PDA

View Full Version : white smoke and knocking?

tri-z_250R
09-26-2005, 08:32 PM
i took my 185s riding this weekend an it was running alright, then today after we brought it back i started it up and it was blowing out whitish/ light grey smoke. the smoke wasn't exremely bad but when I revved it, it would blow out a big cloud of smoke. also it has been knocking for some time now but now it seems to be getting worse. it sounds like i have an air leak but i couldn't find one and where yet.

also the spark plag shows that its running how it should be but just a little bit darker than the roasted marshmellow color.

any suggestions as to whats wrong? time for a rebuild maby?

freewheel3
09-26-2005, 08:43 PM
How's the oil look? Any sign of water contamination in it?
I've seen white smoke coming from engines when there is a coolant leak into the engine or when air cooled engines have a lot of water in the oil.

Dammit!
09-27-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree. Sounds like water in either the oil or the gas.

tri-z_250R
09-28-2005, 05:14 PM
ok well maby... but now the smoke started getting darker, and then one time it back fired and a big burst of black smoke came out. could that be from the same thing (water)?

EDIT: also when i was riding i rolled it (long story) after i did that i lost some oil but i hadn't noticed it.... i was running it for about an hour with about 1/4 to 1/3 quart of oil in it, could this contribute to the smoke

Somekindofjerk
09-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Could be water, way too much gas, or bad valves/valve lash, allso check compression(best to use compression tester but if it blows your thumb right off your good.

84250r
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
What octane are you running?

Somekindofjerk
09-28-2005, 07:04 PM
prob. just the reg. with prices being how they are

tri-z_250R
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah im running regular always have. what should the compression be at? also whats valve lash?

freewheel3
09-28-2005, 10:19 PM
yeah im running regular always have. what should the compression be at? also whats valve lash?
Rolling the trike might have dislodged some crap in the fuel system & now it's stuck in the carb. Give it a cleaning & check the operation of the floats while you have it apart.
Normal compression is 156 PSI. + or - 14 PSI.
Valve lash is the clearance between the rocker arm & the valve stem. Should be .002" on both intake & exhaust.