PDA

View Full Version : Need a die for 200x crankshaft threads

Frankencelery
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
...at least I think it's the crankshaft. This '86 200x I'm trying to resurrect has really taken some abuse. I'm slowly getting together parts to reassemble the engine, just so I can find out if it will start. Somebody worked on it who shouldn't have been given tools. Among other things, the oil rotor was damaged, and I have a replacement, but the threads are damaged on the shaft. My guess is the aformentioned DIY'er apparently thrashed on the left-handed threads until they were stripped. I have the replacement nut on order from Honda but the shaft threads are damaged too. The Honda guy and I looked through the manual but couldn't determine what size the threads were. I need a die to clean up those threads, and I have no idea how to determine what size and pitch they are. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

TeamGeek6
09-29-2005, 09:47 PM
The parts fiche might have the thread specs for the nut. If not, take the nut to the hardware and try to match it up, then order a rethreading die from that. Or, if youre careful with calipers, get the dimensions right from the nut and look them up in a thread chart. They'll be in metric.

McMaster-Carr is a good place to order tooling: www.mcmaster.com
or there is (or was) an industrial supply house in NE Des Moines just down off 80 that Ive bought bearings from that was good to deal with

jeswinehart
09-29-2005, 10:24 PM
don't know the pitch ,,,
This is the goofy left hand thread nut that holds the clutch in place correct ???

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~mp_id~~mscssid~9297LNF4MXCP9J48 P3DMSU6MB3NJCJV5~schem_dept_id~176933~section_dept _id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept _type_id~2~model_dept_year~1986~model_dept_mfr~Hon da~model_dept_id~174412~model_dept_name~ATC200X.as p

john

sblt500r
09-29-2005, 11:04 PM
not just any hardware store will have left hand thread metric bolts, at least not around here. your gonna have to go to a place like MSC, or Wholesale Tool to get a die

Frankencelery
09-30-2005, 07:32 AM
No, I think the clutch nut was normal, this is the one on the on the oil rotor.

At the dealer, first we looked in the parts lookup, and there was nothing there, and he sent me to service, and we looked through the service manual. They have torque specs, how to punch the little divet to make the nut captive, etc., but no specs on the nut or shaft size.

It would have to be a helluva hardware store to have a 20mm (guessing) left hand thread bolt sitting around.

Howdy
09-30-2005, 07:50 AM
No, I think the clutch nut was normal, this is the one on the on the oil rotor.

At the dealer, first we looked in the parts lookup, and there was nothing there, and he sent me to service, and we looked through the service manual. They have torque specs, how to punch the little divet to make the nut captive, etc., but no specs on the nut or shaft size.

It would have to be a helluva hardware store to have a 20mm (guessing) left hand thread bolt sitting around.

If you have a NAPA close by check with them. They have been able to get me tools when no one else could. Being as it's left hand thread finding a die might be hard.
Howdy

TeamGeek6
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
If the threads are badly buggered up, it may take a lathe to fix it, might be hard to start a die on straight.

Frankencelery
09-30-2005, 01:08 PM
The part came in, and conveniently, on the packing slip it said, Nut, 16MM. Then I went to service and they had a thread gauge and we determined that it's 1.0MM. So now all I have to do is find a 16MM/1.0 Left hand die.....easy, right? Seriously, I haven't even started looking yet, so I have no idea how hard it might be.

sblt500r
09-30-2005, 08:23 PM
you'll have to try tool stores like MSC.

Dads
09-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Try this company. They have every thing. I get my reverse thread tapes ans dies from them.
Grainger
In IOWA
CESAR RAPIDS
1149 27th ave. SW
ph. 319-366-7174

DAVENPORT
961 E. 53rd St.
ph. 319-391-6015

DES MOINES
1811 E. Sheridan ave.
ph. 515-266-3460

SIOUX CITY