PDA

View Full Version : Help - MOVED

3wheelluver
09-30-2005, 10:05 PM
ok i got a honda 1983 200m that seems to b giving me some trouble. evry now and then the damn thing will sputter and fart and pop and stall. then wont start for around 20 min. ive cleaned the plug, put in a new one, cleaned the air filter and i dont know wut to do next. but the thing run perrrfectly in the winter time. just not in the spring summer or fall. should i chance the oil type. by a new carb? plz help me out it would me might appreiciated.

cragster
09-30-2005, 11:35 PM
does it get hot then quit for while till its cool againa nd then run again?

could be the coil. ive had 3 200s's and 2 have had bad coils

bigredhead
09-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Check the obvious... good fuel flow from the tank to the carb.. remove the line and make sure the petcock is not all clogged up, . make sure you have fresh gas.. inspect the tank with a flash light.. if the inside is all rusty. your carb is probably plugged up.

Make sure the choke goes ON and OFF properly and not stuck ON.

Cleaning a new plug sometimes does not do it.. replace with a known good one. and make sure it's properly GAPPED !!!!....

Once it quits like this.. remove the plug.. put it on the wire and ground the tip to the cylinder.. pull the cord and check for spark.

trikes4life
10-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Mine does that i belive its over heating issue. change the oil. I Know run 10w-40

3wheelluver
10-01-2005, 09:59 AM
thnx guys ill try that stuff.

Tri-ZNate
10-01-2005, 10:03 AM
clean the carb. My 350x carb was spitting and sputtering and a dirty carb was the answer.

3wheelluver
10-01-2005, 02:35 PM
ok how do i clean the carb. or get it out?

wheelie king
10-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Take the fuel tank off, and unbolt it. Then, take it apart and clean it out. Clean the jets really well. Sounds like first things first, though.... buy a MANUAL!!!!

3wheelluver
10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
ok buy me one please or tell me where to get one. lol

Tri-ZNate
10-01-2005, 04:15 PM
just unbolt it and pull it out from the frame. at the bottom of the carb there should be 4 screws. Take them out and lift the piece off. It will reveal some internal parts. ok here is a link http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Honda/H00850078.gif

ok unscrew number 15 and blow out the hole with air or car cleaner then blow out the jet. do the same with 23. Those are both jets and you should be able to see a little light through the jet when it is cleaned.

second step. number 4 is a float and a little dowel pin type deal. The dowel pin simply push out with a very small object (paper clip works good) then you will be able to pull the float (number 4) up and reveal your needle jet (number 2). Blow out that hole and put the needle jet back in, put the dowel pin back in, and make sure everything is reassembled. bolt the bolltom back on and give it a go on your trike. If any probs let us know.

I may pull off my big red carb and walk you through it with pics since mine needs to be cleaned anyway.

bigredhead
10-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Before you get into this blind... a few very important things to know about carbs.

That float needs to be at an acurate level for things to work well.. if you have never taken one of these suckers apart.. i suggest calling a friend who knows about this stuff to show you the ropes.

Don't mess with the float level, or we will soon have a thread " What do i do with this 2 bubble thing.. ??? ".. :lol:

Tri-ZNate
10-01-2005, 05:33 PM
ok so far I only have the carb off but after experimenting, the easiest way to take it off is to unscrew the throttle from the top of the carb, pull the choke off from the side, and then remove the two 8MM bolts holding the the carb and manifold to the cyclinder of the engine. Then just push back aim down and pull it off.

Tri-ZNate
10-01-2005, 06:26 PM
ok all done. I'll put the pics on in the steps I described. My problem was my slow jet was plugged so it couldnt idle (The smaller jet).

Also I want to add that in the second last pic you see a screw on the very end removed. That is you air/fuel screw. I removed that to make sure it was clean in there. there is also a spring that is in there along with the screw so put you hand on top of the hole and tip it over. Then just put it on the a/f screw so you remeber where it goes. I also filled the white container up with gas so it went over the openings of the jets to make sure everything is cleaned (also the parts are in that too to loosen up anything in there. It will sit in the gas till the morning at which point I'll reassemble everything). :beer This was alot easier than my SX.