PDA

View Full Version : Just bought another ATC...1986 250R this time :)

fyi
10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I just brought it home from up North. A pretty clean running and appearing 1986 Honda 250R, completely stock. (other than the FMF pipe) The thing still has all the decals and runs VERY strong! I'll post some photos tomorrow when I get back to the office...I'm tired from driving and just want to set down/relax... ;)

Overall I'm very happy with the buy and now the garage is starting to get full, as I now have four ATV's~ 1999 Honda Foreman 450s 4x4, 1985 Honda 350x, 1986 Honda 350x and a 1986 Honda 250R. I think that's about all the spending my wife is going to let me get away with this year.... :confused:

I can't wait to really tear into this stuff this winter! :beer

BTW- I'll be selling that FMF pipe and muffler soon if anyone is interested... It's in flawless condition and I'm going DG later on when it comes off. :)

90nut
10-01-2005, 07:28 PM
congrats on the 250r. But what is your reason for getting rid of the FMF and replacing it with a DG? FMF is way better than a DG.

MTS
10-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Why going to DG? from what i hear the FMF is a FAR better mid-top end pipe than the DG..which is basicly stock...just my .02 cents :) cant wait to see pics!!!

fyi
10-01-2005, 07:30 PM
FMF is way better than a DG.
How so?

Any real empherical back-to-back testing data so I can compare?

Is there any published pipe testing from a previous mag or something like that I can check out?

Thanks! :)

90nut
10-01-2005, 08:04 PM
FMF's are constructed better than DG's first of all. Second DG's are just about like a stock pipe but louder. Everything I have had from DG has broken, grab bars, friend had a DG pipe and the tabs would always break off and I didn't really see any performance differance between the stock pipe and the DG. I would keep the FMF. Just my thoughts

MTS
10-01-2005, 08:14 PM
FMF's are constructed better than DG's first of all. Second DG's are just about like a stock pipe but louder. Everything I have had from DG has broken, grab bars, friend had a DG pipe and the tabs would always break off and I didn't really see any performance differance between the stock pipe and the DG. I would keep the FMF. Just my thoughts
Basicly what i have herd, DAMMIT! on the fourms here has a FMF on his bike, i would ask him,,and most other DG prouducts are junk as far as quality, Fitting for one thing, i have one for my tri-z and the flange on it wasnnt even remotely close to the right size to fit on the cylinder...my .02 cents

fyi
10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Hmmmm, did not know this... Maybe I'll reconsider. Are there any other types of aftermarket HP 2-stroke pipes out there that are worth mentioning other than DG or FMF?

Looks like I'm going to have to do some digging. Thanks for the input folks! :beer

MTS
10-01-2005, 08:20 PM
The paul turner (PT) high rev pipe is supposed to be the king **** among 250r pipes from what i hear, also the ESR ATC 5 pipe is good also.

Kintore
10-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Heres a site for ESR-
Link to ESR pipe for atc250r (http://www.esr250.com/250r_pipes.htm#trx5)

Paul Turner, I do not know the site. I have also heard that the Paul Turner and ESR are the best pipes out there.

wanta86r
10-01-2005, 08:29 PM
ive had the paul turner high rev and switched to the esr pipe. The esr is definitely superior

fyi
10-01-2005, 08:32 PM
ive had the paul turner high rev and switched to the esr pipe. The esr is definitely superior
What was superior about it?

fyi
10-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Here's some dyno data on a number of pipes I found interesting, even though they were 4-wheelers. The engine was still the 250R. http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_run.htm

Hope this help others as it did me and it looks like I'll be keeping my FMF pipe afterall. Thanks guys for the heads up! :)

Speedster700HP
10-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Here's some dyno data on a number of pipes I found interesting, even though they were 4-wheelers. The engine was still the 250R. http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_run.htm

Hope this help others as it did me and it looks like I'll be keeping my FMF pipe afterall. Thanks guys for the heads up! :)

Thx for the site, but there is something terribly wrong with the rpms along the bottom axis of those dynographs. It shows the HP PEAKING at around 3000 rpm and then plummeting to ~10 HP by 5400 rpm, then they let off? That should probably be more like 9000-10000 rpm. Something is very wrong with those graphs. :wondering

fyi
10-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Read the tech story in its entirety. They explain this.

OldSchoolin86
10-02-2005, 09:09 AM
I never would have guessed that they make almost double the torque then HP. That whole article seems goofy.

fyi, please tell me you are going to dyno your current setup for us!!!!

EDIT: They didn't even jet for those pipes, I wouldn't put any stock into that article.

Dammit!
10-02-2005, 01:14 PM
FMF's are decent pipes. The Paul Turner is a high rev pipe. Makes great power on the top end but not really the best pipe for trails. What's best really comes down to what you're going to use the trike for. I definitely wouldn't trade a FMF for a DG though.

I will say however, a DG grab bar saved me from certain severe injuries several months ago. ;)

fyi
10-02-2005, 01:52 PM
You read my mind oldschool! I do plan on dyno'ing the '86 250R I just bought and the '86 350x I bought recently. I don't know how accurate the results will be, but it will still be fun to see where they come in at compared to those other tests online. Based on what some of you have said, the dyno numbers from my dyno are at least "close" anyway... We'll see tomorrow I guess! :)