PDA

View Full Version : what does this swingarm fit???

200x Basket
02-15-2003, 10:00 PM
any clue

atc86r
02-15-2003, 10:05 PM
blaster

CartmanKXT250
02-15-2003, 10:39 PM
looks like an 84-85 Tecate swing to me....the dead give away is that slotted bottom piece...on the 84-85 Tecates the top bolt is secure, and the bottoms are your adjustments that swing forward/back for chain adjustment...hope this helps

200x Basket
02-15-2003, 10:41 PM
cool. i hoped that is what it is. here is a blaster swinger, not even close.

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_041ca9fe6d84fe8a7f5d5e194178002e/i-1.JPG

Jeb
02-16-2003, 01:12 AM
Geeeeze! I cant believe this!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Great Find!

I've been looking for one of those for the past 4 years. Haven't seen not one. Then in the last week I F*@ked up (sniped just a little too soon and then got sniped) and missed one on ebay and now one shows up on here!

200Xbasket, just curious someone probably gave it to you didn't they... :-D

Anyway I believe what you have there is an aluminum Cal-Fab swingarm for the 86/87 KXT 250 Tecate. It's definitely Tecate. The reason I think it's 86/87 is the way the chain buffers on top and bottom of the swingarm are laid out. The 84/85 had a much different 1 piece chain buffer. Measure the length of it and well see if it's a plus 2 over stock.

They are out there. Maybe soon I will find one.If you decide you want to sell it, name your price!

Here's a pic of the one I missed on ebay

:-D

200x Basket
02-16-2003, 01:25 AM
if it is an 86 can i make it work on my 85? i think it is +4" i compared it to my stock 85 but i cant remember. oh and it cost me $50

Howdy
02-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Here is a 86 Tecate swing arm. This is off a 86.

Jeb
02-16-2003, 01:39 AM
Man some people have all the luck!

I'm not sure if it will fit the 85. I bet it will bolt up to the frame and linkage no problem but the 86 has a bigger carrier so I'm not sure the 85 carrier will bolt in.

Might as well sell it to me and make your money back and some dough on top!!!

:-D :-D :-D

200x Basket
02-16-2003, 02:22 AM
here was one on ebay. it does not look like mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402549090&category=34286

Jeb
02-16-2003, 03:25 AM
Thats the one I missed. All those pictures show the bottom side of the swingarm. The pic above I posted of it is one the people sent me while the auction was running. Here's another, look at the side view in the top of the picture. It's just upside down, no decals, and cleaner than yours. Also yours is missing the rod that bolts between the carrier ends that has mounts for skid-plates. Your's has the holes for it. I don't know whats up with that black chain guide on the ebay one. I see yours doesn't have mount holes there. Someone must have added that. That is not anywhere near what the 86 Tecate chain guide is.

MIK6
02-18-2003, 07:16 PM
I've been away for a few days and missed this post.

A great find!! What you have is a 84/85 T3 swingarm. You can tell by the 4 bolts that hold on the carrior, a 86/87 runs 5. I am shocked you missed that JEB, LOL. But you are correct, that it looks like it has 86/87 chain sliders on it(not sure if it was stock like that from calfab).

Now I know where 2 are. I'm looking for a 86/87 Cal-Fab also, if anyone has any leads.

MIK6

Jeb
02-18-2003, 07:56 PM
aw, yes the 86 has 5 bolts on the carrier, BUT, I have some pictures of Jimmy White's 86 Tecate in a build your own replica mag article and the Cal-Fab he uses only has 4 bolt holes like an 85. It doesn't say in the article but he may be running a whole 85 carrier. I'll have to study closer. He's got the 84 hubs on it, which means the axle has the larger splines. It's a finish line axle, perhaps the same as your axle MIK.

It could sure be for an 85, as they made them for all years of Tecate. I believe 200xbasket said it measures about 4" longer than stock 85. Since 84/85 swingarms are shorter than 86, wouldn't that put it just right at +2 over an 86 model swingarm? Most of them were only +2.

I've got a fresh rebuilt flywheel that's never been on an engine. It's nice and we all know how much they go for. I would trade in a heartbeat for that Cal-Fab!

:-D

JohnR.
02-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Jeb,

I have to apologize, it was me that sniped you on that arm. But if it'll make you feel better I am doing a full resto on a beautiful '86. I used to post here a few years back under the username JohnR. Anyway I figured you'd just feel a little better knowing it found a good home. I was hunting around the board here to see if I could find out what kind mine was and I came across this post. The reason it looks so clean is that it was sandblasted before the pics, anyway it should be a good starting point for some nice polishing. Now that you probably hate me can you send over some of the pics/articles of that "How to Build a Racer Replica" article or tell me what year/month/magazine it was in? I'd love to use the info for this build up.

Sorry Again.

John

200x Basket
02-19-2003, 10:31 PM
i can buy a new stator and flywheels all day for $200 (ricky stator) but i will never get this lucky again. sorry it is not for sale 8) besided i think i just came across a 86 t3 for pocket lint :D it also has a spare rear end but i think it is stock. i will know more on monday

Jeb
02-20-2003, 11:45 PM
Sure I remember you JohnR! Where you hiding ChrisD these days? I'm glad to hear the Cal-Fab is going to a good home. I had nightmares thinking whoever won was just interested in the axle and would cut up and extend the swingarm or worse!! :shock: I drove my poor little wife crazy talking about it all week. Since I was runner-up, I stayed in touch with the seller all week, just in case the winning bidder ended up not coming through. :-D

That axle was a good find too. I got extra pics, but I couldn't tell if the wheel hub splines are the smaller 86 type or the larger 85 splines, the pics were blurry. i'm wanting to build an 86 racer too. I've got most of the other parts and accessories. Just need a swingarm, axle, and few other items. I thought my ship had come in on that auction. I'll try to get that JWR article scanned and over to you. It's in may 86 3&4 wheel action. It's only two pages and I wish it went more in depth. He ran an OMF skid plate on that Cal-Fab. You ought to call OMF and ask them about that because it's a killer looking setup.

Congrats on the Treasure! Good talking to you and I can't wait to see the trike when your done. :-D

200xbasket, if you luck into anymore, you've got a sure buyer here!

200x Basket
02-21-2003, 01:14 AM
how about if i took it to a shop and had you one made? whats it worth to you. i am not looking to profit but i would allow mine to be coppied at a local shop.

200x Basket
02-21-2003, 02:51 AM
lots of pics compairing to a 85 swinger right here.

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=41400#post41400

JohnR.
02-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks in advance Jeb. It appears to have the '86 splines but I am no Kawi expert, I am a 250r man. Chris is around, he is kinda busy lately as I have been for the last few months but he was up here a few times this winter to do some laps on the ice.

John