PDA

View Full Version : My 250r Restoration Pics

Aussieduner
09-28-2005, 05:42 AM
I have finally struck a blow and started the restoration on my 250r water pumper,with the help of the JMC workshop im going to show the pic's of the old girl as she is brought back to life !

19th June 2005, this is how i purchased the beast,still in good runing order with a fresh engine re-build

Aussieduner
09-28-2005, 05:51 AM
28th Sep 2005,stripped to frame and fitting of '88 TRX swingarm,almost ready to go to the blasters and powdercoaters.

Parts list for the project,

88 TRX alloy swinger
HRC Short Track Tank Kit
New Front & Rear fenders
New 86 Front Headlight
New 86 Rear Tailight
New OEM fork boots
New OEM Rear Grab Bar

Plus more to come.

Aussie

Paul C.
09-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Hey Aussieduner!
Good to see you've started to pretty up the old girl. Looking forward to seeing the project progress.

Aussieduner
09-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Hey Aussieduner!
Good to see you've started to pretty up the old girl. Looking forward to seeing the project progress.

Im on a roll now so i should be ready for summer riding.

Cheers
Aussie

petesatc
09-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Hey Tony
looking great ....lol
what engine in the 200x in the first photo?????

Aussieduner
09-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey Tony
looking great ....lol
what engine in the 200x in the first photo?????

Hi Pete
I was looking at that today,its one of those Honda knock offs i think,my mates workshop is full of trikes and quads.He has a lot of ATC 70's with huge motors fitted,he's a member here..Green Human aka JMC Racing.
I will be back over there tomorrow to finsh the frame and drop it off and the powdercoaters.

Here's JMC's web site

www.jmcracing.com.au

Cheers
Aussie

petesatc
09-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey Tony
ask greenie what it goes like?? is it better than the honda unit??
sorry for highjacking the thread...
cheers
Pete

Aussieduner
09-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey Tony
ask greenie what it goes like?? is it better than the honda unit??
sorry for highjacking the thread...
cheers
Pete

Will do and i will find out what it is etc.

Cheers
Aussie

Yamahauler
09-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Hey Tony,
The 250's looking pretty nice are you going to be soupin' up the motor?

Cory

wanta86r
09-28-2005, 10:45 AM
what did you have to do to get the 88 trx swinger to work? you have a nice start it looks like.

jsimonh
09-28-2005, 11:06 AM
That thing looks nicer in the first picture then half the 250R's I've seen. You'll probably have that thing looking unreal when you get it finished.

Billy Golightly
09-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Man that thing looks really good with the 88 trx aluminum swingarm. :drool:

Aussieduner
09-28-2005, 06:59 PM
what did you have to do to get the 88 trx swinger to work? you have a nice start it looks like.

Hey thanks for the interest guys.
The 88 & 89 TRX swinger fits the 85/86 ATC with little trouble,once the stock arm is removed you will notice the lower rear engine mounts are a "floating" type setup.You then have to weld 2 small steel lugs to the frame for the bottom mount,i will get a picture of this mod today,its a very small job !
No plans for doing the motor probably only a pipe and some chrome bits.

Cheers
Aussie

200xcellent
09-28-2005, 07:17 PM
3leggeddog put a trx swinger on his r and now the thing is a wheelie maniac!

Aussieduner
09-29-2005, 05:38 AM
I like wheelie's !!
Today the engine lugs were welded in,snapped off exhaust mount bolt removed and the bottom radiator overflow bottle bottom mount welded back on.
Frame is getting a wire brush and degrease tomorrow and another once over for any cracks or extra welding and its off the the powdercoaters ;-)
Is getting warmer and the dunes are calling........ :w00t:

Cheers
Aussieduner

Full credit to the JMC Racing facility for workshop space !!

edog
09-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Frame looks like it could use a good sandblasting and fresh paint.

Aussieduner
09-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Frame looks like it could use a good sandblasting and fresh paint.

Thats were it's going tomorrow,Prostrip...... :D

Paul C.
09-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Hey Aussieduner.
Looks as though your plans have changed. She dosen't look as though she's going to end up back to original as first intended.
I like what you've done, that swingarm looks sick!

P.S. Love the spread on you and your PILOT in ATV ACTION! Very cool!

Aussieduner
09-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey Aussieduner.
Looks as though your plans have changed. She dosen't look as though she's going to end up back to original as first intended.
I like what you've done, that swingarm looks sick!

P.S. Love the spread on you and your PILOT in ATV ACTION! Very cool!

