so maybe there is rust build up just a bit right inside the tank at petcock hole and won't leave the gas enter till more is in? The tank is not rusted bad at all inside but I can see rust down by hole for sure. The 185 tank is much harder to look down though because of a smaller fuel cap hole. I could just make out the inline filter but not make out if there was a high build up of rust.

Anyone else run into this?

MTS
10-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Sounds like you just have a chunk of crap in your reserve. iv had it happen on my dirtbikes.

Howdy
10-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Sounds like you just have a chunk of crap in your reserve. iv had it happen on my dirtbikes.

I agree! I would try blowing a little air ( about 5-10 PSI ) backwards through the fuel valve in both positions ( On and res ). Then let the fuel drain into a small container to see what if anything comes out. ;)
Howdy

Huffa
10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I agree! I would try blowing a little air ( about 5-10 PSI ) backwards through the fuel valve in both positions ( On and res ). Then let the fuel drain into a small container to see what if anything comes out. ;)
Howdy

Shouldn't I have it out of the tank to blow it out since if I do it backwards with air it will just lodge in the inline filter and possibly just get stuck again in the petcock?

That's most likely what the problem is but how it gets passed the extra fine filter in tank I can't figure out?

Hmmmm, I have another identical petcock so I can compare the flow rate, I'll do that too.

Thanks guys !!!!!!!

Howdy
10-04-2005, 09:01 AM
I forgot to mention to remove the petcock before blowing air through it. My mistake!!! Blowing it while on the tank would blow the crap back into it. This wouldn't be to good.
Howdy

wheelie king
10-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Huf-

Had the same problem with my 200s on "reserve". I did as Howdy said and removed the petcock, then ran Mercury Power Tune (commercial grade marine carb cleaner) throught it forward and backward, and then blew it out with compressed air. Now it flows free and consistent in both positions.