PDA

View Full Version : Household items for repairs You ever use any?

Huffa
09-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I thought this would be an interesting thread as to see what items we have come up with from house when maybe in a pinch and need it to ride or for permenant repair.

This fender I really didn't care how I repaired it (not worth alot) but wanted it soilid because I sold it to a member on here. Didn't have any bendable metal around to do the job and didn't want to make a project of running to get some so I used a brass light switch cover to do the heavy part of the crack. Riveted it + epoxied it on. It worked fine and that's all that counts.

mx600
09-27-2005, 08:53 AM
when I welded up some gussets on the bottom of my frame I didn't have an scrap steel available, so I went to the local hardware store and picked up some electrical box covers for the repair. They weren't just laying around the house but it's the same idea.

Huffa
09-27-2005, 08:57 AM
when I welded up some gussets on the bottom of my frame I didn't have an scrap steel available, so I went to the local hardware store and picked up some electrical box covers for the repair. They weren't just laying around the house but it's the same idea.

Yep, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! :beer

Knowing you :lol: I'll bet you have other repairs if you think about it.

This was the first household repair job that I ever did or rather that I can remember.

mx600
09-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Yep, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! :beer

Knowing you :lol: I'll bet you have other repairs if you think about it.

This was the first household repair job that I ever did or rather that I can remember.

Another one:

I used to have a '79 XL125. The previous owner gave the seat cover that custom duct tape job. I hated it, so I recovered it with an old blue T-shirt from and ex-girlfriend. I stretched it tight and screwed it into the seat base with metal screws (metal base) and it looked great and held up for 2 years until I sold the bike. It was one of those super thick T-shirts, so I don't think any regular Hanes shirt would work.

SPD FRK
09-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I used an expensive curtain for a seat cover. It was rubber backed so I thought it would be waterproof but it wasn't. It was gold on one side and white on the other. I used it white side up and it looked pretty cool but wasn't very functional.

freewheel3
09-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh for sure. Cupboard door hinges for gussets on cracked fenders.
Butter knives for screwdrivers / pry bars / line up tools.
No turkey basters left in the house. They're great for sucking oil out of things that you can't get the drain plug out of.
No measuring cups left in the house either. They're great for refilling things that don't have dipsticks or for front forks.
Used some shelves out of the fridge for a parts washer strainer once. (Wife was REALLY pissed at that one)