PDA

View Full Version : Question on 250r

markdb420
09-28-2005, 07:48 PM
I am having a problem with my 250r (85). It will start when pull started by another ATV, but will not start if kicking. It will not idle, you have to keep it running with the throttle. I have a manual and used my ohmeter to check the stator, exciter coil and ignition coil, and all test OK (in the range of acceptable Ohms). When you kick it with the plug out of the motor and grounding out it has weak spark. I feel as though myself and my buddies are having brain farts here, what could I be overlooking? I don't have another CDI and the book says that there is really no way to check it out. Help me as I am feeling retarded right now! :mad:

Oh and by the way I had a bad flywheel that was replaced, and the problem just happened last weekend. We were riding and my buddy was on it and we took a break and we just sitting there with our bikes idling (which my 250r did perfectly prior to all this BS) and the 250r just died!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Somekindofjerk
09-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Usually with weak to no spark its the stator, but if you tested the ohms and they read good check and clean your grounds, connections and kill/headlight switch.

markdb420
09-28-2005, 08:49 PM
It will start, and run but will not stay running when idling and cannot be started by kicking it. It has to be pull started

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Check your flywheel key, When I sheared the key on my 85 R it had those exact same symptoms.

markdb420
09-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I just installed a new flywheel, are you talking about the Exciter coil right beside the flywheel.

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-28-2005, 08:56 PM
The flywheel KEY, the "key" that goes into the slot on the crankshaft. If it shears it sets the timing off. Sure it could be brand new, but its a thing that is easily sheared.

markdb420
09-28-2005, 09:14 PM
We checked the flywheel and the flywheel key is good. When this trike is pull started it runs like a scalded dog. It just will not start by kicking and will not stay running at idle. It is really perplexing me. I am thinking that it may be the ignition coil or CDI. Any other suggestions?

x.system
09-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Its probably a long shot but I had a similar situation and found that I had a plugged pilot jet, it wouldn't start without pulling it and it would not idle at all.

Somekindofjerk
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
kick it or pull it slow and put your hand over your airbox input, if you feel a backdraft you have bad valves or valve lash, your compression would be lower also if you have bad valvelash(easy to fix) or as stated above you can take your carb apart to see if it dirty(bowl held on by like 3 philips head screws, clean that out and then if you have an inline fuel filter change it(while off see if gas flows easilly). That should give you some easy things to do for now, just remember that your carb is alluminum and will easilly pull the stud out and strip the carbs stud threads(seen a freind do this, just put a longer bold through with a nut on one side) good luck

freewheel3
09-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Sounds more like a fuel or carb problem to me. I'd check the carb first.

freewheel3
09-28-2005, 09:59 PM
kick it or pull it slow and put your hand over your airbox input, if you feel a backdraft you have bad valves or valve lash, your compression would be lower also if you have bad valvelash(easy to fix) or as stated above you can take your carb apart to see if it dirty(bowl held on by like 3 philips head screws, clean that out and then if you have an inline fuel filter change it(while off see if gas flows easilly). That should give you some easy things to do for now, just remember that your carb is alluminum and will easilly pull the stud out and strip the carbs stud threads(seen a freind do this, just put a longer bold through with a nut on one side) good luck
What valves? It's a 2 stroke.

markdb420
09-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Thing is we had the spark plug out of the head and plugged into the coil and got weak spark or no spark and it won't hit a lick kicking on it buy it'll fire right up when pulled. Then it will not idle after it is started. It is a little sluggish in low RPM and screams mid to top RPMs. I am going to try a new ignition coil, and lowering my pilot jet and see if this helps.

gasmask
09-28-2005, 10:31 PM
i had the same problem with my atc 500...it had a very weak spark and sometimes no spark. the only way i could crank it is by pulling it with a 4 wheeler or truck.also once it was running it would not idle. i tested the stator, coil and on/off switch. the coil reading was out of specs.i bought a coil from service honda for $ 42.00. after replacing the coil the spark was alittle bit strong but wasn't strong enough. so i replaced the cdi. and that was my problem...also remember that just because the test ok don't mean there good.altogether i replaced the complete ign. system...if the spark is blue you're good, but if it's yellow or a white color it's a problem...start with the least cheapest part and work your way up.

oddball3
09-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Check your reeds you might have a brocken or a week reed thats not sealing properly.

daputz
09-29-2005, 12:12 AM
do the easy stuff first...................what is the condition of the reeds? what is the compression at? If it will run after tug starting, the spark and cdi are ok. You need to find out why it will not start under normal conditions.

TeamGeek6
09-29-2005, 01:40 PM
We checked the flywheel and the flywheel key is good. When this trike is pull started it runs like a scalded dog. It just will not start by kicking and will not stay running at idle. It is really perplexing me. I am thinking that it may be the ignition coil or CDI. Any other suggestions?

Weak ignition, happened to me, I had to beg it to start. The cranking speed is about 200 RPM when kicked and the ignition is weak at those speeds to start with. My 86R had a bad plug on the CDI. ITs a kind of "bad" that an ohmmeter wont show, its an intermittient problem.

Motorcycles are notorious for bad wiring because of water and vibration. This is one of my specialties, check out the link in my signature.

markdb420
09-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah it has new reeds and I think it is the coil or CDI, due to the weak spark. I cannot find a good used 85 250R CDI and the part is discontinued. The plug is different on the CDI box than any of the other 86 ATC or 86-89 TRX 250r. I may just have to change the wiring harness over to fit a newer CDI. It would be cool if it is the ignition coil. I hope it works.

Jason Hall
09-29-2005, 10:22 PM
I bet If you take the carb off & clean all the jets, especially the pilot you will fix the problem.

markdb420
10-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Well today we changed ignition coils on the 2 different 250r's and the 85 still will not start unless pulled by another ATV. When it is pull started it runs ruff at low RPM and sounds as though it has a shortage of electrical current. It cuts out a little bit. The bike runs good at mid and top rpm. Could this be the stator? I am thinking it may be needing a CDI box also. See the old flywheel was broken and rattled around a little bit and may have wobbled enough to damage the stator and exciter coil. I know it isn't a carb problem as it ran fine up until the flywheel broke. What is everyones best guess?

gasmask
10-02-2005, 08:54 PM
when it comes to electrical problem anything is possible. if you have a friend who wouldn't mind you swapping complete ignition system then you will half know if yours is bad...then if your bike runs well after the swap then start swapping back piece by piece until you find the problem...unless you just buy another ign.system...after swapping my parts out it was the CDI that was bad. i found out the expense way...but if you need a CDI box or stator 85 model i have them...

markdb420
10-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah see I have the 85 and 86 250rs and have swapped what I can, but the CDI has a different Plug than the 86 and my buddy forgot his flywheel puller today or we were going to switch out the stator. I sounds as though something isn't generating enough current at startup and at low RPM, cuz once it is pull started it screams on mid to top end RPM range. Maybe with buying you parts It will work. I can always use another stator if I didn't need it.