PDA

View Full Version : MX Port Job?

BigGreenMachine
10-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Was wondering what part of the powerband this focuses on? :confused: I want port work that will focus on the low to mid portion of the powerband.

( :lol: I can't stop thinking about all the kids that say their bike has a powerband in every gear...lol :crazy: )

James

deathman53
10-02-2005, 09:46 PM
thats a mx port, bottom to mid, all of my atv's have a mx port and my dirtbike has a mid-top port job(used for dual sport fireroad riding)

BigGreenMachine
10-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Thank you. How much topend did you lose from having the cylinder MX ported?

James

MTS
10-02-2005, 11:11 PM
( :lol: I can't stop thinking about all the kids that say their bike has a powerband in every gear...lol :crazy: )

James
yea i just went and look'd at a Z the guy said that..bout busted out laughin...

1984kxtTECATE
10-03-2005, 01:36 AM
I can give you first hand info. The MX port Job itself is a nice mod if you enjoy wheelies, better handling due to power delivery, wheelies great any time. The port job itself focus's on mid range power, where a lot of riders ride at, but overal it is meant to give you a very broad power band. Power slides are a whole lot easier, I no longer need to tap the clutch to give it a little extra boost to bring the rear out. Ill try to hunt down my old pic, it showed me makin a 90 degree corner full out power slide and the front end was up at the time also. Im not sure if i have it anymore. In the woods, its alright I found my self workin the clutch to ride at a decent speed over the really rutted ruff stuff, but on the smoother trails it really kicked ass. It really does good in the sand on the steeper hills, put it in seconds gice her some throttle and pop the clutch and your rocketing. Compared to my Tri-Z (just for a comparison) it is more of a peaky power band (I havnt rode it with the wrench report jug on it yet) I noticed it liked to be on the pipe ( It has the phase 5 pipe) and really dosnt do well in trails compared to the Tecate. I have to work the clutch a lot more on it to get up and go.

BigGreenMachine
10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks man, nice to hear some first hand experience. I know I made the 90 degree turn in my driveway sliding with the front tire off the ground before. Fun was the word.

90nut
10-03-2005, 08:28 PM
84kxt, Who did you porting and how much was it? I will be getting some type of porting done to my 84 and this sound just what I need. Thanks

1984kxtTECATE
10-03-2005, 09:47 PM
84kxt, Who did you porting and how much was it? I will be getting some type of porting done to my 84 and this sound just what I need. Thanks
I would have to ask the guy i bought it from about the cost but it was done by Steve (forgot his last name) at MPracing out here in Oregon, unfortuantly he screwed a couple people over and is no longer in business except for the occasional side job. On another note, I would look at sprock racing or madman engeneering for an alternitave, Ive read up on both the sites and the seem pretty keen on doin 2 strokes. I could give you a couple more places if you would like, granite, most of them are slow with doing work because of the sheer volume of bikes they get.

BigGreenMachine
10-03-2005, 10:00 PM
From Cory Sprock;

"We no longer do engine building, I would try CWR at 717 637 1907. His name is Greg and he also does alot of work on the tecates if you are going to send in your engine. We are mainly building kits for dealers and the general retail customer."

I haven't called yet but I'll be puttin a call to them first. Hopefully they'll do it right.

1984kxtTECATE
10-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Good deal, Ive been talkin to Cory some what thrue e-mail. Hopefully there forums are up and going soon. Defiantly keep in touch about this guy, Its always good to have some one who knows the tecate work on the Tecate.