Hi Paul
Hey thanks,the mag shoot was cool ! I decided to make a copy of Tony Cabans excellent 86 ATC,its one of the best in Australia and has the TRX swingarm mod.Im working on having the trike featured in the next ATV Action with the restoration story etc.

Cheers
Aussieduner

Aussieduner
10-14-2005, 06:58 AM
Picked up the frame today from the powdercoaters,im very happy with the job.Heres a few pics of the rebuild process.
*New OEM rear grab bar fitted.
*New 86 OEM rear tail light.
*Short Track radiator cradles freshly powdercoated.
*All brand new bolts used to refit parts.

Cheers
Aussieduner

Aussieduner
10-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Few more parts added and a test fit of the short track tank and new fenders.Still waiting on a few parts from the US to arrive,86 headlight and new OEM fork boots plus fittings for the '88 swingarm.

Aussie

wanta86r
10-14-2005, 09:49 AM
looks like its comin along nicely. You arent using oem rear fenders though? i hate the cost of oem , but love the look.what kind of powerplant is goin in that baby? keep up the good work.

jsimonh
10-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Are those footpegs chrome? :wondering

That thing is going to look sick! :w00t:

Aussieduner
10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
looks like its comin along nicely. You arent using oem rear fenders though? i hate the cost of oem , but love the look.what kind of powerplant is goin in that baby? keep up the good work.

Hey thanks for taking a look.
My budget has allowed for new Maier fenders only as i sourced them here in Australia but i will be using the '86 decals on them care of Harlan.The motor was a fresh rebuild when i purchased the machine a few months back so im only going to give it a repaint in gunmetal grey and add a nice chrome pipe and silencer.

Cheers
Aussie

Aussieduner
10-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Are those footpegs chrome? :wondering

That thing is going to look sick! :w00t:

Yep they are chrome and so is the brake,they were all chromed when i picked her up.Im also installing all the frame decals again care of ATC Heaven here in Australia..thanks Ric.

Aussie

Aussieduner
10-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Todays progress,
Polished and installed rear shock and linkage arms
Airbox cleaned and installed.(K&N filter)
Wiring harness cleaned retaped and installed.
Radiators cleaned,painted and installed.

Im using a temp swingarm bolt till the new one arrives,also need a 86 axle carrier.

Aussie

petesatc
10-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey Tony
looking great bud and the swinger does'nt look -1" at all.....your R should be unbeatable on a mx track ...it'll turn on a penny now :D :D

twgranger
10-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Looks great! You should find some shiney rims for it.

mart
10-17-2005, 04:55 AM
Hey paul was that your 250r originally.

Aussieduner
10-17-2005, 05:03 AM
Hey paul was that your 250r originally.

Yep its Paul old 250R trike,i have replaced a lot of this machine with new or refurbished parts as well as the '88 TRX swingarm.

Cheers
Aussie
PS
Where are you in Newy ? I want to organise a trike ride up at Stockton this summer as im getting another feature in ATV Action mag.

mart
10-17-2005, 05:04 AM
Thought so looked very familiar.

Aussieduner
10-20-2005, 05:11 AM
I have added some new frame decals care of ATC Heaven NSW Australia.Also picked up a new swingarm bolt,'88 TRX brake bracket.

Aussieduner

Aussieduner
11-02-2005, 04:35 AM
WooHooo
A big box of parts arrived from the good 'ole USA today.

OEM fork boots fitted...very nice.
TRX swingarm cushion bolt and chain slider all fitted up as well as new axle bolt bushes.
Harlans repro 250R decals fitted.
Handle bars and other assorted parts still at powdercoaters getting a nice coat of satin black,due back this week.

The bad news........my 86 headlight shell turned up as an 85,,oh well back it goes tomorrow to be swapped.

Cheers
Aussieduner

snakemaster
11-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Very nice r any engine mods? what pipe you going to run, keep up the good
work, i like the foot pegs, Geting me a 86 r next week but it needs a full rebuild

Aussieduner
11-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Very nice r any engine mods? what pipe you going to run, keep up the good
work, i like the foot pegs, Geting me a 86 r next week but it needs a full rebuild

Hey thanks.
Motor wise pretty much stock but will be running a pipe and silencer,engine mods maybe later.Ive enjoyed this project so much im looking at getting another one ASAP.
86r great weapon of choice,its not the one PetesATC shipped in today ?

Cheers
Aussie

Paul C.
11-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Hey paul was that your 250r originally.Yeh Mart, thats her. I've found someone new.
Isn't she just beautiful?
Call me next time your going riding.
Looking good Tony!!

Aussieduner
11-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Yeh Mart, thats her. I've found someone new.
Isn't she just beautiful?
Call me next time your going riding.
Looking good Tony!!

