PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Tire Grooving...

Kaysen
09-25-2005, 11:39 PM
I have been thinking about doing some play/exhibition flattracking on our 250R's (ATC and TRX). I have asked around all the late-80's racers in this area and all said either get some Ohtsu R903H (yeah right... at the local dealership) or groove some lawnmower/golf cart tires.

Most said the grooved tires were as good as the more expensive options for this area's tracks: everything from 3/8 mile clay ovals to indoor barrel racing. All said they had different groove patterns for each tire: Turf Saver, Turf Tamer, mower tires, cart tires etc...

Does anyone remember some of these patterns? I found a set of the original tires a local racer cut on, but they are of questionable design. Another local racer said he would spin the tires on pavement until the tread was gone and then cut a Ohtsu-style pattern into the rubber... Any ideas?

Old 179
09-26-2005, 11:23 PM
For MX

Old Honda rider trick I seen and used was a set of Armstrong Multi Trac that had a s thread pattern.They had 3 full s "end to end" and 2 halves " one inside and one outside" across the tire on a 30 decree angle. You would remove every 3rd row of 3 "s" . leave the outside halves in place. They hook up on mx. those open treads would dig in dirt like shovels. I have look for some lately but they have been discontinued years ago

corndawg
09-26-2005, 11:45 PM
just get some hoosier mini sprint tires???

CoeShow
09-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Kaysen,

Please don't waste your time with the Ohtsu's! Ohtsu's never worked worth nickel.

Hoosier tires were the best tires available for 3 wheel racing, believe me. I don't know how many MORE races I could have won if I wasn't FORCED to run Ohtsu tires back in my racing days.

You would probably have better luck finding the Hoosiers as well. Tri-Tracs WORKED! 3+ compounds to choose from.

Mike Coe

NOS_350X
09-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Well the tritracs are alright they dont make them in a soft enough compound. The mini sprint's are a much better and come in a MUCH softer compound. And i happen to be selling some. Pm me for more information about them.