PDA

View Full Version : big red won't start

the 80s rule
09-29-2005, 08:38 PM
A friend was riding my red when next thing I know he is pushing it back, he had shut it off and it won't refire. I checked the power (head light works) , then pulled the plug, and kicked it over (no spark) looked for fuses found a 20 amp strip fuse it's good. I also tried the starter with a charger and it turns over but still no spark. Dose anybody have a clue whats wrong with my red ? :(

jeswinehart
09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
What year bigred ,,, ? If it's a 85 or newer ,,, do you have green nuetral light when trying to start ?

john

Tri-ZNate
09-29-2005, 09:47 PM
20 amp? arent they supposed to be 10?

the 80s rule
09-29-2005, 11:45 PM
The red is a 1985 it has the light but the blub has been on the list of things to get from the dealer for a while. I tryed goin in and out of 1 and r by rocking back and forth to make sure it was out of gear and it seams to be working properly.
As for the fuse it is a strip of aluminium looking material that has 20 on it. I have no idea if it is too big just that it is not blown.
Jim

Phil@Sweden
09-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Did you try a new spark plug? Sometimes itīs simple :lol:

jeswinehart
09-30-2005, 06:05 AM
The red is a 1985 it has the light but the blub has been on the list of things to get from the dealer for a while. I tryed goin in and out of 1 and r by rocking back and forth to make sure it was out of gear and it seams to be working properly.
As for the fuse it is a strip of aluminium looking material that has 20 on it. I have no idea if it is too big just that it is not blown.
Jim

That fuse is for the starter ,,, kinda weird looking but it's okay if it is cranking over.
I was asking about the green netrual light cuz if the wire down on the lower right hand side of the motor has come off or damaged it will crank over but you won't have spark. Also beside that wire is another one that is for the reverse light indicator. They plug into the side of the motor below the rear foot brake lever and are protected by a little metal cover.

john

bigredhead
09-30-2005, 11:18 AM
When you check for spark.. you ARE touching the tip of the plug to the cylinder right ? ( just have to make sure !! lol )

the 80s rule
09-30-2005, 05:55 PM
I got the bulb replaced it dosn't light up. The only way the starter works is if I use a 50 amp charger right to the starter. I did that to see if the starter worked it did but I still have no spark. :wondering I am grounding the plug because I have made that mistake before. I'm still perplexed.

jeswinehart
09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Have you checked those wires I spoke of in my above posting ???

You need to get a green nutral for sure before you will have spark.

john

broook
09-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Nine chances out of ten the two wires he is talking about will solve your problem. They have a bad habit of vibrating off and killing the engine. Just undo the small black plate, or even just bend it down out of the way and push the two wires back into the sockets and try again. The plate is by the rear brake pedal held on with a 8mm headed bolt.

the 80s rule
09-30-2005, 07:41 PM
The red is at my shop I'll have to try tomorrow. Thanks for the help[ hope thats all it is.
Jim

85hondaatc125m
09-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Maybe if you get some one to push it while * kick it into first and give it some throttle and get it going then * might be able to check all the stuff if * can get it running. Just my 2 cents thought

the 80s rule
10-01-2005, 05:07 PM
The green wire was the problem. I cleaned it best I could with sandpaper and put some dielectric grease on it and the netrual light came on. Now all is well and I am a happy rider again. Thank you to all who took the time to help me.
Jim

jeswinehart
10-01-2005, 06:52 PM
If memory serves me correct ,,, the other wire (reverse) can be off and dangling and you will still have spark ( but of course no reverse light ).

john