Hey Paul that background looks very familiar.Im organising a trike feature for the next ATV Action issue with a restoration story and some action shots of the best ATC's in Newcastle,are you in ? The editor is very keen on this happening !

Cheers
Aussie

PS
The old girl is now a hybrid 85/86 & 88 model...LOL,so many new parts on it now it even smells brand new.

Paul C.
11-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Hey Paul that background looks very familiar.Im organising a trike feature for the next ATV Action issue with a restoration story and some action shots of the best ATC's in Newcastle,are you in ? The editor is very keen on this happening !

Cheers
Aussie

PS
The old girl is now a hybrid 85/86 & 88 model...LOL,so many new parts on it now it even smells brand new.
Just let me know when mate, and i'll be there. :w00t:

petesatc
11-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Hey thanks.
Motor wise pretty much stock but will be running a pipe and silencer,engine mods maybe later.Ive enjoyed this project so much im looking at getting another one ASAP.
86r great weapon of choice,its not the one PetesATC shipped in today ?

Cheers
Aussie
nope the one i have just had shipped in is Jez's:D :D :D :D :D he going to be a happy boy when he gets back from Dudai:D :D :D :D

Aussieduner
11-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Axle carrier is going in tomorrow with new bearings and seals,bars and other fiddly bits are powdercoated and ready to be picked up.Im hang'in to ride this sucker !!
Im after another 250r here in Australia if anyone has one ? (must be an 86)

Aussie

Stu-Pedasso
11-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Thats a very nice 250r, I've got to get me one of those.

edog
11-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Looking real good.

Aussieduner
12-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Ok im back on track with the rebuild,this thing is a money pit thats for sure.

New OEM Fork Boots Fitted.
New 86 Headlight fitted (thanks to Hillside Honda)
New OEM front fender (not shown in pic,will install later)
Bars powdercoated and fitted.
All new TRX swingarm hardware(again Hillside Honda)
New engine from a spares trike i purchased.
CT Pipe(away getting nickel plated)
New coolant bottle.
86 Toolbox
86 Axle(just been gold nickel plated)
86 Brake Caliper(to be repainted shortly)

These parts are ordered and will be fitted shortly :w00t:
New 86 light switch
New OEM hand grips and end caps
New 86 Tool Box(to replace current one)
New OEM 86 rear fender

I hope my wife dosent see this post or she will cut my NUTS off !!!! :lol:

Cheers
Aussie

edog
12-09-2005, 10:57 AM
That is going to be real nice,keep up the good work.I am restoring a 1985 200X.

OZQUAD44
12-09-2005, 01:17 PM
If you blokes are going to have a trike session at stockton get the word out with a bit of notice, I know of at least one trike rider in Brisbane who hasn't ridden with another trike since the 80s, love to put my Tecate up against some honda trash.......... ha ha

2XTREME
12-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Tony,
Nice job,Looking good!!!!
Did you have the foot pegs chromed,Or what is up with them being so shiny.I like them.
X:wondering

Aussieduner
12-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Yep chromed they were like that when i purchased her.

Aussie

Aussieduner
12-09-2005, 05:30 PM
If you blokes are going to have a trike session at stockton get the word out with a bit of notice, I know of at least one trike rider in Brisbane who hasn't ridden with another trike since the 80s, love to put my Tecate up against some honda trash.......... ha ha

Hey is that you Tod ? I will get a post together as this will coincide with a magazine shoot for ATV Action Australia and get these 3 wheelers back in a mag ! As you know there is some awesome 3 wheeler hardware here in Australia that owners have spent a fortune on and they deserve to be exposed !

Cheers
Aussie

3leggeddog
12-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Hey Tony
looking great bud and the swinger does'nt look -1" at all.....your R should be unbeatable on a mx track ...it'll turn on a penny now :D :D

these were my thoughts when i done the swap.the bike will get much better traction coming out of the corners.the problem is it's too much traction,she just wants to wheelie.the turning radius was amazing though.real fun to ride too.the mod just isn't that great for mx.the bike wheelies,and bites too hard.doesn't do much good to have all that power if you can't use it!!!

man they look super siick though!!!!!!!

Aussieduner
12-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Im not intending to ride it that much as my Pilot is my main dune machine,just a once in a while trike that looks trick and gets an outing every month.
Ive got my eye on an '86 250r frame at the local wreckers i want to rebuild and ive just done a huge order from Hillside Honda on parts for it.

Aussie

Aussieduner
12-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Im almost there just got to fit the new engine and get the pipe back from the platers and im up an running !

