PDA

View Full Version : Extended swinger on MX bike?

Derrick Adams
09-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Thinking of extending my swinger 1 or 2" on my MX bike. Wonder how that would work out for MX? I know it will hurt me in the corners. However, with an extended swinger, I could add some more power for better holeshots and straightline acceleration.
The way it stands right now, I'm really hesitant to add more power, because I already have problems keeping the front wheel down in the straights. NOT because the bike is uncontrollable or anything. Because i'm tall and when I set down I naturally sit clear on the back of the seat, so it's wide open and on a wheelie down every straight.
Another option I was thinking of was lowering my foot pegs an inch or 2. This would effectively lower my center of gravity on the bike while standing up, and stretch me out a little so I would tend to sit more in an optimum place on the seat. Downfall to this is that it will put the pegs lower than the frame.
Seems like everything I want to do to this bike takes away from cornering abilities. I raised the bike to fit me better, (should have made it corner worse, but didn't really notice a change) now i'm thinking of an extended swinger. (Should definately effect cornering) Lastly, still haven't upgraded to the 500 forks yet. Which are longer and will add more rake.(Bad for cornering as well).

Derrick Adams
09-29-2005, 08:02 PM
no comments?

3leggeddog
09-29-2005, 08:06 PM
your a pud,hows that,lol

3leggeddog
09-29-2005, 08:07 PM
i just pm'd old schooiln to find out about extending the trx swinger on my bike.hopefully he can do it reasonable!!!!!i don't think it can hurt my bike.

also if you extend the swinger,to wheelie less,then you add more power to bike it will spin more,making it slide in the corners better,and wheelie less

OldSchoolin86
09-29-2005, 08:43 PM
i just pm'd old schooiln to find out about extending the trx swinger on my bike.hopefully he can do it reasonable!!!!!i don't think it can hurt my bike.

also if you extend the swinger,to wheelie less,then you add more power to bike it will spin more,making it slide in the corners better,and wheelie less
Ya, I'm not really into extending aluminum swingers but thanks for asking. :beer
The most common swinger mods I hear of is anywhere from -1 to +2. I'm at -1 and love it but my front is pushed out a hair too. Obviously if you're looking to keep the front down you want + and probably +1.25 would be a good choice.

BigGreenMachine
09-29-2005, 08:45 PM
your a pud,hows that,lol

HAHAHAAHA!!!! :lol: :lol:

Extending the swingarm will definately take away some from tight cornering but I don't see it ruining the bikes handling like you think. Extend the wheelbase and widen the stance was always the way the old racers went. From what I hear the R's length was set up pretty nice for MX so maybe lowering the pegs to get your mass more centered would be the ideal move. :TrikesOwn

3leggeddog
09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
yeah the -1 trx on my 86atcr is too short,turns on a dime,but wheelies in every gear,uncontrolablly.

max
09-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Come Up And Ride Mine Drock. Im At +2. See How You Like It. I Turn Just Fine.

cliff2302
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
My T3 is a +3, and i think the thing turns on a dime. But, T3's and R's maybe different, i suppose you'll just have to try it out. IMO, 1-2 inches on a 5 foot machine can't really effect the turnability too much, but thats just me

HRC1
09-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda MX atc 250r's were extended 1-1/2 inch over stock. I have a spare i'm doing that to, just don't know when. I'm 5'8 and the front is always on the air even on my tight track. Even the powroll race 200x's had a +1-1/4 or 1-1/2 on them. I steer with the rear anyways. Shouldn't be a problem.

OldSchoolin86
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda MX atc 250r's were extended 1-1/2 inch over stock.
Not all of them, there were a couple -1's. ;)

Jason Hall
09-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Derrick I think you should start with the frame, & build exactly what you need into it. Measure the wheelbase of the stock machine first. You can probly get away with 1" or 2" longer on the swingarm. Once you know the desired wheelbase start adding your suspention parts & mod the frame around them. By the time you raise the rear suspention up it will shorten the wheelbase some (just because you will add angle to the swinger). If you modified the rear engine mount you could probly move your swinger pivot point forward some to keep your wheelbase as short as you can. Another thing you can do is set your ride height with the 500 forks, then change the angle of the front of the frame(the round section where the steering stem bearings go) to bring your wheelbase back close to stock. I have a couple 85-R frames in my barn, & would like to help you modifi a frame to fit your size & riding style. I was talking to a guy at a atv salvage yard in New York that built 2-chrome molly framed 250-R's back in the day, he told me they had to put steel shot, from a shot peen in the frame tubes to balance it to fly right. Man you need to bring your parts up to michigan for a weekend. I could bring home our plazma cutter from work & build a sweet frame for your size. :w00t:

HRC1
10-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Not all of them, there were a couple -1's. ;)
Were those flattrack bikes?