Aussie

3leggeddog
12-13-2005, 06:22 PM
looking good,i love the trx swinger.hope your ready for a crazy ride

Paul C.
12-16-2005, 06:28 AM
If you blokes are going to have a trike session at stockton get the word out with a bit of notice, I know of at least one trike rider in Brisbane who hasn't ridden with another trike since the 80s, love to put my Tecate up against some honda trash.......... ha ha We are at Stockton every Saturday morning. You'll find at least 6 to 10 of us on three wheelers, If your keen to make the trip down, just drop us a message on 3ww and we'll meet you there.
One of the blokes who rides with us has a brother in Brisbane who comes down a couple of times a year to ride his dirt bike in the sand with us, he wouldn't mind you tagen along if you needed a traveling partner.
But I think that ugly green thing is going to feel a bit out of place hangin out with all the red rockets.
I guess you could try and keep up!

Aussieduner
12-20-2005, 07:19 PM
More OEM parts have been added,not much of the original tike is left only the frame and forks...man ive spent some $ on this thing,

'86 wiring harness and CDI
New '86 handlebar switch
New factory coil
New factory axle nut
New wheel studs
New lug nuts

Almost done !

Aussie

BigGreenMachine
12-22-2005, 01:36 AM
We are at Stockton every Saturday morning. You'll find at least 6 to 10 of us on three wheelers, If your keen to make the trip down, just drop us a message on 3ww and we'll meet you there.
One of the blokes who rides with us has a brother in Brisbane who comes down a couple of times a year to ride his dirt bike in the sand with us, he wouldn't mind you tagen along if you needed a traveling partner.
But I think that ugly green thing is going to feel a bit out of place hangin out with all the red rockets.
I guess you could try and keep up!

Looks like he has the 86 Tecate, ugly? No and I doubt he'll have a hard time staying with you lads either.:lol:

Aussieduner
01-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Well the money keeps on going out but she is almost done,not much of the original bike is left only frame,forks and a few small bits.
Ok its had the following since last post,

New sprockets.
New sprocket studs.
New '86 toolbox.
New rear brake cup.
New reco motor(previous had chain damage to casing)

X2guy
01-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Well the money keeps on going out but she is almost done,not much of the original bike is left only frame,forks and a few small bits.
Ok its had the following since last post,

New sprockets.
New sprocket studs.
New '86 toolbox.
New rear brake cup.
New reco motor(previous had chain damage to casing)

I know what you are going through... $$$. You look to be going to the same extent in your restoration as I have but it's well worth it. She looks good. Here's a few pics of mine.

X2guy
01-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I also forgot to mention that my swinger is a -2. Heh...It's going to be a wild ride!

Aussieduner
01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I also forgot to mention that my swinger is a -2. Heh...It's going to be a wild ride!

Your project looks excellent !
I ended up buying 2 of everything with the brand new parts as im looking for another one to do soon as this one is complete so ive spend big $.
Heres a pic of the old girl the day i picked her up,a little untidy but still in reasonable condition.

Cheers
Aussie

trainingwheeler
01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
it looked damn good when you picked it up

Aussieduner
01-21-2006, 06:00 AM
Well today was the day i finally had it all together,put some juice in the tank and second kick i had the sweet sound of a Honda 2 stroke mmmmmmmm
Like a kid in a candy store i grabbed the helmet and out to my street for a quick ride to see if all was well,one slow pass all was good so i went for the second pass with a little more gas and this baby came to life,did the most awesome wheelstand i have ever done...F%%K Yeah...this bike feels like its brand new,tight,responsive and an excellent power spread !

Worth every $ ive spent on it !!!!!

Aussie

jsimonh
01-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Now all we need are some action :pics: ! Good to here that all is well with the resto.

Aussieduner
01-22-2006, 10:47 PM
All together and running,still needs the shrouds cut back and polished and decals fitted and im going to add a little more chrome and polished bits etc also a new set of levers is on the way.

Aussie

PS forgot the braided brake lines and new Douglas rear rims are also going on shortly.

ATCT
01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
All together and running,still needs the shrouds cut back and polished and decals fitted and im going to add a little more chrome and polished bits etc also a new set of levers is on the way.

Aussie

PS forgot the braided brake lines and new Douglas rear rims are also going on shortly.
I was wondering, where did you find the braided brake line? I need one for my 200X. The one on there at the moment looks like hell.

Aussieduner
01-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I was wondering, where did you find the braided brake line? I need one for my 200X. The one on there at the moment looks like hell.

Hi There
A friend of mine owns a ATV parts store and manufactures the lines to suit your machine,he buys the the line and fittings and makes them up.

www.jmcracing.com.au

Aussie